U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-14-2019, 04:08 PM

2,607 posts, read 2,990,297 times

Advertisements

I was expecting something funny with decorations or very dour. This house looks all right to me if I were a potential buyer. The presentation is passable and the house does not have obvious damage to it. At least it is mostly empty where you can see more of it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-14-2019, 04:46 PM

621 posts, read 879,136 times
I blame the listing agent who rushes the owners to have pictures taken so they end up with toilets with lids open and kitchens not prepped for pictures.
The rugs are not yet cleaned after furniture is moved out. And the agent is too lazy to go through the photos to tell a story. They just dump them all into the MLS and don't do anything to update or fix them. Or in a listing that is renewed they don't take the old pictures out and have snow pictures in July.

Old 09-14-2019, 08:13 PM

5,428 posts, read 7,369,082 times
The only thing I didn't like going through was that there was much white - a picture or two might have helped there. But it looks like a nice home and I am capable of using my imagination for what it is capable of. While I agree staging can look fantastic, sometimes I feel it muddies the waters and turns some buyers off because they can tell they're being psychologically manipulated.

Old 09-14-2019, 10:20 PM

10,532 posts, read 6,518,597 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HokieFan View Post
I have no issue with this listing. The pictures show me everything I need to determine if this is a house I'd like to see in person.

While the furniture is hodge podge, I can gauge the approximate size of the room by the furniture that's in it. Such as the living room - I can see that a love seat, a couch, and a recliner all fit in the space with plenty of room to spare. I can see that the dining room will comfortably fit a table for 6 and a large cabinet.

IMO, the problem listings are when there aren't enough photos or the focus of the photos is on the furnishings. This is not a "crappy listing" by far.
Exactly. I don't consider this a bad listing. Could it have been better? Sure, but it's not horrible. Great price.

Old 09-15-2019, 01:54 AM

7,354 posts, read 4,059,226 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Diana Holbrook View Post
THIS is the kind of staging I hate when I see it in advertisements and magazines, and I just saw this one in a live listing. I will often forgive amateurs, but I'm quite sure this is the work of a professional.

WHO puts LIT candles on a tray and sets them on a bed? WHO DOES THAT?

The scene is supposed to be relaxing, but it makes me really nervous. Maybe it's because I used to own a Labrador.
Fake "LIT" candles. No big deal.

The house is just boring. Vinyl tile and cheap carpet, solid surface counters, small moldings, fiberglass tub units, cheap (maybe plastic) faucets. Probably pressed composite doors. I doubt there was a single upgrade when the house was purchased. Any investment was in the yard and that's just fine.

No problem with the listing whatsoever; they're selling a house, not a home - what you see is what you get and it makes it extremely easy to see what exists and what would need to be changed to make it the way any buyer would want it. I'd much rather see "truth in advertising" pictures like these than those that have been manipulated with wide angle lenses and color "enhancement" even as other posters call for that.

I'd just wait it out a bit because the price drops like clockwork twice a month.

Old 09-15-2019, 04:47 PM

15,414 posts, read 31,587,493 times
Well, it's under contract so it can't be too bad. I have certainly seen worse for a lot more. JMO....

Old 09-16-2019, 03:00 AM

2,265 posts, read 1,331,579 times
No photos of the HVAC or HWH...must be pretty old...and from the back, the roof looks about shot, too.

Old 09-16-2019, 09:22 AM

9,336 posts, read 8,067,211 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HokieFan View Post
I have no issue with this listing. The pictures show me everything I need to determine if this is a house I'd like to see in person.

While the furniture is hodge podge, I can gauge the approximate size of the room by the furniture that's in it. Such as the living room - I can see that a love seat, a couch, and a recliner all fit in the space with plenty of room to spare. I can see that the dining room will comfortably fit a table for 6 and a large cabinet.

IMO, the problem listings are when there aren't enough photos or the focus of the photos is on the furnishings. This is not a "crappy listing" by far.
I agree. Enough pics to know if I am interested.

Old 09-16-2019, 10:38 AM

9,668 posts, read 8,182,714 times
Hurricane strapping in Montgomery County?

Old 09-16-2019, 10:59 AM

11,139 posts, read 4,540,634 times
OP, I didn't read all the responses, but when I clicked into the link, I wasn't really prepared to agree with you when I saw the initial front of the house photo. Looked like a nice house.

But I completely agree with you. They would have been MUCH better off with zero furniture in the photos. It's like, who in the world thinks that arrangement shows off the room to advantage?

It's as if the stager was out of town so she sent her teenage son and his buddies over with a truck containing various pieces of furniture, and they hauled it in and gave it a try.

Really. Empty the house out, and open the curtains. Done.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate