U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Carpet or Hardwood?
All Carpet. 11 8.15%
All Hardwood. 124 91.85%
Voters: 135. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-17-2019, 07:40 AM

4,549 posts, read 2,681,836 times

Advertisements

I can't recall a single time where my feet were cold on hardwood. And I've lived in Wisconsin, Upper Peninsula of Michigan, and Montana. Hardwood in the living room, hard wood in the dining room, and hardwood in the bedrooms.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-17-2019, 03:46 PM

7,249 posts, read 3,993,141 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeJaquish View Post
There are only two houses in the poll.
On purpose.

The trend and consumer desire are clear when those are the choices.
I think that was my point. In the real world, I would not choose either of those things.

It didn't ask what people LIKE. It asked what people would choose. If those two things were my choices where I live, I would HAVE to choose carpet. But I would not LIKE it. So it doesn't show a trend, at least in my case.

The trend is definitely non-carpet, preferably wood combo with tile. You don't even need a poll for that! (I house hunted recently, so I know from seeing all the ads for the houses. "No carpet!" "No carpet!" "No carpet!")

Old 09-18-2019, 12:51 PM

23,178 posts, read 29,610,101 times
If the houses are absolutely equal, they aren't equal unless that is way up there, high end, 100% wool carpeting.

That solid hardwood flooring throughout the house is quite an expense.

I prefer to live on wood floors. I prefer the look and I much prefer the cleaning and maintenance of it.

I've got a roomba that goes around every morning and vacuums my wood floors. I only have to wipe up spots and spills.

My wood floors have never been cold, but area rugs can be used. Cheap colorful ones and throw them away when they get dirty.

Old 09-18-2019, 07:11 PM

32,704 posts, read 60,569,563 times
It's not a black and white decision, but I'd pick the house with the wood floors because I could add carpeting in rooms where I want it.

Old 09-19-2019, 11:48 AM

12,083 posts, read 20,648,476 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeJaquish View Post
So....
You have to choose between two identical houses in identical settings in the same neighborhood. Both homes fit your needs perfectly.
But, you have a choice to make:
They both have tile or vinyl in wet areas, i.e., baths, kitchen, laundry.
The rest of the house is either hardwood floors or carpet.

Which house will you pick?
Can I qualify this? I voted all hardwoods, but if the hardwoods are that engineered stuff Iíll take the carpeted one, rip it up and put in strip Oak. Itís got to be cheaper than ripping up the engineered hardwood they put down.

Old 09-19-2019, 12:28 PM

34,030 posts, read 59,187,602 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallysmom View Post
Can I qualify this? I voted all hardwoods, but if the hardwoods are that engineered stuff Iíll take the carpeted one, rip it up and put in strip Oak. Itís got to be cheaper than ripping up the engineered hardwood they put down.

Nahhhh.
No qualifications...

Old 09-19-2019, 07:38 PM

11,923 posts, read 27,113,742 times
Although carpet may feel better on your feet, it's gross for obvious reasons! You can use rugs on top of of hardwood instead.

Old 09-20-2019, 08:13 PM

4,870 posts, read 2,655,790 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sherifftruman View Post
Hardwoods all the way and a big ole nope to vinyl in the kitchen and bath. We have wood in the kitchen and downstairs half bath and ceramic upstairs, but all hardwoods everywhere else up there too.

People are like, you can see all the dust with hardwoods. My retort is what makes you think the dust isnít there with carpet? And I can easily see mine to clean it up.
Here's a listing photograph of a house with wood (real? fake? I don't know) and all or nearly all of the flooring pictures look like this:

https://ssl.cdn-redfin.com/photo/45/...20651_10_0.jpg

If someone isn't going to clean the floors for their listing photos, I don't believe they are going to keep their floors clean at other times.

I won't take Mike's poll, because I think some rooms are better with wood (real, please), some are better with tile or marble and throw rugs (bathrooms), some are better with high-end carpet, and I really, no really, do not have to choose.

So there.

Old 09-20-2019, 10:49 PM

341 posts, read 216,780 times
I took a very similar poll on Next Door not long ago (suburb of Los Angeles, CA). I was asking because we are gearing up to list our home for sale, and it appears that all the "hot homes" in our area have very little, if any, carpet. Our poll results were 80% no carpet anywhere, 20% keep carpet in the bedrooms only.

Old 09-21-2019, 06:15 AM

6,589 posts, read 9,848,222 times
My feeling is . . . if someone doesn't like hardwood floors it's fairly inexpensive to cover it with a large area rug. It's much more expensive to install hardwood floors if there is carpet. My general sense of buyers (at least in my area) is that there is currently a strong preference among many of them for hardwood.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or