U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-19-2019, 08:46 AM

68 posts, read 324,763 times

Advertisements

Pets!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-20-2019, 07:43 AM

5,730 posts, read 2,649,633 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallysmom View Post
What you canít forget is the fact that some of the hardwood floor manufacturers make it seem like you canít just wash the floor like you used to be able to when it was say vinyl or carpet, when you hire somebody to come in and do it. Itís like thereís a whole list of things that you cannot use on your on your floor like ó Murphyís Oil Soap or vinegar. A lot of people say to use vinegar on your floor but a lot of the manufacturers say no no no youíll strip the finish off, itíll dull the floor. Itís like if they make cleaning their magical floors a mystique itíll make it more precious to have.

Itís a floor, Iím not not washing it. Give me a good damp mop and Iíll go to town and I wonít use a ton of water but there will be soap. You need some sort of surfactant that lifts and holds the dirt.

Why would you want to wash or wet mop a hardwood floor, unless you've foolishly put it in the kitchen or bathroom where it doesn't belong anyway? I've lived with hardwood floors at least 55 of my 58 years and have never washed a hardwood floor. If it's got dust, use a broom and (optional) dust mop (does anyone even know what this is, anymore?) If something gets spilled on it, clean it up with a rag or paper towels.

Old 09-20-2019, 10:45 AM

2,265 posts, read 1,293,768 times
Because carpets are unsanitary since they absorb all sorts of bodily fluids from the residents who walk or maybe even sit or lie on them. My wife and I also hate how they look. They also get dirty so you have to periodically hire someone to chemically clean them, using a lot of smelly and harmful chemicals. And the noticeably ware out in high traffic areas...

If you are buying a house that is not new, most people will want to change carpets. And that is not cheap. In fact, where we live, the carpets are maybe 1/3 cheaper than hard wood floors. Given that they don't last too long, I am not sure that they are good financial incentive.

Old 09-22-2019, 12:07 AM

12,113 posts, read 20,699,472 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by turf3 View Post
Why would you want to wash or wet mop a hardwood floor, unless you've foolishly put it in the kitchen or bathroom where it doesn't belong anyway? I've lived with hardwood floors at least 55 of my 58 years and have never washed a hardwood floor. If it's got dust, use a broom and (optional) dust mop (does anyone even know what this is, anymore?) If something gets spilled on it, clean it up with a rag or paper towels.
Because the oils from our bare feet and our pets paw pads make our floors dirty. The oils donít vacuum or sweep up and attract dirt. I grew up with hardwood floors and have them in our house 60 years of hardwood experience. We wash them.

Old 09-22-2019, 03:29 AM

34,119 posts, read 59,345,645 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by turf3 View Post

She said, "...damp mop..." NOT, "... a slopping wet mop..."
Swiffer mops work very nicely.
We do it too as needed, particularly in traffic spots. Never an issue.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallysmom View Post
Because the oils from our bare feet and our pets paw pads make our floors dirty. The oils don’t vacuum or sweep up and attract dirt. I grew up with hardwood floors and have them in our house 60 years of hardwood experience. We wash them.

With multiple layers of polyurethane on prefinished floors, a bit of water is never a concern.
Even with site-sanded and finished wood, a damp mop is a great tool.

I wish I had put wood in the kitchen 5 years ago when tearing out the old kitchen to the studs. Major error not to do so.

Old 09-22-2019, 04:49 AM

6,035 posts, read 6,199,149 times
Because carpet is garbage. I couldnít wait to get out of my 2015 house with carpet everywhere on floors 1 and 3 and our new house is tile flooring throughout the first floor and enhanced vinyl upstairs. I donít care for the look of hard wood because itís not modern. Most younger buyers like modern styling and itís not ďtrendyĒ as modern style isnít new, it has been around since the 1950s (mid-century modern). I like concrete floors, nice tile (not crappy little tiles, ours are 12x24 tiles), and enhanced vinyl because I like the look of for instance gray floors. Wood looks old or at least contemporary and Iím not a fan of that, either. As for carpet, it just looks terrible. It gets ratty fast, even a 2015 home had carpet threads coming loose along the edges of the rooms, the stairs look awful - stairs should never, ever be carpeted. And just yuck! Itís dirty, it collects everything in it, and it feels too ďhomeyĒ and not luxury.

If you want that feeling, buy an area rug! Then when itís ratty or gross you throw it away. Much, much easier. We have 3 area rugs and they are nice, help provide some sound deadening in front of TVs and a nice surface around a couch but donít totally screw up the room with nasty carpeting. I hate carpet and wonít ever live in a house with that again. Iíd do the same as the buyers OP, rip that right out!

Old 09-22-2019, 06:14 AM

9,761 posts, read 8,208,716 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeJaquish View Post
She said, "...damp mop..." NOT, "... a slopping wet mop..."
Swiffer mops work very nicely.
We do it too as needed, particularly in traffic spots. Never an issue.

With multiple layers of polyurethane on prefinished floors, a bit of water is never a concern.
Even with site-sanded and finished wood, a damp mop is a great tool.

I wish I had put wood in the kitchen 5 years ago when tearing out the old kitchen to the studs. Major error not to do so.
Even more so if the kitchen is very open to other areas of the house with wood. Our kitchen/breakfast area in our last house had a 15' cased opening to the living room. It would have looked strange to have a floor transition that wide - it also would have made the spaces seem smaller.

Old 09-22-2019, 12:49 PM

2,641 posts, read 3,446,417 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WouldLoveTo View Post
You realize 50 years ago was 1969 right?

I was looking at houses in the late 80s and found tons of green and orange shag carpets. They didn't wear very well either.

My house had pink shag in the bathroom. The was the first thing to go!

Ha ha ha.... you are right. It was 45 years ago. We moved there when I was very young in the 70's.

You should have seen the wallpaper. Or lordy.....

Old 09-23-2019, 08:06 AM

12,349 posts, read 18,284,151 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WouldLoveTo View Post
Millennials? LOL!! I had all the carpet ripped out of my 1926 house by the late 90s. I still have to repair the missing curved moldings on the stairs. The entire upstairs was carpeted! I just have a simple vacuum cleaner now. Love my wood floors - even in the bathroom.
Right? That was a really naive statement. Millennials?? I live in a 100 year old building. Do you think we have carpets??lol

Old 09-23-2019, 07:00 PM

12,349 posts, read 18,284,151 times
As far as trendy is concerned though... I have to say stainless steel appliances and open concept seem trendy to me. I am not a huge fan of open concept. I like walls, I like to be able to go into the kitchen and not watch everybody in the whole house while I'm cooking etc. People sometimes use the word "entertain" while talking about open concept. I get what they saying but I still like the old school, separate rooms.

When talking about stainless steel appliances. It's nice looking, but damn the fingerprints and the dirt that is showing is unreal. I think I would settle for black and be just fine. lol
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or