U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old Yesterday, 06:02 PM

2,009 posts, read 868,803 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by emm74 View Post
Have you ever removed carpet yourself? If you saw what was underneath it, even carpet that was regularly vacuumed, you wouldn't make silly statements about not understanding carpet not being clean.

And no, it has nothing to do with the feeble claim that it's "trendy" which people on CD use as in insult to describe home attributes they don't care for. There are many valid reasons people like hardwood which have been cited in this thread.
Well I’m not walking underneath carpeting. I walk on the surface. Do you walk under hardwood? When you walk barefoot on carpeting does your feet have dirt on them?

Reminds me of people who have to wash their hands 10times a day with antibacterial soap when it has negative health effects. It’s all in their head.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old Yesterday, 06:18 PM

6,233 posts, read 3,478,575 times
I like hard surface floors with a big area rug - we usually have big carpet remnants bound - in the living room. I like carpet in the living room, but not installed wall to wall, I like to be able to toss it out and get a new one every few years and only be out a couple hundred bucks.

Old Yesterday, 06:26 PM

94 posts, read 56,279 times
I wouldn't live with someone else's dirty carpets so I can see why the new buyers of your old home removed them. It's so gross as to think the people prior walked barefoot on them etc. Many people don't realize it, but carpet actually absorbs smelly odors, dust, stains, and is more difficult to thoroughly clean. I prefer fresh and easy to maintain hardwood flooring or porcelain tiles. In addition, I just personally don't like the way carpet looks... it looks very cheap.

Old Yesterday, 08:29 PM

5,501 posts, read 6,775,576 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Berteau View Post
It doesnít make sense to me either other than hardwood is trendy. But they wonít admit itís just because itís trendy. Carpet is softer, it absorbs sound, itís warmer. I much prefer it and wonít buy a house thatís all hardwood. I need carpeting at a minimum in my bedrooms and living room. They say hardwood is easier to clean, but thatís what vacuum cleaners are for. Iíve never heard of not being able to keep carpeting clean.
How is hardwood trendy? It's literally been around since houses have existed.

Old Yesterday, 08:32 PM

5,501 posts, read 6,775,576 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Berteau View Post
Well Iím not walking underneath carpeting. I walk on the surface. Do you walk under hardwood? When you walk barefoot on carpeting does your feet have dirt on them?

Reminds me of people who have to wash their hands 10times a day with antibacterial soap when it has negative health effects. Itís all in their head.
He's pointing out that even if it looks clean, it's really not. Carpet holds on to all kinds of dirt, dust, allergens, etc.

Old Yesterday, 09:42 PM

411 posts, read 482,266 times
Carpet is just plain nasty. You walk across it with your shoes on tracking in the outside or barefoot with your dirty feet, your dog and/or cat tracks whatever is on its feet all over it, you spill a drink on it and it molds underneath what you managed to sop up, and when you clean it, the leftover water molds underneath it. Then people put a little baby's nose down in the nasty gross carpet and wonder why the kid is sick all the time. At least with throw rugs you can toss them after they get so disgusting.

Old Yesterday, 09:50 PM

6,589 posts, read 5,261,273 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by redguard57 View Post
I feel like carpet is warmer. I don't particularly like waking up and walking barefoot on a cold floor in the winter. Although in our new house we have bamboo floors in the living spaces and carpet in the bedrooms.
Wood floors with nice rugs?

Old Yesterday, 09:52 PM

6,589 posts, read 5,261,273 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WouldLoveTo View Post
Millennials? LOL!! I had all the carpet ripped out of my 1926 house by the late 90s. I still have to repair the missing curved moldings on the stairs. The entire upstairs was carpeted! I just have a simple vacuum cleaner now. Love my wood floors - even in the bathroom.
1929 home here - ripped out the carpets too.

Old Yesterday, 10:19 PM

71 posts, read 40,112 times
We raised 3 kids (2 with asthma) and still have 3 dogs. My first choice in our next house is sll hard floors, laminate, tile, or wood.

It makes me sad to see people advertise new carpet. I like it in the bedrooms if new but will either pass on the house or rip it out if there is carpet in the living areas. Laminate floors are my favorite because they have been the most indestructible next to tile.

Old Yesterday, 10:48 PM

7,046 posts, read 3,862,874 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spedteach17 View Post
We raised 3 kids (2 with asthma) and still have 3 dogs. My first choice in our next house is sll hard floors, laminate, tile, or wood.

It makes me sad to see people advertise new carpet. I like it in the bedrooms if new but will either pass on the house or rip it out if there is carpet in the living areas. Laminate floors are my favorite because they have been the most indestructible next to tile.
This. We removed about half the carpet in the house except the living room and kids bedrooms. Living room is next. House was brand new when we moved in and we already had to replace the kid's rooms once. Young kids and pets do unspeakable things to carpet. If I were building a house from scratch, I'd probably use either laminate or linoleum in kid's rooms for easier cleaning and sanitizing.

Carpet is one of those things that feels so wonderful under foot when brand new. But get a little use on it and it becomes the number one source of dirt and allergens in the house. No amount of vacuuming and shampooing can get it clean again.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or