Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-09-2019, 09:20 AM

24,561 posts, read 40,266,317 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by redguard57 View Post
Two houses recently sold around the corner from me provide a test case. As for the exterior, layout, and build quality they were identical, built at the same time, I think around 2000ish.

But on the interior, one was updated circa 2013-14 or so, one was not. The updated one had ripped out the carpet, put in wood, or some kind fake wood floors, and put in modern kitchen finishings including fashionable hard counter surface and backsplash, stainless appliances. A few other aesthetic touches here and there.

That one sold within 2 weeks.

The other one had carpet on floors throughout and basic white kitchen appointments befitting a rental. It took about 4 months to sell. My sense was that the carpet was the culprit.

When I sold my old house, the first thing the new owners did was rip the carpet out with a vengeance. They were a young couple around 30, newly married. I drove by like 2 days after we closed, and the carpet remnants were all out in the yard, lol. I don't know why Millennials hate carpet so much but boy do they ever hate it.
I'm not a Millennial and I hate carpet too. It's impossible to keep clean.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-20-2019, 11:14 AM

9,588 posts, read 5,836,586 times
I'm a older GenXer, and I despise carpet. It's nothing but a bacteria collector. Even if one were to have it professionally cleaned every month, hypothetically speaking, it wouldn't be entirely clean or sanitized.

I bought my current home almost 5 years ago. There is carpet throughout the bedrooms upstairs that I would love to get rid of. On the main level, the only room that had carpet was the livingroom, and I had that replaced with tile last fall. That decision was one of the best I've ever made in my 25+ years as a home-owner.

Even I didn't have pets, tile is so much more livable. Cleaner, less expensive in the long-run, and so much easier to maintain.

Last edited by newdixiegirl; 12-20-2019 at 11:28 AM..

Old 12-20-2019, 12:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bondaroo View Post
There was a very short time in history where "wall-to-wall carpeting" was trendy. I'm over 50, and remember when I was a kid in the late 60s/early 70s that was what it was called. Considered very luxurious. My parents were tickled in the 80s when Dad retired from the military and they finally bought a house that had carpets everywhere. My first condo had carpets, but by the time my husband and I bought a house in the early 2000s hardwood was starting a trend comeback. That has lasted, and given the great selection of hard floors, will continue on. I don't see the wall-to-wall trend returning.
Yep. I was a young kid in the 70s, and I clearly remember when wall-to-wall shag carpet was all the rage. I was about 10 when I had orange -- yes, ORANGE -- shag carpet in my bedroom that I was so proud of!

Old 12-20-2019, 12:51 PM

10,089 posts, read 6,420,662 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newdixiegirl View Post
Yep. I was a young kid in the 70s, and I clearly remember when wall-to-wall shag carpet was all the rage. I was about 10 when I had orange -- yes, ORANGE -- shag carpet in my bedroom that I was so proud of!
When I had my first "real" apartment in 1970 (a studio with a miniscule kitchen and bath over a secondhand shop), it had dreary brown linoleum flooring throughout. I was SO thrilled to brighten it up with a large, round orange shag rug right in the middle of the one room. I thought I was so "mod"!

Old 12-20-2019, 01:08 PM

34,088 posts, read 82,920,234 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bungalove View Post
When I had my first "real" apartment in 1970 ...
with a large, round orange shag rug right in the middle of the one room. I thought I was so "mod"!
I bet that rug still has some spilled seeds and shake in it.

Old 12-20-2019, 01:25 PM

1,299 posts, read 822,422 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newdixiegirl View Post
Did you have a rake for it? One of my chores was to rake the shag carpet in the living room after my mom vacuumed. lol

Old 12-20-2019, 01:33 PM

10,089 posts, read 6,420,662 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrRational View Post
I bet that rug still has some spilled seeds and shake in it.
Nope, at least not from me. Straight arrow all the way.

Old 12-20-2019, 01:48 PM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,551 posts, read 81,085,957 times
Our house was built in 1979 and still has the dark brown shag in the bonus room over the garage. We left it because it's my shop for my side business, and will replace it with probably laminate before we sell in a few years. The rest of the house is a mix of newer carpet (bedrooms, living and dining room) and hardwood (entry, den, family room). I think carpet is best for stairs (quiet and falls) and bedrooms (warm and soft). Trends change, so we will consider what to do before we sell and do what's hot then. Choices are based on influencers rather than practicality or individual taste. Many who have posted here are being practical based on their own experience, but many just go with the trend. I think it's sadly boring to think that everyone has to have hardwood floors, stainless steel appliances and granite counter tops. This is what TV and social media do to us.

Old 12-20-2019, 02:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bondaroo View Post
Did you have a rake for it? One of my chores was to rake the shag carpet in the living room after my mom vacuumed. lol
Oh, fun! My mother is a total clean freak, so I'm surprised raking the carpet after she vacuumed wasn't one of my chores.

Old 12-20-2019, 03:42 PM

6,963 posts, read 2,696,549 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by maf763 View Post
Allergies, asthma, they're harder to keep clean, more limiting for decorating accents, bad with pets.
Carpet is temporary. Wood is forever.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate