U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old Yesterday, 05:04 PM

7,257 posts, read 4,033,215 times

Advertisements

Easier to keep wood floors clean. I live near and frequent the beach and sand can be an issue with carpet. When I got my house it had carpeting and when we pulled it up... there was a Beach underneath! Lol
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old Yesterday, 05:08 PM

21,541 posts, read 12,174,575 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Berteau View Post
It doesnít make sense to me either other than hardwood is trendy. But they wonít admit itís just because itís trendy. Carpet is softer, it absorbs sound, itís warmer. I much prefer it and wonít buy a house thatís all hardwood. I need carpeting at a minimum in my bedrooms and living room. They say hardwood is easier to clean, but thatís what vacuum cleaners are for. Iíve never heard of not being able to keep carpeting clean.
Have you ever removed carpet yourself? If you saw what was underneath it, even carpet that was regularly vacuumed, you wouldn't make silly statements about not understanding carpet not being clean.

And no, it has nothing to do with the feeble claim that it's "trendy" which people on CD use as in insult to describe home attributes they don't care for. There are many valid reasons people like hardwood which have been cited in this thread.

Old Yesterday, 05:10 PM

9 posts, read 1,747 times
I don't consider myself a germaphobe or a neat-freak, but I feel that carpet needs to be professionally cleaned and replaced regularly. It's hard to remove stains. It gets worn in high-traffic areas. I like being able to see every speck of dirt. I bought a house that had carpet everywhere, even in the bathrooms around the toilets, and there were vomit stains that went all the way through to the underlayment. I ripped it out and put in tile and wood.

Old Yesterday, 05:12 PM

9,964 posts, read 5,552,791 times
Wood floors for me...

Longevity, cleaner, spill stain resistant, and style wise. You can put an area rug on wood floors but not an area wood floor on carpet.

It is also a lot more expensive to install hardwood floors in a home with carpet the first time around. Easier to do before you move in as well. So that contributes to resale value.

Unfortunately my home is all carpet.. Oh well.

Old Yesterday, 05:20 PM

5,522 posts, read 3,853,936 times
I feel like carpet is warmer. I don't particularly like waking up and walking barefoot on a cold floor in the winter. Although in our new house we have bamboo floors in the living spaces and carpet in the bedrooms.

Old Yesterday, 05:33 PM

3,857 posts, read 2,288,924 times
Millennials? LOL!! I had all the carpet ripped out of my 1926 house by the late 90s. I still have to repair the missing curved moldings on the stairs. The entire upstairs was carpeted! I just have a simple vacuum cleaner now. Love my wood floors - even in the bathroom.

Old Yesterday, 05:34 PM

161 posts, read 28,007 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by redguard57 View Post
Two houses recently sold around the corner from me provide a test case. As for the exterior, layout, and build quality they were identical, built at the same time, I think around 2000ish.

But on the interior, one was updated circa 2013-14 or so, one was not. The updated one had ripped out the carpet, put in wood, or some kind fake wood floors, and put in modern kitchen finishings including fashionable hard counter surface and backsplash, stainless appliances. A few other aesthetic touches here and there.

That one sold within 2 weeks.

The other one had carpet on floors throughout and basic white kitchen appointments befitting a rental. It took about 4 months to sell. My sense was that the carpet was the culprit.

When I sold my old house, the first thing the new owners did was rip the carpet out with a vengeance. They were a young couple around 30, newly married. I drove by like 2 days after we closed, and the carpet remnants were all out in the yard, lol. I don't know why Millennials hate carpet so much but boy do they ever hate it.
You're cherry picking one event and making a sweeping judgment off this.

Last edited by Mike from back east; Yesterday at 08:37 PM.. Reason: Personal attack.

Old Yesterday, 05:44 PM

1,752 posts, read 894,670 times
I LOVE carpet. It is more comfortable and looks nicer, cozier.

Old Yesterday, 05:44 PM

16,147 posts, read 13,886,334 times
I got tile throughout, rugs are put where I need them. Hate carpet.

Old Yesterday, 05:48 PM

2,654 posts, read 5,398,851 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by redguard57 View Post
Two houses recently sold around the corner from me provide a test case. As for the exterior, layout, and build quality they were identical, built at the same time, I think around 2000ish.

But on the interior, one was updated circa 2013-14 or so, one was not. The updated one had ripped out the carpet, put in wood, or some kind fake wood floors, and put in modern kitchen finishings including fashionable hard counter surface and backsplash, stainless appliances. A few other aesthetic touches here and there.

That one sold within 2 weeks.
Two very significant differences and OP attributes the different outcomes to one of them.

Looks like suspect reasoning to me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or