U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-13-2019, 07:54 AM

3,281 posts, read 1,990,289 times

Advertisements

I still get real estate emails from a place where I used to live, and every once in a while I'll click through to see what a listing is all about and to keep updated on the area. I was curious about this one, so I clicked through and found exactly the type of listing I've talked about when I've given my 2 cents on staging and presentation of a house. What I found almost most shocking is that the listing says both owners are real estate agents themselves. My only thought is that they must be utterly incompetent real estate agents.

This is certainly not the worst listing I've ever seen. It's just perfectly illustrative of what I see when people talk about houses that never sell. When I was moving, there was another house on our same street that had a better lot, was actually a nicer house from the outside, and if its potential had been maximized would have been a much better house than ours' was. They listed three months before we did, had several price drops, and about six months after we sold our's they eventually decided not to move and took the house off the market. Our house sold in 2 weeks in the dead of winter. Anyone who looked at our house absolutely would have looked at the house down the street. It had the exact same problems that I see in this listing.

https://www.realtor.com/realestatean...e3-RDC#photo47

What I see is a house that from the outside looks fantastic. The outside and the yard, at least from the photos, appears beautiful. Although the fact that they showed 8 photos that all gave me the same info seems like a red flag -- to me, that indicated that that was the best feature of the house and the inside would be worse. And it is.

The first photo of the inside, #9, looks incredibly bleak. It is not enticing at all. It is not "homey." It looks almost empty and abandoned. And those white walls look like they're from the builder and nothing was ever done to decorate the house, probably because no one cared.

Most of the rest of the photos are bizarre -- boring white walls, boring or ugly window coverings, and a strange smattering of furniture that is oddly placed, cheap-looking and/or unattractive, making the rooms look unworkable, strange, off-putting and just plain un-homey. They would seriously be better off with nothing at all in the house. I'm not sure whether this was an attempt at staging - if so, it was an utter failure, or whether this is leftover stuff that they weren't able to move yet? Are they still living in the house and need some stuff there? Why did they leave this stuff? Were they going to throw it away but no one would come get it? It seems like no one is living there, or rather, that someone IS living there but it is as a squatter, or somehow clandestinely.

And OMG the kitchen. For me personally, this is, perhaps ironically, the type of kitchen I'd love to see? Why? Because I know no one else is going to make an offer on the house, and I'll be able to get the house cheap. Because this kitchen needs a complete re-do. The positive is it is a very large kitchen. You could get a huge bang for your buck by re-doing this kitchen, as you could make it look really nice without having to tear it completely out and re-do it from scratch. It's a large kitchen, and you could keep the sink and all the appliances where they are. To make this kitchen beautiful, add a large L extension that would work almost like an island, and you could have counter height seating. If you really didn't want to do that, and didn't want to rip out and change the cabinets, you could add a movable island. Get rid of those horrific white appliances, which I've heard actually lower the value of the home, change the flooring, add a backsplash, and paint the walls. This wouldn't even necessarily have to be done all at once -- it could be done over a number of years, doing the floor one year, the appliances the next, the cabinets the next, etc. This kitchen seemed like the owners wanted to take what would be a great kitchen in terms of initial architecture and space in the kitchen and make it look as awful and cheap as possible. They made (or kept) what should have been the best feature of the house and a real selling point into the worst feature and a drag on the sale. For some reason, they included SEVEN pictures of the kitchen to make sure a potential buyer can see how awful it is. Emphasizing the worst looking room of the house is an odd way to try to sell it.

The bathrooms have similar issues.

Then another 7 pictures of what should be and could be a beautiful back yard, but has been made to look as bleak as possible.

This is just a shame because I see so much potential in this house. It could be absolutely beautiful. Someone will likely get a great bargain on this house and the sellers will lose out on lots of money or it just may never sell. And the fact that they are real estate agents shows how there are so many agents that are totally incompetent. (This was the case with the one who sold us the house when we lived in the area -- it seemed that he told the sellers to make the house as bleak and boring as possible. And it sat on the market for a really long time before we bought it at a reduced cost. And again, when we did sell it, it sold in 2 weeks in a meh market in mid January.)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-13-2019, 08:01 AM

160 posts, read 32,138 times
I'm going with divorce sale, and they're in a hurry.

That's a hell of a blank canvas, at a very reasonable price.

Old 09-13-2019, 08:11 AM

3,281 posts, read 1,990,289 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skipito View Post
I'm going with divorce sale, and they're in a hurry.

That's a hell of a blank canvas, at a very reasonable price.
Divorce is a good possibility. Although you'd think they could come together to get the house sold. And apparently, they lived in the house bleak for some period of time.

That price is definitely low. And it may go lower. Someone may get a great deal.

Old 09-13-2019, 08:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chicagoliz View Post
Divorce is a good possibility. Although you'd think they could come together to get the house sold. And apparently, they lived in the house bleak for some period of time.

That price is definitely low. And it may go lower. Someone may get a great deal.
At the very least, it doesn't look like it was abused or - well - really even lived in. The yard was very well maintained, which bodes well for the rest of the house.

Old 09-13-2019, 08:47 AM

961 posts, read 864,420 times
I don't share your hate for the presentation. I actually prefer empty houses -- I'm not buying the furnishings! It's not my style (I dislike carpet, for example) but if it doesn't sell it probably will be because it's late in the season or there are issues with the neighborhood, not because of the listing.

Old 09-13-2019, 08:59 AM

4,526 posts, read 2,660,865 times
Can we just take a moment to appreciate the name Schwenksville, PA?

Old 09-13-2019, 09:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by semispherical View Post
I don't share your hate for the presentation. I actually prefer empty houses -- I'm not buying the furnishings! It's not my style (I dislike carpet, for example) but if it doesn't sell it probably will be because it's late in the season or there are issues with the neighborhood, not because of the listing.
I think what the OP was going for was that it would have taken a modicum of effort for the listing to be dramatically improved.

1. Remove all furniture - that place would show better empty.

2. Professional photos - don't have extension cords visible, use wide angle lenses to make the rooms look better, warm the lighting a bit to make the place look less stark, better angles on the kitchen photos to make the work triangle look a little larger and separate the breakfast nook, don't have 432 of the same photo of the front to lead into the listing.

3. Rethink the description and the flow of the photos. People should feel like they're walking around the house.

Many buyers in that price range are going to be first time homebuyers that have grown up on HGTV. The listing could have highlighted the "blank space" appeal of that at a very competitive price. If I had found that listing when i was moving last, I would have been VERY interested in seeing it in person - it will not take much to make that kitchen pop, and re-do flooring to update the remainder of the home.

The only thing I would have found issue with from a layout perspective is the stairway in the center of the entry, and the floor register directly in front of the door to the patio (wtf?).

Old 09-13-2019, 09:20 AM

809 posts, read 487,086 times
I agree that they would have been better off just completely clearing the house than keeping the random assortment of seemingly abandoned furniture.

That said, the PRICE - wow. Sometimes I hate being in a high COL area.

Old 09-13-2019, 09:38 AM

6,708 posts, read 8,249,017 times
It's a perfectly fine listing, very similar to what you see everywhere. Are you trying to help them sell it? Good job!

As you know from living there, the area is a little remote but perfectly lovely. But today people look at house-condition/mechanicals, schools, medical services, and politics when choosing a home. And there are not a lot of jobs in the immediate area so a long commute may be needed.

Old 09-13-2019, 10:11 AM

5,177 posts, read 5,531,708 times
I have no issue with this listing. The pictures show me everything I need to determine if this is a house I'd like to see in person.

While the furniture is hodge podge, I can gauge the approximate size of the room by the furniture that's in it. Such as the living room - I can see that a love seat, a couch, and a recliner all fit in the space with plenty of room to spare. I can see that the dining room will comfortably fit a table for 6 and a large cabinet.

IMO, the problem listings are when there aren't enough photos or the focus of the photos is on the furnishings. This is not a "crappy listing" by far.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate