U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old Yesterday, 07:55 AM
 
Location: Stuck on the East Coast, hoping to head West
3,816 posts, read 9,363,278 times
Reputation: 7428

Advertisements

I think people love statement rugs.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old Yesterday, 08:33 AM
 
5,502 posts, read 6,777,323 times
Reputation: 8897
Quote:
Originally Posted by redguard57 View Post
If carpet is a problem with cleanliness, why is it more common in rentals? When I younger and poorer, every apartment or cheap rent house that I ever lived in were carpeted.
Because it's cheap. A landlord doesn't really care as much if a tenant destroys a carpet. But if a tenant destroys wood, it's much more expensive to refinish or replace. And trust me, tenants destroy things you would not even think of.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old Yesterday, 08:52 AM
 
454 posts, read 123,062 times
Reputation: 1209
My house has both.

And if we sell, it'll still have both and any new home owner can do what they want.

Me, I prefer the feel of carpet in a bedroom.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old Yesterday, 08:56 AM
 
Location: Great Britain
12,455 posts, read 4,259,859 times
Reputation: 7712
Tiles, laminate or vinyl flooring are most appropriate for kitchens and bathrooms.

Wood is a good option for hallways and lounge areas, and comfortable quality carpeting is usually more appropriate for a bedroom.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old Yesterday, 09:12 AM
 
Location: 5,400 feet
2,680 posts, read 2,643,773 times
Reputation: 3791
Our house was initially about 50/50 carpet and tile. A couple of years ago we pulled out all the carpeting and are now 100% tile. Very happy to see the carpeting go, but it did last 17 years.


We have in-floor radiant heat, so the floor is nice and warm in the winter.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old Yesterday, 09:18 AM
 
Location: SW Florida
10,930 posts, read 5,119,198 times
Reputation: 22753
Quote:
Originally Posted by Berteau View Post
It doesnít make sense to me either other than hardwood is trendy. But they wonít admit itís just because itís trendy. Carpet is softer, it absorbs sound, itís warmer. I much prefer it and wonít buy a house thatís all hardwood. I need carpeting at a minimum in my bedrooms and living room. They say hardwood is easier to clean, but thatís what vacuum cleaners are for. Iíve never heard of not being able to keep carpeting clean.
Have you ever had pets? Once they have an accident or throw up it's impossible to get the carpet clean past the surface area. When my sister had her carpet replaced with wood floors she was shocked at how much gross stuff was in the carpet pad and she keeps a clean house. The only carpet I have now are two area rugs and my bedroom has a thick, plush carpet that was here when I bought it but if I could afford it right now I would replace it also. With tile or wood you drop something on the floor, it's easy to clean up and you don't have to worry about taking your shoes off the minute you walk in the house. I'm fortunate my dog has never had any kind of accident but the cat is a different story. People just feel that carpet isn't "clean" like a hard surface floor is especially when you are in a rental. Who knows what is in the carpet from previous owners?

But then if I lived in a very cold climate I would want carpet in the bedrooms at least.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old Yesterday, 09:26 AM
 
Location: SW Florida
10,930 posts, read 5,119,198 times
Reputation: 22753
Quote:
Originally Posted by redguard57 View Post
If carpet is a problem with cleanliness, why is it more common in rentals? When I younger and poorer, every apartment or cheap rent house that I ever lived in were carpeted.
Because it's cheap. Any apartment that I've been in over the last 20 years has had the same, cheap beige or taupe color carpet. They use the cheapest pad also. Most landlords don't have the foresight to think if they spent a little money now for tile or linoleum (faux wood) it would cost less in the long run than having to replace carpet every few years. I bet almost all of a person's security deposit goes toward replacing carpet.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old Yesterday, 10:02 AM
 
3,860 posts, read 2,288,924 times
Reputation: 4271
Quote:
Originally Posted by chiluvr1228 View Post

But then if I lived in a very cold climate I would want carpet in the bedrooms at least.
Slippers is all you need. So much cheaper than a carpet!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old Yesterday, 10:02 AM
 
Location: Cary, NC
33,985 posts, read 59,100,699 times
Reputation: 32893
Quote:
Originally Posted by chiluvr1228 View Post
Have you ever had pets? Once they have an accident or throw up it's impossible to get the carpet clean past the surface area. When my sister had her carpet replaced with wood floors she was shocked at how much gross stuff was in the carpet pad and she keeps a clean house. The only carpet I have now are two area rugs and my bedroom has a thick, plush carpet that was here when I bought it but if I could afford it right now I would replace it also. With tile or wood you drop something on the floor, it's easy to clean up and you don't have to worry about taking your shoes off the minute you walk in the house. I'm fortunate my dog has never had any kind of accident but the cat is a different story. People just feel that carpet isn't "clean" like a hard surface floor is especially when you are in a rental. Who knows what is in the carpet from previous owners?

But then if I lived in a very cold climate I would want carpet in the bedrooms at least.



I dearly hope to never live in a cold climate again, but if I found myself there, heated hardwood floors would surely be the ticket.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old Yesterday, 10:44 AM
 
Location: Columbia SC
9,268 posts, read 8,014,279 times
Reputation: 12831
One can always put rugs over hardwood floors where wanted.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply

Quick Reply
Message:


Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top