U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-13-2019, 11:17 PM

2,263 posts, read 1,326,804 times

Advertisements

Redundant photos, curtains look sloppy, terrible shot of kitchen..assessed at 190 with taxes 8000? Could do better outside of Pittsburgh for 70k. Not the worst listing, but not meticulous, at all. That tree looks kind of dead, too..that is all you notice on the first seven photos. Love the nice dry basement, though. There is a cancer in PA, sorry to say..only police, fire, and teachers are paid well..tax, tax, tax...simply to pay interest on debts and feed union corruption.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-14-2019, 12:22 AM

1,132 posts, read 417,976 times
Well the house is not styled but it is so cheap. I prefer properties not be styled, reduces the pool of potential buyers for those of us who can see past the styling.

Old 09-14-2019, 03:45 AM

3,286 posts, read 1,999,180 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skipito View Post
The ornamental spoon racks and the bric a brac cabinets and shelves. It's grandma's house for sure.
Could have been grandma's furniture but not her house. Or it could have been furniture they bought cheaply at a yard sale or something. It's weird because there is so little furniture that it looks like no one actually lives there, but what's left looks like it could have been an attempt at staging.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flamingo13 View Post
I have no idea why OP thinks it's a "crappy listing" - unless he/she has a personal interest in it. The house is what it is - photos are fine, etc.
I have no personal interest in it. I think the photos make the house look awful. But obviously the owners think it's fine, so I'm not surprised some other people think so too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hal Roach View Post
Redundant photos, curtains look sloppy, terrible shot of kitchen..assessed at 190 with taxes 8000? Could do better outside of Pittsburgh for 70k. Not the worst listing, but not meticulous, at all. That tree looks kind of dead, too..that is all you notice on the first seven photos. Love the nice dry basement, though. There is a cancer in PA, sorry to say..only police, fire, and teachers are paid well..tax, tax, tax...simply to pay interest on debts and feed union corruption.
Not that it really matters, but this isn't outside Pittsburgh. It's outside Philly. If you think PA is all about tax tax tax, you don't know it very well. It has a GOP controlled legislature and has for some time. Lots of people there are very anti-tax for anything.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarisaMay View Post
Well the house is not styled but it is so cheap. I prefer properties not be styled, reduces the pool of potential buyers for those of us who can see past the styling.
I actually do, too. My previous house looked quite a bit like this on on the inside. That's why we were able to get it for a lot less after it sat on the market for a while. One neighbor who moved in after we did had looked at our house when they were looking to move (they later bought another house a few houses down from us which was significantly smaller) and remarked "I don't know why we didn't buy this house," after she was in my house after we'd been there a couple of years.

Old 09-14-2019, 05:06 AM

1,629 posts, read 1,649,563 times
Well, it says it's "under contract" so maybe someone liked it? Definitely not my style. Way too much white and open space. It is very plain, like no one did anything to make it their own. Though if someone likes that kind of thing or can see past the dullness and the possibilities, it just looks like an average listing to me. I saw tons of these kinds of listings when I was looking for my own house; I just figured the people selling really didn't have much taste and/or ability to furnish it well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vladlensky View Post
I agree that they would have been better off just completely clearing the house than keeping the random assortment of seemingly abandoned furniture.
My impression is that it's stuff they couldn't take at the time. I hope it's not an attempt at staging--that would be a rather miserable attempt!

Quote:
Originally Posted by vladlensky View Post
That said, the PRICE - wow. Sometimes I hate being in a high COL area.
Yeah, really! When I see some housing prices in higher cost of living areas, I'm so glad of where I live now! Moving here (south-central PA) from NC, I thought this place was a high COL. Definitely not as bad as it gets out there. (Yet NC was so cheap--gosh do I miss those prices!).

Last edited by Basiliximab; 09-14-2019 at 05:15 AM..

Old 09-14-2019, 07:40 AM

11,037 posts, read 5,161,083 times
I've seen a lot worse listings. Ones were there is clutter or too much furniture crammed into a small space, unmade beds with laundry piled up on the floor, kitchens with mismatched appliances and dishes piled up in the sink, bathrooms with the toilet bowl up and a plunger sitting on the floor next to it and stuff all over the counters. I could go on but you get the picture. I don't think this listing is bad at all. I would put it on my list of houses I like enough to see a second time.

Old 09-14-2019, 08:01 AM

3,945 posts, read 2,718,277 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Basiliximab View Post
Well, it says it's "under contract" so maybe someone liked it? Definitely not my style. Way too much white and open space. It is very plain, like no one did anything to make it their own. Though if someone likes that kind of thing or can see past the dullness and the possibilities, it just looks like an average listing to me. I saw tons of these kinds of listings when I was looking for my own house; I just figured the people selling really didn't have much taste and/or ability to furnish it well.

My impression is that it's stuff they couldn't take at the time. I hope it's not an attempt at staging--that would be a rather miserable attempt!

Yeah, really! When I see some housing prices in higher cost of living areas, I'm so glad of where I live now! Moving here (south-central PA) from NC, I thought this place was a high COL. Definitely not as bad as it gets out there. (Yet NC was so cheap--gosh do I miss those prices!).
Not sure when this was or in what part of the state..

But right now; in the Triangle; I would not characterize this as a "cheap" place to live. Unless you are comparing to NYC, DC, CA.

Put the house pictured here in Cary, Apex, North Raleigh, Chapel Hill...it would be a steal.

This is the type of listing I'd encourage buyers who have "lost" in multiple-offer situations to go after. Tons of potential; mostly cosmetic updates needed inside. Great opportunity to get a solid home in an active market.

That house is also killing it with the Home Alone/ Father of the Bride type curb appeal.

Old 09-14-2019, 01:09 PM

4,674 posts, read 7,854,100 times
I see nothing really wrong that a little updating wouldn't take care of. And yes, what's there screams builder grade.

That house in my neck of the woods would be listed in the low 700's with 12,000+ annual property tax.

That house is in a fairly high tax area of PA.

Old 09-14-2019, 01:14 PM

240 posts, read 48,784 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chicagoliz View Post
Could have been grandma's furniture but not her house. Or it could have been furniture they bought cheaply at a yard sale or something. It's weird because there is so little furniture that it looks like no one actually lives there, but what's left looks like it could have been an attempt at staging.
It's why I thought divorce initially. It looks like the furniture that nobody wanted after they split everything, then I saw the spoon racks and thought maybe it was grandma's place and the kids all took what they wanted and left the junk behind.

Anyway, it's a terrible job of listing what is probably a really good house.

Old 09-14-2019, 01:25 PM

9,160 posts, read 8,507,107 times
Not nearly as bad as I thought. Just looks like unprofessional staging, but the home is clean and it's easy to envision your own things in the rooms.

I'm more annoyed that there are 8 pictures of the front of the house. Yeah, got it the first time.

Old 09-14-2019, 03:51 PM

455 posts, read 415,530 times
After reading the OP, I thought I was going to see horrible pics, dark, unfocused, showing only a wall or corner, etc. Then I clicked on the listing and it looked fine to me. Ok, maybe they could have removed the furniture.

The finishes are mostly builder grade, but there's nothing wrong with that. Some people are happy with a home that doesn't have all the latest bells and whistles. Too much HGTV out there that gives the impression that anything but the latest, greatest finishes is worthless.

Apparently, the owners were content to live with minimal updates. The new owners will be free to update to their HGTV heart's content.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate