U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-14-2019, 02:56 PM

6,267 posts, read 3,507,809 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stagemomma View Post
3 months in, I've had $1200 worth of work done to pull out and replace some of the rotted headers between the wall and foundation of the house where a porch was attached. (there were no gutters so the water gathered there). During this process we have discovered the damage continues. In summary, there is a GAP I can put my hand through between the wall and the concrete foundation that continues for several feet.

Am I wrong in thinking this is something the engineer should have noted?

This is the part I was trying to explain in my post above. The outside perimeter of a manufactured home, even if stone or concrete, is not part of the foundation structure. It is merely decorative and probably not part of what the engineer would have been tasked to do.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-14-2019, 04:49 PM

14,116 posts, read 33,303,859 times
So to clarify, you have a concrete block on slab foundation or when you say concrete foundation to you mean a traditional continuous foundation?

Old 09-14-2019, 06:11 PM

6,267 posts, read 3,507,809 times
Silverfall, it's a manufactured home, probably with concrete skirting.

Old 09-15-2019, 07:34 PM

14,116 posts, read 33,303,859 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Diana Holbrook View Post
Silverfall, it's a manufactured home, probably with concrete skirting.
We do concrete block on slab here for the most part for our manufactured homes, but I have seen some people pour a continuous foundation on them. If it is a mobile home in a park, then that is different.

Old Yesterday, 07:04 PM

1,977 posts, read 680,251 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fishbrains View Post
What was the scope of the inspection? What does your contract with the engineer say?

It sounds like the damage you found was concealed, so if you requested a visual inspection, the engineer is obviously not responsible. If the scope of your inspection included bore holes, camera scoping, etc, then you might have a case.

A competent engineer will clearly explain scope, method, and limitations in his/her report. If this is included, you likely have little recourse.
Exactly correct, what was the scope of the inspection? An engineering inspection does not include errors and omissions and if something is suspected to be incorrect, then a follow up recommendation would be discussed and the cost would be in addition to the report. There are usually many “unforeseens” with a structure and foundation and it would be difficult if not nearly impossible to hold an engineer responsible for subsequent deficiencies.

Old Today, 03:37 AM

34,025 posts, read 59,163,587 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stagemomma View Post
Yes, it is a manufactured home.

I was under the impression that it was the mortgage company that recommended the engineer since they required it, but it could have been the realtor who found him.

We live in the country so sometimes choices are limited. I'm not sure what criteria I should have used when selecting an engineer. Very few people are required to have such a thing in our area.

I will review the report itself and see what it says.

If I can stick my hand through the hole in the side of the house, it seems like a visual inspection from underneath would be sufficient to notice the daylight coming through.

We did have to certify that the house was properly tied down but I don't remember if that was the Engineer or some other guy.

On a manufactured home, your exterior wall is non-structural. It is not a foundation.
In NC, most installers call it a "curtain wall." It is very common for the floor not to make contact with the curtain wall, since the wall is not expected to carry any load.

The engineer inspection for the lender is to confirm that the footings under the piers are adequate, and that the house is properly tied down. The outriggers on the frame transfer the exterior load back to the frame and piers which carry the load of the entire home.
An exception may be if the manufacturer's installation manual requires perimeter piers at intervals, but that still would not require a load-bearing curtain wall. That is most common in northern areas with higher pound/SF snow load requirements.

Tying the porch into the perimeter of the manufactured home structure is never recommended. That is shabby work.
I would think the home inspector or the engineer might have noted that.

Old Today, 06:44 AM

1,977 posts, read 680,251 times
Sounds like the engineer was unfamiliar with the standard details for manufactured homes?

Good post Mike J❗️
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or