U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-27-2019, 12:07 PM

24,182 posts, read 33,387,033 times

Advertisements

I'm not a Millennial and I think carpets are disgusting.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-27-2019, 12:19 PM

9,387 posts, read 8,117,551 times
I have lived through when hardwood was all that most could afford. They could not afford wall to wall carpeting. Only "rich" people had carpeting of any type. With the advent of artificial fibers, wall to wall carpeting became affordable and people went crazy for it. Like look at me, I have wall to wall carpeting so I am rich. Builders went crazy for it. Through down some plywood underlayment and carpet over it. Cheap and looked good. Hardwood flooring became expensive so many stayed with carpeting. With the advent of "artificial" wooden flooring, hardwood started coming back in favor. No need to list its advantages. Either you like it, as I do, or you do not.

Old 09-27-2019, 12:39 PM

20,451 posts, read 10,665,605 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by redguard57 View Post
They started and then sold for the same price. They were, after all, identical builds. The owner was only willing to go down a certain amount, so he had to wait a while to find the buyer who would pay the same price for the non-updated one. I suppose he could have dropped the price and sold it sooner.
For the same price I would go for the one with an updated kitchen.

Old 09-27-2019, 12:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by turf3 View Post
No, ripping out carpet has been a trend since the 1980s if not before.

I have taken up numerous carpets installed over hardwood floors (the myriad of little staples to secure the padding are a real pain to pull out, one by one). First one was in about 1985.

Pull up one carpet that's been in place a few years and you'll never want carpet in your house again.

And let's not even talk about the issue of having a puppy in the house, who will eventually become a senile incontinent dog.
Even my completely house trained dog who never had an accident leaked in later life due to diabetes. Now I have 3 bedrooms that all need new flooring and possible subfloor. No amount of steam cleaning will take that out of the pad and wood subfloor.

Old 09-27-2019, 12:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PriscillaVanilla View Post
If you plan to have kids I'd recommend getting carpet.
Right up until the squish play dough into it and it hardens, or they paint their nails and spill a bottle of nail polish.

There is still neon orange slime that is solidified in the carpet in one of the kids rooms. Thankfully those rooms are getting new flooring soon.

Old 09-27-2019, 01:09 PM

10,967 posts, read 10,475,304 times
That house sat not because of one specific thing (like carpet), it sat for a variety of negatives taken in the aggregate that made it look dated and resembling a rental, as you stated.

I like carpet in rooms where I'd prefer a soft surface - like bedrooms and our bonus room. In these rooms, kids are sitting on the floor and as for us, we like having plush carpeting underfoot. Having random rugs doesn't do it for me. We removed the carpet in the loft area upstairs and replaced with wood, having rugs here and there for my daughter to play on. Now that I think about it, having watched her, it would have been more comfortable to have full carpeting. Rugs have a smaller area of comfy plus space and sorry wood planks aren't comfortable at all.

Our dog slips and slides on the wood floor, carpet is better for him.

I just don't want carpet throughout the entire house and in bathrooms.

Old 09-28-2019, 12:41 AM

39,450 posts, read 15,623,846 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by maf763 View Post
Allergies, asthma, they're harder to keep clean, more limiting for decorating accents, bad with pets.
Bingo.

Carpet is not easy to keep clean, and a lot of it just looks shabby. It's easy enough to find decent area rugs for bedrooms and living rooms if that's what you want.

Stairs are the only area I appreciate carpet. Everything else is slippery.

Old 10-01-2019, 06:55 AM

797 posts, read 358,034 times
I don't think it's a fad... floors are made of wood, then people put carpet on top of them. If you grew up in a place with older houses (for example, split-levels and ranches from the 50s-70s are considered very new still while most homes were built in the mid-late 1800s or early 1900s), wood floors are normal. You can dump water and lysol on them and get mopping. I am NOT a fan of these newer "hardwood" floors that don't have layer upon layer of shellac on top.

Regular wood floors with shellac are easy to get clean and KEEP clean. They don't stink. They don't stain. The shellac chips, not the wood. It's easy. It lasts. It's cheaper too. There's a nice glow of the wood that is even better set off by a lovely area rug that can be changed to suit different styles (and removeable, for easy cleaning.) Also, I don't have to ask guests to remove their shoes in my house.

Wear some slippers. :P

Old 10-01-2019, 06:44 PM

26,956 posts, read 64,032,086 times
Carpeting is filthy unhealthy, and generally disgusting. It was a bad idea from the get go. It you ever remove carpeting from a house, you will never want it in your house. In fact, you will never sit or lay on carpeting anywhere. It is akin to sticking your head into the wastebasket in a public bathroom and swishing it around.

Old 10-01-2019, 09:51 PM

2,265 posts, read 1,293,768 times
I also don't understand how you can have carpeting with small kids. This is a bit disgusting but when our kids were small, they would throw up after falling asleep quite often. Especially during the winter. Sometimes they had stomach flu, sometimes upset stomach, sometimes just really bad post nasal drip from cold. Anyway, after they threw up on the area rug we had, it smelled for days despite our best efforts to wash everything off. I shudder to think what would've happened had they done this on a carpet.

On the other hand, we could wash the wood floor with a detergent and the smell was pretty much gone right away.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or