U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-16-2019, 05:03 PM

7,294 posts, read 4,034,715 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by PriscillaVanilla View Post
If you plan to have kids I'd recommend getting carpet.
Give them something soft to barf on.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-16-2019, 08:10 PM

13,366 posts, read 9,060,949 times
Hate carpets, it's a dust and hair collector.

Old Yesterday, 04:11 AM

2,571 posts, read 1,311,618 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PriscillaVanilla View Post
If you plan to have kids I'd recommend getting carpet.
I'm still puzzling over this. We have a small child and live with her without incident. What is the advantage? Safety if they fall? Carpet can exacerbate allergies so it's not health. It's difficult to keep clean with the mess of a toddler. But if the advantage is meant to be safety we also have stairs so I'm sure out house is a deathtrap. HWF and multiple staircases! Call child services!

Old Yesterday, 04:22 AM

19,312 posts, read 9,994,456 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by redguard57 View Post
Two houses recently sold around the corner from me provide a test case. As for the exterior, layout, and build quality they were identical, built at the same time, I think around 2000ish.

But on the interior, one was updated circa 2013-14 or so, one was not. The updated one had ripped out the carpet, put in wood, or some kind fake wood floors, and put in modern kitchen finishings including fashionable hard counter surface and backsplash, stainless appliances. A few other aesthetic touches here and there.

That one sold within 2 weeks.

The other one had carpet on floors throughout and basic white kitchen appointments befitting a rental. It took about 4 months to sell. My sense was that the carpet was the culprit.

When I sold my old house, the first thing the new owners did was rip the carpet out with a vengeance. They were a young couple around 30, newly married. I drove by like 2 days after we closed, and the carpet remnants were all out in the yard, lol. I don't know why Millennials hate carpet so much but boy do they ever hate it.
In my early 60's and I don't care for carpet because it gets dirty, is hard to get clean and can retain mold and smell if it gets wet. We do have carpets in our house built in 2015 in the bedrooms and den and we use the roomba just about every day (we have a dog) to help keep it clean.

Obviously there are advantages of carpet including softer and less noise as well as cheaper than some flooring so we'll probably keep the bedrooms in carpet and possibly the den.

If/when we buy a used house, we would most likely remove all of the existing carpets as we wouldn't be confident of what's in there.

Old Yesterday, 04:22 AM

979 posts, read 653,759 times
I dislike carpet because I have severe asthma, chronic bronchitis, and carpets really make it worse. I have robot mops and vacs which i use daily in the house. You would be surprised how much they pick up. I am in a rental right now every other I have to empty them. When I was in my own home with wood floors and tile I emptied them twice a month. The difference is the carpet. I don't know why but this house just seems more dusty. The rental has carpet in all bedrooms and hallway. (our house burned so we are rebuilding and this was the cleanness rental we could find)

Old Yesterday, 07:05 AM

8,531 posts, read 6,401,452 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by redguard57 View Post
Two houses recently sold around the corner from me provide a test case. As for the exterior, layout, and build quality they were identical, built at the same time, I think around 2000ish.

But on the interior, one was updated circa 2013-14 or so, one was not. The updated one had ripped out the carpet, put in wood, or some kind fake wood floors, and put in modern kitchen finishings including fashionable hard counter surface and backsplash, stainless appliances. A few other aesthetic touches here and there.

That one sold within 2 weeks.

The other one had carpet on floors throughout and basic white kitchen appointments befitting a rental. It took about 4 months to sell. My sense was that the carpet was the culprit.

When I sold my old house, the first thing the new owners did was rip the carpet out with a vengeance. They were a young couple around 30, newly married. I drove by like 2 days after we closed, and the carpet remnants were all out in the yard, lol. I don't know why Millennials hate carpet so much but boy do they ever hate it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Berteau View Post
It doesnít make sense to me either other than hardwood is trendy. But they wonít admit itís just because itís trendy. Carpet is softer, it absorbs sound, itís warmer. I much prefer it and wonít buy a house thatís all hardwood. I need carpeting at a minimum in my bedrooms and living room. They say hardwood is easier to clean, but thatís what vacuum cleaners are for. Iíve never heard of not being able to keep carpeting clean.
My house is 50 years old. Hardly "Trendy." My Grandmother lived in a 100 year old house with hardwood floors. Super Trendy.

It's a natural surface that holds up well over time.

I've seen 50 year old carpets and they're gross.

My hardwoods don't show evidence of when the previous owner's cat was senile and incontinent,
My hardwoods tell no tales of when a glass of red wine spilled at a Christmas party,
Hardwoods are mute on the subject of a child that had a virus and vomited,
Hardwoods don't hold the smell of dogs or people or your cooking.

With reasonable care and no water damage, my hardwoods will continue to look good 100 years from now.

You can't say any of that about carpet. But we millennials, all we care about is what's trendy on HGTV, right?

Old Yesterday, 07:29 AM

33,998 posts, read 59,121,387 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JONOV View Post
My house is 50 years old. Hardly "Trendy." My Grandmother lived in a 100 year old house with hardwood floors. Super Trendy.

It's a natural surface that holds up well over time.

I've seen 50 year old carpets and they're gross.

My hardwoods don't show evidence of when the previous owner's cat was senile and incontinent,
My hardwoods tell no tales of when a glass of red wine spilled at a Christmas party,
Hardwoods are mute on the subject of a child that had a virus and vomited,
Hardwoods don't hold the smell of dogs or people or your cooking.

With reasonable care and no water damage, my hardwoods will continue to look good 100 years from now.

You can't say any of that about carpet. But we millennials, all we care about is what's trendy on HGTV, right?

Before we dumped our rental condos, we had a tenant with a free-range, un-housebroken child whom they allowed to freely use my new carpet for the loo.

The carpet looked bad on top.
But when we pulled it back, the total of the areas of staining on the jute back was astounding. Good loop pile for an apartment, as "it didn't show stains."

Bleccchhhh....

Old Yesterday, 08:04 AM

8,531 posts, read 6,401,452 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeJaquish View Post
Before we dumped our rental condos, we had a tenant with a free-range, un-housebroken child whom they allowed to freely use my new carpet for the loo.

The carpet looked bad on top.
But when we pulled it back, the total of the areas of staining on the jute back was astounding. Good loop pile for an apartment, as "it didn't show stains."

Bleccchhhh....
Gross...

Admittedly for a rental it's probably smarter, especially if you're living on top of other people. Noise cancellation and all that.

Old Yesterday, 08:14 AM

33,998 posts, read 59,121,387 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JONOV View Post
Gross...

Admittedly for a rental it's probably smarter, especially if you're living on top of other people. Noise cancellation and all that.

Seeing more and more cheap floating laminate or vinyl plank in rentals.
The floating laminate is probably good for sound control.

Old Yesterday, 09:00 AM

14,642 posts, read 8,093,564 times
Our house has hard wood floor and zero carpet. All of our rentals had zero carpet as well. I'll never forget the time one tenant with a cat that I had returned a security deposit to before I discovered what the cat had done. Weeks later the bedroom smelled like cat pee. We had to rip out the carpet, and sure enough the stains were everywhere. They had cleaned the carpets before they moved out, but you never can get them clean enough. We put in a laminate floor throughout the house and never had carpet again.

I can not imagine not being able to wash my floors every week. I know how dirty they get. Cleaning carpets once a month wouldn't be enough for me. I'll take my hard wood floors and wear cozy slippers in the winter.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or