Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-16-2019, 01:55 PM

3,248 posts, read 2,454,113 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trekker99 View Post
So?

And we're the ones that can afford a home without moving back in with mom and dad - so we get to decide what flooring we get.
Hah. I bought my first house at 20 as an investment and have been investing in real estate ever since. First downpayment was savings from working three jobs. Left home at 18. I guess I get to decide what I like huh? And it hurts to see that others think what passed for taste in the 80s is reviled in 2019. Sorry you don't like it.

Not everyone under 60 relies on their parents. And those over 60 would do well to realize that tastes change.

Last edited by emotiioo; 09-16-2019 at 02:08 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-16-2019, 01:57 PM

3,248 posts, read 2,454,113 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CarolinaMoon1 View Post
We have had dogs for about 30 years, first in a carpeted home and now with wood grain tile throughout.

It's like night and day - the tile is so much easier to keep clean, and does not retain any dog odors. We use reasonably-priced area rugs and will soon be experimenting with some washable ones.
If your have pets some kind of hard surface flooring is a must.

Old 09-16-2019, 02:17 PM

7,357 posts, read 11,753,298 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by redguard57 View Post
Two houses recently sold around the corner from me provide a test case. As for the exterior, layout, and build quality they were identical, built at the same time, I think around 2000ish.

But on the interior, one was updated circa 2013-14 or so, one was not. The updated one had ripped out the carpet, put in wood, or some kind fake wood floors, and put in modern kitchen finishings including fashionable hard counter surface and backsplash, stainless appliances. A few other aesthetic touches here and there.

That one sold within 2 weeks.

The other one had carpet on floors throughout and basic white kitchen appointments befitting a rental. It took about 4 months to sell. My sense was that the carpet was the culprit.

When I sold my old house, the first thing the new owners did was rip the carpet out with a vengeance. They were a young couple around 30, newly married. I drove by like 2 days after we closed, and the carpet remnants were all out in the yard, lol. I don't know why Millennials hate carpet so much but boy do they ever hate it.
The cleanest carpet is dirtier than the dirtiest hard flooring. It collects hair, crumbs, spills, mold, dust, fleas and bad smells. And a hard floor is far easier to clean, especially the stairs.

Old 09-16-2019, 02:52 PM

11,025 posts, read 7,831,231 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallysmom View Post
It is. And the fact that carpet is still being sold everywhere that sells flooring means that it is still a strong contender, a lot of people still like it. What I’m seeing in some of the new builds, is hardwood floors in the main living areas, and in the bedrooms which aren’t heavy use areas, do have carpet because it’s softer on your feet, it’s warmer and absorbs sound.
Interesting thought, but it's also interesting to note that carpet stores used to sell carpets and rugs. Period. Now carpet stores sell all types of flooring because they saw their niche market shrinking rapidly. At least the ones that haven't gone out of business do.

Old 09-16-2019, 02:59 PM

2,001 posts, read 2,511,574 times
isn't it obvious? Hardwood floor is so beautiful and easier to clean. Carpet traps germs and dirt. No matter how much you vaccum it it's never going to be as beautiful and clean as hardwood floor.

Old 09-16-2019, 03:00 PM

13,480 posts, read 8,371,084 times
If you plan to have kids I'd recommend getting carpet.

Old 09-16-2019, 03:07 PM

2,790 posts, read 1,642,228 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by redguard57 View Post
The updated one had ripped out the carpet, put in wood, or some kind fake wood floors, and put in modern kitchen finishings including fashionable hard counter surface and backsplash, stainless appliances. A few other aesthetic touches here and there.

That one sold within 2 weeks.

The other one had carpet on floors throughout and basic white kitchen appointments befitting a rental. It took about 4 months to sell. My sense was that the carpet was the culprit.
I'm sure someone answered your question, but it's not just the carpet. It's also the modern kitchen. Kitchens are very important to home buyers and a HUGE lure.

Between these 2 houses, I would buy the updated one any day.

When we bought our home, we had the carpet in the living room ripped out and underneath was original wood. Much easier to clean up due to spills, crumbs, stains. Vacuum and mop. Kitchen and dining room are laminate floor and also easy cleanup.

But our bedroom is carpeted and after 12 years, it is flat (not soft anymore) and full of stains. But the wood and laminate flooring still look the same after all these years.

Old 09-16-2019, 03:53 PM

8,009 posts, read 10,418,653 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PriscillaVanilla View Post
If you plan to have kids I'd recommend getting carpet.
Why? Kids are all the more reason to NOT have carpet since they are messy little things.

Old 09-16-2019, 04:14 PM

10,113 posts, read 19,394,180 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by emotiioo View Post
If your have pets some kind of hard surface flooring is a must.
When we bought our home it had nice, new carpet. Before even moving in, we had the carpet ripped out and replaced with porcelain wood plank flooring. Two reasons:

The previous owners seemed to be quite clean, but still....They had an elderly parent, who sometimes have "accidents" and a dog, who can mess on the floor despite the best of training.

We had, at the time, four elderly cats (one has since passed). They did have problems, too, which we didn't want adding to the carpet.

The porcelain is expensive, but so worth it. It's impervious, cleans up easily, much better than hardwood and looks the same. You have to be realistic when furnishing your home. Who is going to live there? You're not gearing for a photo shoot in House Beautiful! If you have pets, or elderly relatives, get flooring that can take it!

Old 09-16-2019, 04:48 PM

37,593 posts, read 45,950,883 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Burnley View Post
I’m a millennial and I don’t like carpet because it’s unhealthy. Carpet retains odors and dust, it’s disgusting especially if the same carpet has been used by previous owners over the years.

Ripping out carpet has been a trend since the late 90s, it’s not a millennial thing, nobody likes carpet anymore.
I much prefer carpet in bedrooms. I will be replacing my own carpet in the bedrooms, with new carpet!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate