U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-17-2019, 03:49 PM

266 posts, read 215,911 times

Advertisements

I prefer carpet in a bedroom because it's quieter and makes the room feel warmer on feet in winter. For main areas I prefer tile or laminate/wood because it's easier to keep clean if spills happen or dirt gets in from outside, and of course pets.

I imagine people like hard floors in a house they're buying because they feel like they can know it's clean vs carpet where you don't really know what could be in it unless it's brand new.

Plenty of new houses still have carpet in bedrooms, while others are tile or wood throughout. Personally I prefer a combination of both.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-17-2019, 04:13 PM

1 posts, read 199 times
You can always put down area rugs over hardwood. In any room. Moveable, can be cleaned, and changed for a new look.

Old 09-17-2019, 04:36 PM

1,765 posts, read 510,751 times
I canít stand carpeting at all in any bathrooms. Thatís so disgusting and unhealthy and I see it quite frequently. It goes around the tub and the toilet. Yuck! I just canít imagine.

Old 09-18-2019, 06:46 AM

2,012 posts, read 1,348,607 times
I like a mixture personally. Some areas I like carpet, some I don't.

We only have carpet in our finished basement right now. There- I'd rather not have it actually.

Old 09-18-2019, 07:00 AM

12,540 posts, read 4,311,748 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by emm74 View Post

Your preferences are not the same thing as "appropriate"
Why do you think carpet is appriopriate for a bathroom or kitchen where cleanliness is a priority.

Reasons Not to Have Carpet in Your Bathroom | Soakology

What's Lurking In Your Carpet? A Spring Cleaning Guide - Huff Post

Whilst hallways receive the most use in many houses, so a hard wearing floor is a good idea.

In terms of a bedroom it's usually nice to have something comfortable and warm.

As for being "appropriate" this is what I deem "appropriate" based on my views and from what I have read, and my view as to what is "appropriate" is not dictated by you.

You have a right to deem what you think is "appropriate" and I am fine with that but don't try to unndermine my view of what is "appropriate", which is based on evidence when it comes to carpets and bacteria.

Last edited by Brave New World; 09-18-2019 at 07:09 AM..

Old 09-18-2019, 07:27 AM

8,037 posts, read 11,818,366 times
Hardwood floors, real ones, are beautiful. But harder to maintain. So much easier to run a vacuum.
I don't see the point of of plastic or whatever it is hardwood. Well, I guess it depends on where you live pets etc.
I'm a practical person, not a trend person. I think its trendy not to have carpet, plus a lot of people nowdays seem to be.....overly concerned with health? Slighly hypochrondric? Obsessed?

Old 09-18-2019, 07:30 AM

5,661 posts, read 2,607,494 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Giesela View Post
Hardwood floors, real ones, are beautiful. But harder to maintain. So much easier to run a vacuum.
I don't see the point of of plastic or whatever it is hardwood. Well, I guess it depends on where you live pets etc.
I'm a practical person, not a trend person. I think its trendy not to have carpet, plus a lot of people nowdays seem to be.....overly concerned with health? Slighly hypochrondric? Obsessed?

How is it easier to get the vacuum cleaner out, manage the cord, listen to its screaming, empty bags, put it back, etc., than to take a broom and dustpan and sweep the wood floor?

Old 09-18-2019, 07:37 AM

4,146 posts, read 2,169,646 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Giesela View Post
So, I vacuum my hardwood floors daily (I use a horsehair brush attachment). What is easier than that? Actually, if I'm feeling lazy, I use the Swiffer dry pet cloths instead except around the litter boxes, where I'll run my Shark cordless sweeper to pick up the stray litter bits. It takes me all of 10 minutes for the house.

Old 09-18-2019, 07:57 AM

89 posts, read 99,328 times
Another reason we dislike carpet - it makes it difficult to move furniture around, even for vacuuming or cleaning. We're a retired couple who, for reasons beyond our control, had carpet installed in our home and can no longer 'slide' furniture when cleaning (without assistance). We also have a difficult time pushing back our chairs at the DR table due to the resistance from the carpet pile. Next time around, wood, laminate or tile, which we've been happy with before.

Old 09-18-2019, 08:21 AM

936 posts, read 363,361 times
There was a very short time in history where "wall-to-wall carpeting" was trendy. I'm over 50, and remember when I was a kid in the late 60s/early 70s that was what it was called. Considered very luxurious. My parents were tickled in the 80s when Dad retired from the military and they finally bought a house that had carpets everywhere. My first condo had carpets, but by the time my husband and I bought a house in the early 2000s hardwood was starting a trend comeback. That has lasted, and given the great selection of hard floors, will continue on. I don't see the wall-to-wall trend returning.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or