U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-13-2019, 02:03 PM

194 posts, read 36,488 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kavalier View Post
Apparently. He doesn't like me very much.

Parking shouldn't be a problem should it? Especially if I am driving it every day to and from work?

I would be keeping my job.

I would be looking into buying a size of like a Toyota Warrior (20 feet?). Not some ungodly monstrosity. It would be like a mini house on wheels.
Why?

You'd be the weirdo in the van down by the river for a net benefit of $800/mo, minus the costs of managing the property, increased insurance expenses and vacancy (budget 10-12% at least of total rent).

What do you do with your other cars?

You're far better off picking up a part time job around your existing schedule that you are trying this kind of hullabaloo.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-13-2019, 02:18 PM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, originally from SF Bay Area
30,534 posts, read 55,559,535 times
For several reasons I would not suggest this. It may not be that easy to park. Very few RVs are small enough to fit in a garage. Even parked legally on a street someone living nearby may call it in as suspicious, especially these days with so much attention to the homeless using them. If you manage to find a decent used RV for $20,000 it will take two years of that rental income to break even. That doesn't include the cost of any repairs to the house, or any months with no tenant there. Better to take in a boarder in one of the bedrooms for $400, or use the money you would have spent on the RV to rent a room in someone else's house for $400 for a net income increase of $400.

Old 09-13-2019, 04:49 PM

17,586 posts, read 17,852,991 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemlock140 View Post
For several reasons I would not suggest this. It may not be that easy to park. Very few RVs are small enough to fit in a garage. Even parked legally on a street someone living nearby may call it in as suspicious, especially these days with so much attention to the homeless using them. If you manage to find a decent used RV for $20,000 it will take two years of that rental income to break even. That doesn't include the cost of any repairs to the house, or any months with no tenant there. Better to take in a boarder in one of the bedrooms for $400, or use the money you would have spent on the RV to rent a room in someone else's house for $400 for a net income increase of $400.
Great points.

Also, some cities do not allow RVs to park on city streets and some do not even allow them to be parked on private property (in view of the neighbors or street).

Old 09-13-2019, 05:02 PM

4,720 posts, read 1,197,233 times
Doesn't Walmart allow RV parking throughout the country?

Old 09-13-2019, 05:02 PM

42,402 posts, read 3,231,560 times
Quote:
Apparently. He doesn't like me very much.

Parking shouldn't be a problem should it? Especially if I am driving it every day to and from work?

I would be keeping my job.

I would be looking into buying a size of like a Toyota Warrior (20 feet?). Not some ungodly monstrosity. It would be like a mini house on wheels.
Won't you need to go to RV parks to dump the sewage & get fresh water etc?

Re WM, some allow parking, others do not.

Old 09-13-2019, 05:03 PM

4,720 posts, read 1,197,233 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skipito View Post
Why?

You'd be the weirdo in the van down by the river for a net benefit of $800/mo, minus the costs of managing the property, increased insurance expenses and vacancy (budget 10-12% at least of total rent).

What do you do with your other cars?

You're far better off picking up a part time job around your existing schedule that you are trying this kind of hullabaloo.
Maybe I am that weirdo. Maybe I want to retreat from this society - my way of giving it the collective 'finger'...?

Old 09-13-2019, 06:06 PM

5,591 posts, read 6,986,351 times
Quote:
Maybe I am that weirdo. Maybe I want to retreat from this society - my way of giving it the collective 'finger'...?
Retreating from society by being a landlord and living in a Wal-Mart parking lot. Yeah that sounds well thought out.

Sell everything and go buy a cabin in the woods if you want to be a hermit. Less interaction with other people and society that way.

Old 09-13-2019, 07:39 PM

907 posts, read 249,445 times
Quote:
It is better to get a second job...
The RV costs money- to buy, to insure, bad mileage- more gas money, could break down.
The issue with your lender if not owner occupied as well as homeowners...
Second choice is to rent a room to a roommate or 2?
Is there anything interesting around where you live? Could you try Air B&B?
Or you could try to foster a child or 2 if you are fit to go through a training programs and qualify? You get paid.
RV sounds like not well thought in details project.
Or you could sell your house and not have a mortgage? Then look into RV and a warm location- so you don’t freeze, your RV hoses don’t freeze, etc
Then you can live by the river

Old 09-13-2019, 08:34 PM

1,210 posts, read 342,355 times
I'm not sure why you would want to do this. Someone else living in comfort in your house while you drive a gas-guzzler to work (hope your commute isn't very long) and hope they let you park it there (where will you park it the rest of the time?), trying to shower in a tiny corner and cook on an itty-bitty stove and sleep on a camper bed and exist in a small space and have no address to get your mail... and all that not even because you want to travel around? I don't see the appeal.

Do you just really enjoy camping? Think it will bring you extra money (that won't be eaten by the RV and its gas/maintenance/parking costs, forget whatever it costs to be a landlord)? I'm just not sure what "perks" there would be to this living situation.

Old 09-13-2019, 08:38 PM

194 posts, read 36,488 times
Quote:
Then sell the house and move on. Quit working and see how long you can live off the money from the proceeds from the house.

You're in, or you're out. Ain't no such thing as a half way crook.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or