U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-17-2019, 09:21 AM

1,244 posts, read 702,452 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ginge McFantaPants View Post
I spent the first 40 years of my life in rental apartments with ubiquitous beige carpet; the one thing that I promised myself was that no wall-to-wall carpeting would ever grace the floors of my own home. As luck would have it, I found a house with hardwood on the main level and laminate on the upper level. Within the first couple of days, my sonís allergies calmed down, he stopped snoring, and his nasal passages are no longer chronically swollen.

I did cave and put sisal treads on stairs; I realized just how slippery they were when I slipped and fell down all.13.steps.
I agree with this. We have hardwoods throughout the house (built in 1970s) except in the tiled bathrooms. However, we do keep carpet on the stairs which we replace every few years. I know four people (two elderly) who have died with complications from falling down stairs.

I would not have carpet anywhere else. I find using a Swiffer-type dry mop is so much easier to slide around and pick up dirt/dust often than pushing a vacuum on a low setting that really would pull out dirt on carpet. Many people now avoid carpet due to allergies and dirt accumulation, not to mention stains that seem to reappear even after cleaning.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-17-2019, 10:36 AM

288 posts, read 303,559 times
Default bed bugs and OTHER critters

Where I live our town had a horrible problem with bedbugs , especially hotels so everybody got freaked out with used furniture , clothes , etc. .

Also fleas , ticks , ants and whatnot can live dormant for a while AND carpet can hide a lot of damage like water stain / leaks / mold / warping that can cost an arm and a leg to repair .

Old 09-17-2019, 10:56 AM

4,538 posts, read 2,669,547 times
I wished for carpet for a fleeting moment when my daughter fell on our hardwood floor so hard she broke the tip of her lower jaw and cracked her skull through her ear hole (can you tell I'm not in the medical field?). In reality though, I can't imagine ever installing carpet by choice.

I agree with an earlier poster, hardwood isn't trendy, carpet was. It's time has passed (thankfully). Our hardwood is 95 years old.

Last edited by Vegabern; 09-17-2019 at 11:52 AM..

Old 09-17-2019, 11:05 AM

29,117 posts, read 63,309,531 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by redguard57 View Post
Why do home buyers these days hate carpet?
Climate aspects aside... they've been conditioned to.

Old 09-17-2019, 11:07 AM

10,862 posts, read 14,609,412 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Berteau View Post
Well Iím not walking underneath carpeting. I walk on the surface. Do you walk under hardwood? When you walk barefoot on carpeting does your feet have dirt on them?

Reminds me of people who have to wash their hands 10times a day with antibacterial soap when it has negative health effects. Itís all in their head.
Not really. Whats under there is dust, dirt, hair, things that make make a lot of people sniffle and sneeze. Have you ever lived with hardwood floors? I sweep up a lot of dust and dirt from my hardwood and tile on a daily basis, with carpeting you never really get all that up with a vacuum. I'll take hardwood with a throw rug over carpeting any day. And no, I'm not a millennial.

Old 09-17-2019, 11:30 AM

4,561 posts, read 4,008,213 times
This is the first home I have ever lived in (home, not rental, not dorm) that doesn't have hardwood floors. I'm over 50, so not millennial (and I hate that term anyway). I'm only putting up with our carpet because this is a new build and the carpet is just months old. At least I know the dirt is my dirt.

Once our dog has gone, and our child is out of college, I'll have the spending money to rip that out and put down wood.

Old 09-17-2019, 01:53 PM

1,283 posts, read 1,017,918 times
My wife and I bought our first house a couple of years ago with the original ~25 years old carpeting, pet stains and all. As soon as we were able to afford to, we tore it out, and put laminate down.

Old 09-17-2019, 01:59 PM

7,204 posts, read 9,471,744 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PriscillaVanilla View Post
If you plan to have kids I'd recommend getting carpet.
]
Why??? Every house I know of that has both carpeting and kids has a variety of hideous stains and damage that nobody can get out: This is where Jonathan spilled the Kool-Aid. This is the patch I have to replace because after Jessica threw up there, the dog licked at it until all the fibers were gone. Please don't mind the little peanut-butter handprints on the living-room rug; Evelyn and Avalon just had their birthday party here last week.

Old 09-17-2019, 03:01 PM

12,068 posts, read 20,629,571 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cliffie View Post
]
Why??? Every house I know of that has both carpeting and kids has a variety of hideous stains and damage that nobody can get out: This is where Jonathan spilled the Kool-Aid. This is the patch I have to replace because after Jessica threw up there, the dog licked at it until all the fibers were gone. Please don't mind the little peanut-butter handprints on the living-room rug; Evelyn and Avalon just had their birthday party here last week.

I once spilled a tiny bit of Tide liquid detergent on my carpet. I didnít realize it for about an hour. I got it all up, but it changed the carpet and it fluoresced. Glowed in certain light. It was weird.

And for all the love for hardwoods ó I really hate engineered floors. They always sound hollow, and Iíve found laminates very slippery. I want plain old fashioned strip oak or maple.

Old 09-17-2019, 03:34 PM

5,582 posts, read 3,015,422 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by redguard57 View Post
... I don't know why Millennials hate carpet so much but boy do they ever hate it.
I am far from a Millennials @ 61 years old. I despise carpet. One cannot keep it completely clean and dander free.

I think the Millennials are a smart group getting rid of carpet.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or