Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-18-2019, 08:35 AM

2,648 posts, read 2,313,107 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by emm74 View Post
Have you ever removed carpet yourself? If you saw what was underneath it, even carpet that was regularly vacuumed, you wouldn't make silly statements about not understanding carpet not being clean.

And no, it has nothing to do with the feeble claim that it's "trendy" which people on CD use as in insult to describe home attributes they don't care for. There are many valid reasons people like hardwood which have been cited in this thread.
exactly.. There is so much dirt and other unidentifiable crap under wall to wall carpets and that's why I would prefer a home without wall to wall carpet. I don't want to live in a home with somebody elses dirt.

I buy area rugs befitting the size of the room. At least with those I can vacuum under them and have them cleaned thoroughly.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-18-2019, 11:36 AM

1,186 posts, read 965,640 times
As someone with a large dog, I try to avoid carpeted areas as much as humanely possible. The wood floor is easy to sweep and we can keep pet allergies at bay.

I once moved into an apartment with light colored carpeting and the owners had a black cat - it took several rounds of cleaning to get all the cat hair out. Yuck.

Old 09-18-2019, 11:40 AM

8,340 posts, read 6,779,917 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by redguard57 View Post
Two houses recently sold around the corner from me provide a test case. As for the exterior, layout, and build quality they were identical, built at the same time, I think around 2000ish.

But on the interior, one was updated circa 2013-14 or so, one was not. The updated one had ripped out the carpet, put in wood, or some kind fake wood floors, and put in modern kitchen finishings including fashionable hard counter surface and backsplash, stainless appliances. A few other aesthetic touches here and there.

That one sold within 2 weeks.

The other one had carpet on floors throughout and basic white kitchen appointments befitting a rental. It took about 4 months to sell. My sense was that the carpet was the culprit.

When I sold my old house, the first thing the new owners did was rip the carpet out with a vengeance. They were a young couple around 30, newly married. I drove by like 2 days after we closed, and the carpet remnants were all out in the yard, lol. I don't know why Millennials hate carpet so much but boy do they ever hate it.
I'm from the 1960. I LOVE wood flooring. Easier to clean (After the dog craps on it or someone gets sick on it) and it shines nicely after a good cleaning. Plus you don't have to vacuum every week....

The last house my mother had she told me "This carpeting is so brown, can you see if we can't remove it?" I then lifted it to find out it was nailed down! After 2 days of cutting it we found it had a pine floor. We called in a professional and he specializes in soft wood and he did a beautiful job. Everyone asked us how much it cost and we told them how we got it....

Old 09-18-2019, 12:27 PM

11,046 posts, read 6,632,416 times
One day while DH was gone, I pulled out all the old 70s carpet and had to get out the SNOW shovel to shovel up all the red dirt of red-rock Utah high desert. Must have been over 1/2 inch layer of dirt under that disgusting carpet.

I loathe carpet and I don't have allergies, kids or pets. However, in '90 we built a spec house near the Rocky Mts. and put in carpet, not knowing any better. I see now the new owners have wood floors and it doesn't look as cozy, but I know why they did it.

Down here, it's all porcelain tile and I love it. BUT, as a retiree, I DO worry about slipping/falling so I'm super careful. Much cooler, since it's 70 to 80 all year 'round. So easy to clean.

Old 09-18-2019, 12:29 PM

24,204 posts, read 19,191,156 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brave New World View Post
Why do you think carpet is appriopriate for a bathroom or kitchen where cleanliness is a priority.

Reasons Not to Have Carpet in Your Bathroom | Soakology

What's Lurking In Your Carpet? A Spring Cleaning Guide - Huff Post

Whilst hallways receive the most use in many houses, so a hard wearing floor is a good idea.

In terms of a bedroom it's usually nice to have something comfortable and warm.

As for being "appropriate" this is what I deem "appropriate" based on my views and from what I have read, and my view as to what is "appropriate" is not dictated by you.

You have a right to deem what you think is "appropriate" and I am fine with that but don't try to unndermine my view of what is "appropriate", which is based on evidence when it comes to carpets and bacteria.
what silliness is this?

I do not think carpet is appropriate for a bathroom or kitchen and can't imagine how on earth that is what you think my post was saying. I disagree with your opinions overall about other options. For example, I would not limit kitchens to tile, laminate or vinyl. I have wood in mine, as do many other people I know and we are quite happy about it, esp. for an open concept floor plan where IMO, it looks really awful to have choppy floors with different types of flooring in different areas of the same room.

And I think bedrooms can go either way, and I do understand why people choose to use carpet in them, but wood or other hard surface flooring is also fine there, esp. with an area rug.

Old 09-18-2019, 03:37 PM

15,637 posts, read 26,242,236 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by turf3 View Post
How is it easier to get the vacuum cleaner out, manage the cord, listen to its screaming, empty bags, put it back, etc., than to take a broom and dustpan and sweep the wood floor?
What you can’t forget is the fact that some of the hardwood floor manufacturers make it seem like you can’t just wash the floor like you used to be able to when it was say vinyl or carpet, when you hire somebody to come in and do it. It’s like there’s a whole list of things that you cannot use on your on your floor like — Murphy’s Oil Soap or vinegar. A lot of people say to use vinegar on your floor but a lot of the manufacturers say no no no you’ll strip the finish off, it’ll dull the floor. It’s like if they make cleaning their magical floors a mystique it’ll make it more precious to have.

It’s a floor, I’m not not washing it. Give me a good damp mop and I’ll go to town and I won’t use a ton of water but there will be soap. You need some sort of surfactant that lifts and holds the dirt.

Old 09-18-2019, 04:02 PM

4,285 posts, read 10,762,440 times
I don’t particularly mind carpet, but unless the carpet looked brand new, I would be ripping it up.

Old 09-18-2019, 07:44 PM

18,559 posts, read 7,362,427 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Berteau View Post
It doesn’t make sense to me either other than hardwood is trendy. But they won’t admit it’s just because it’s trendy. Carpet is softer, it absorbs sound, it’s warmer.
That's right -- it's softer. And even dogs (at least my pugs) are smart enough to figure out that softer is better, and they will walk on the carpet instead of wood or tile even if at adds 10-20% to the distance they have to walk.

Depending on the house or the room, I will often agree that wood *looks* the best, and often the way it looks overrides the acoustic and softness advantages. Looks matter! But other things matter too.

Old 09-18-2019, 08:20 PM

1,397 posts, read 1,144,961 times
Non-carpeted floors are more sanitary of course, and more fashionable. But carpet does have its place especially for the elderly when they get insecure about falling. Much easier to feel traction and less risk of injury with carpet than any hard floor.

Old 09-18-2019, 10:47 PM

1,939 posts, read 2,161,357 times
I hate carpet. HATE it. We've lived here 9 years. New house. We've replaced the carpets, have them cleaned regularly, removed them from a couple of bedrooms. Our basement now has one carpeted room (family room) and the rest of the basement is plank tile, which I really love. I don't want tile on the main floor of the house, so those are hardwoods. The hardwoods are generally much easier to care for than carpet.

We still have carpet in 3 upstairs bedrooms and two of the rooms look ok, but one that has a lot of traffic looks terrible to me unless it has just been vacuumed, so I do that a lot. I am constantly trying to remove stains and it looks better for a couple of days and they all seem to pop back up. That being said, if you do have a problem with wood floors it becomes an expensive repair. We had a pinhole leak in a fridge hose last week and now the floors are buckled all the way across the kitchen. Not sure what we're going to do about that yet, but I still love hardwoods over carpet any day of the week.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate