U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-01-2019, 10:38 PM

1,179 posts, read 437,311 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldjensens View Post
Carpeting is filthy unhealthy, and generally disgusting. It was a bad idea from the get go. It you ever remove carpeting from a house, you will never want it in your house. In fact, you will never sit or lay on carpeting anywhere. It is akin to sticking your head into the wastebasket in a public bathroom and swishing it around.
Our first house had four levels and we had two levels with carpet, one with ceramic tiles and the main living level with jarrah, a very dark and expensive Western Australian hardwood. I love the look of timber but it was hard work keeping it looking decent, especially as when it was resanded, it darkened further. Carpet was much easier.

Our present house has carpet in the living rooms and timber in a few rooms. There are two advantages of carpet; it is warmer in winter, keeping in mind that unlike the US, we generally do not have central heating. Secondly it is better for my arthritic knees, better than timber and very much better than ceramic tiles.

So we have the current dilemma that the carpet need replacing and carpet here is very much out of fashion. But we prefer carpet, having lived with the other options. So do we have what we want keeping in mind we may sell in a couple of years, or have what we think other people will want. One opinion from an agent wa s that it really does not matter.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-02-2019, 01:58 PM

10,967 posts, read 10,475,304 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DefiantNJ View Post
I also don't understand how you can have carpeting with small kids. This is a bit disgusting but when our kids were small, they would throw up after falling asleep quite often. Especially during the winter. Sometimes they had stomach flu, sometimes upset stomach, sometimes just really bad post nasal drip from cold. Anyway, after they threw up on the area rug we had, it smelled for days despite our best efforts to wash everything off. I shudder to think what would've happened had they done this on a carpet.

On the other hand, we could wash the wood floor with a detergent and the smell was pretty much gone right away.
That's why Resolve, Oxyclean, etc. was invented. The same as if they'd barf on an area rug on top of a wood floor. I'd rather my babies play around on soft surfaces instead of hard ones too.

Old 10-02-2019, 03:18 PM

1,179 posts, read 437,311 times
Forgot to write previously that another advantage of carpet is that it is quieter than hard floors. So we have a timber floor and four bedrooms downstairs. Designed that way to take advantage of the view. It is noisy downstairs and will be even more so unless we lay timber over heavy insulation rather than just polish the existing floor.

I have never been concerned with cleanliness issues with carpet, except that we have some difficult to remove rust stains. As was said, most people have rugs and they probably take the brunt of unexpected spills anyway.

Singapore airport, the best airport in the world, is carpeted. I think it is fantastic as my knees usually get so sore walking around huge airports and it is so much more comfortable for me.

Old 10-02-2019, 03:36 PM

4,251 posts, read 2,820,004 times
It's a cleanliness issue for me. I ripped out all the carpet in my house and will never own a house with carpet again. I have 2 dogs but even if it were me and zero pets, I wouldn't want carpet.

You can wash the floors every week. It's impractical to clean the carpet every week and vacuuming it isn't the same level of cleanliness.

Old 10-03-2019, 10:59 AM

26,956 posts, read 64,032,086 times
Nothing really cleans carpeting. All the various cleaners do is remove a bit of the surface grime and push the rest deeper where it is not as visible. Carpeting is 'easier" because it absorbs and retains all the slimy effluvia, so you do not have to clean it up. if you want an equivalent form non-carpeted floors, just don't clean them. Then you have the same thing as you get with carpeting and equal convenience.

People differ though. to me if there is grime/filth that you cannot see, it is still grimy/filthy. My wife sees things differently. If you cannot see it, it is fine. So for me cleaning the pantry means taking everything out of it, scrubbing the floor, walls, shelves and if needed the food containers. then if I do not run out of time, I put everything back in, but usually just toss stuff on shelves willy nilly. To her, it means straightening out the items and picking up any the fell on the floor and sorting/arranging them in an orderly fashion. He way looks neater, but it is not clean.

Carpet is the same way. It hides filth and can look neat and orderly, but the filth is still there. IN fact, the hidden filth remains and does not get cleaned up because it is hard to see.

Disorder does not bother me, but filth does.

Old 10-04-2019, 10:23 AM

134 posts, read 36,419 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldjensens View Post
Carpeting is filthy unhealthy, and generally disgusting. It was a bad idea from the get go. It you ever remove carpeting from a house, you will never want it in your house. In fact, you will never sit or lay on carpeting anywhere. It is akin to sticking your head into the wastebasket in a public bathroom and swishing it around.

You're probably being dramatic for comedic effect, but if truthful, you might want to consider being evaluated for OCD or other anxiety-based mental disorders.

There are surfaces that you touch on a daily basis (like your cell phone) that are far filthier and covered in pathogens than most carpets. For people that aren't immunocompromised, it's not a problem anyway.

Do you have your couches wrapped in those vinyl covers to protect you from germs and filth there also, or do you sit on hardwood/tile benches?

Old 10-04-2019, 12:43 PM

3,948 posts, read 4,759,825 times
We have carpeting on our stairs and the entire 2nd floor (except bathrooms) and I don't like it. My plan is rip it all out and replace with hardwoods (real hardwoods, not laminate) in 2-3 years. At that point we will have lived in the house for over 15 years and will be kid-free (yay college!) and likely pet-free. Can't wait!

Old 10-04-2019, 05:37 PM

1 posts, read 87 times
Exclamation Carpet Perspective as Millennial Real Estate Agent

Quote:
Originally Posted by redguard57 View Post
The other one had carpet on floors throughout and basic white kitchen appointments befitting a rental. It took about 4 months to sell. My sense was that the carpet was the culprit.
Carpets are dirty if you think about it. Unless shoes and socks are on at all times while walking in the home, the carpets are going to leach the oils out of the bottom of the foot. If there is any dust or dirt on the ground in an area with no carpet, the barefoot will pick up the dirt and remain on the foot. When the foot returns to the carpet, the oils and natural sweat - that may not feel is there - but it is, smears onto the carpet. The carpet over time will become discolored and may retain odor.

Now that is from what I see as a valuation inspector in many homes that I am sent to for interior inspections. Now, I know there are exceptions to the rule with "Mr or Ms. Clean" tenants or homeowners, but for the most part, carpets are dirty fabrics that new homeowners DO NOT want in their new living space.

Background: I am 29 years old, a NYS Licensed Real Estate salesperson, I just bought my first Townhome and I have full hardwood floors throughout. This was a good decision for me because it is so much easier to sweep up some debris rather than lugging the vacuum up or down the stairs and the draw of power.

Yes, carpets can be vacuumed and shampooed but that doesn't stop the buyers from feeling gross about carpets in general.

If I didn't have hardwood flooring, I would of had to rip it out after I just got this new puppy. She peed and poo'd in at least every room when she first came home. That would of been so tragic if all of the carpets got ruined before I made the first year here. So yeah, people have pets and dirty shoes and feet and they will naturally dirty, soil, transfer odor to the carpet that someone moving into a 'new' house doesn't want 'old' fabrics.

Last edited by joeprofaci; 10-04-2019 at 05:41 PM.. Reason: Thought about getting puppy and used wrong version of 'their'.

Old 10-07-2019, 12:05 PM

1 posts, read 38 times
Millennial's hate carpet for several reasons. Carpet after time harbors odor, and it is difficult to clean. If you have bad allergies, carpet is your worst enemy. Many people own pets, and we all know how much pets can damage the carpet. Today people do not want to deal with all of the problems and expense that comes with carpet. It is much better to use throw rugs if you like the feel of the fabric on your feet. Benjamin Ross My Active Agent.

Old 10-07-2019, 01:40 PM

4,174 posts, read 2,191,608 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Girl View Post
We have carpeting on our stairs and the entire 2nd floor (except bathrooms) and I don't like it. My plan is rip it all out and replace with hardwoods (real hardwoods, not laminate) in 2-3 years. At that point we will have lived in the house for over 15 years and will be kid-free (yay college!) and likely pet-free. Can't wait!
Same here. I'm getting the carpet on my stairs to the 2nd floor taken out first because I can smell the musty carpet while in the living room AND I found real wood steps underneath (yay!). Then I'll get the carpet in the upstairs bedroom replaced with hardwoods and not worry about the cats barfing on it anymore.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or