U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old Yesterday, 10:56 PM

5,522 posts, read 3,853,936 times

Advertisements

If carpet is a problem with cleanliness, why is it more common in rentals? When I younger and poorer, every apartment or cheap rent house that I ever lived in were carpeted.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old Today, 01:22 AM

7,272 posts, read 4,026,593 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by redguard57 View Post
If carpet is a problem with cleanliness, why is it more common in rentals? When I younger and poorer, every apartment or cheap rent house that I ever lived in were carpeted.
Any more questions?

Old Today, 04:19 AM

6,569 posts, read 3,054,506 times
Quote:
its a sound barrier to some extent. Holds the heat from lower/upper areas.

If I had to listen to my upstairs neighbor who walks with a thunderous thump ...I can't imagine how it is without carpet. Good gravy!

I like carpet in some areas of the home.....we had it in our family room ....what joy it was to snuggle up on the floor...drink our hot cocoa near the fire place. Doing that on hard wood would be terribly uncomfortable.

Old Today, 05:15 AM

1,962 posts, read 367,943 times
I hate carpet because I'm allergic to dust and imagine tons of dust and germs getting trapped in carpeting. Plus I have a cat who tracks kitty litter all over. So much easier to keep the floors clean without dealing with carpeting.

Old Today, 05:54 AM

124 posts, read 39,453 times
As others have stated, carpet is harder to keep clean and can cause health problems in those who are susceptible. I prefer hardwood (solid) or ceramic. Carpet is tolerable in the bedrooms but even then I'd prefer solid surface floors with kids...kids get sick and it's MUCH easier to clean up on solid floor than on carpet, ditto for pets. Carpet is also rather wasteful since it doesn't last as long. The only carpet left in our 1927 house is in the finished attic (which I'm ok with for now since it's relatively new and is serving as a bedroom for our highschooler). When it's time to go I'm ripping it up. There's also some carpet going down he basement stairs which is also coming up when we fix up the basement.

Old Today, 06:31 AM

2,009 posts, read 868,803 times
Quote:
All the newer apartments have hardwood and many older ones are being remodled to hardwood. Carpeting is cheaper and hardwood is more trendy now.

Old Today, 06:34 AM

33,985 posts, read 59,090,283 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Berteau View Post
All the newer apartments have hardwood and many older ones are being remodled to hardwood. Carpeting is cheaper and hardwood is more trendy now.

Real hardwoods are generally much cheaper over time, without doubt.

We have 15 year old carpet. It is almost time to replace.
We have 17 year old hardwoods in much more heavily used areas. It is in nearly new condition, with some fading from sunlight, and it will be good for the life of the house.
The wood cost double to install, but over time will be far less expensive and cleaner than carpet.

Old Today, 07:07 AM

6,566 posts, read 3,678,424 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skipito View Post
You're cherry picking one event and making a sweeping judgment off this.
And one item. I’d think a home with an updated kitchen with stainless appliances will sell faster than one with builder grade white appliances, carpet or no carpet.

Old Today, 07:14 AM

6,566 posts, read 3,678,424 times
Note there’s carpet and there’s carpet. When we purchased a year ago we ripped out the upstairs carpet and replaced it with new carpet.

Cheap high cut pile is usually olefin which doesn’t wear well or repel all stains. Wool looks and feels good but is the most expensive and prone to staining.

We went with a high end nylon in a Berber loop style. Not as soft as wool but very stain resistant and long wearing. Mid priced between olefin and wool.

Old Today, 07:55 AM

15,375 posts, read 31,518,639 times
I am one who hates carpet. First of all, I live in Florida where we have sandy soils. But I have allergies and also pets who occasionally have accidents or get sick. For me much easier to maintain wood or terrazzo, which I fortunately have in my current house and the one we are moving to. In Florida, you see very very few homes with carpet anymore.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or