U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Carpet or Hardwood?
All Carpet. 11 8.15%
All Hardwood. 124 91.85%
Voters: 135. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-22-2019, 05:17 AM

5,982 posts, read 6,155,173 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by twinkletwinkle22 View Post
The trend is definitely hardscape in new homes and renovations. That can be wood or "luxury vinyl" (I laugh at that name).
Many still do wall-to-wall carpet in bedrooms for cost but trend is def. to hard floor with area rug on top.

We recently purchased and wood living rooms and common areas made it a "buy" compared to other choices. We'll refloor owners bedroom in wood to match but prob not guest room.
I donít think itís laughable, really. We didnít care what it cost, we wanted a modern look and reviewed hundreds of options. When we finally came down to it, we realized we didnít like the look of ANY wood. It just didnít look modern and all modern styles and inspirations weíve seen donít use anything that looks like wood, even if it is wood. There werenít any gray woods, so we went with enhanced / luxury vinyl because itís a stronger product than wood anyway, and waterproof. It simply looked superior to wood options regardless of price.

I voted all wood but our house has no wood and no carpet. All porcelain tile (12Ē by 24Ē tiles downstairs), enhanced vinyl (upstairs besides bathrooms), and white marble (bathrooms).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-22-2019, 05:45 AM

9,646 posts, read 8,171,744 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallysmom View Post
Can I qualify this? I voted all hardwoods, but if the hardwoods are that engineered stuff Iíll take the carpeted one, rip it up and put in strip Oak. Itís got to be cheaper than ripping up the engineered hardwood they put down.
What do you dislike about engineered hardwoods?

If you get a quality product, they are far more dimensional stability than solid wood floors. Many of them even have veneers that are plenty thick enough to be sanded/re-finished more than once.

Old Yesterday, 02:39 PM

6 posts, read 694 times
definitely would! The house I'm buying right now has fantastic wood flooring, and I love it. Carpet gets nasty, traps dirt and such.I think a really nice area rug in part to protect the floor, and in part 2 at that softness is a fantastic way to have a little bit of both.

Old Yesterday, 03:11 PM

2,224 posts, read 668,291 times
Wood flooring looks much better to me, but I prefer wall to wall carpet with a nice thick pad. Sound absorption is the big one, followed by way more comfortable to walk on. I don't think maintenance is an advantage with either, as both require regular vacuming or sweeping. Owning a Rug Doctor machine or similar is a must - I'm not going to pay $200 every three months for a professional cleaning, which is about how often I break out the cleaner.
I would rather have a more liveable house than a prettier one.

Last edited by duke944; Yesterday at 03:24 PM..

Old Yesterday, 07:19 PM

1,735 posts, read 3,183,895 times
I don't know.

My previous home had wall to wall carpet and I loved the way it felt on my feet. I miss that.

My present home has engineered hardwood and it is gorgeous and practical.

I like them both.

I guess if I had to choose between two equal homes, one with carpet, and one with hardwood, I'd probably ignore the flooring and choose based on other attributes.

Old Today, 10:31 AM

10,929 posts, read 10,425,474 times
First of all, what's with this distinction between "hardwood" and engineered wood? I have Brazilian Cherry wood floors. PERIOD. And since Brazilian Cherry has been around quite a long while it isn't trendy either.

Putting wood in a bathroom makes no sense, but to each his/her own.

Want...wait, must have..carpet in bedrooms and places where we spend time on the floor (i.e. our hobby room).

Area rugs are ok but in bedrooms, our family needs carpet.

Old Today, 10:36 AM

10,929 posts, read 10,425,474 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hooligan View Post
What do you dislike about engineered hardwoods?

If you get a quality product, they are far more dimensional stability than solid wood floors. Many of them even have veneers that are plenty thick enough to be sanded/re-finished more than once.
I don't understand that stuff either.

I have both solid and engineered in our home. Both are durable, both can be refinished. Who cares if the layer beneath (what no one sees) is plywood?? Plus it can be glued down onto the slab.

And engineered wood floors are made with "real" wood. Plywood is wood.

And honestly, the flooring cost us thousands of dollars so engineered isn't a cheap flooring option, it's just a "less expensive" option.

Old Today, 11:01 AM

11,397 posts, read 8,085,763 times
You can always put carpet over hardwood, you can't put hardwood over carpet. So hardwood is better and you can get area rugs for places you want some carpet for the reason people say they like it.

Old Today, 11:54 AM

2,224 posts, read 668,291 times
An area rug on top of wood flooring is not the same as wall to wall carpet on top of a 7/16" pad. Posters keep saying it's equivalent, but it's nowhere near it. What area they cover is a little more comfortable to walk on than wood, but not much. Carpet over a pad is night/day more comfortable. Same with sound absorption - they help a little with echos, noise transfer and acoustics, but again with wall to wall carpeting it's a night/day difference.

To answer the op's question though, all things being equal between 2 houses I would choose the house with hardwood flooring and install carpet over it. When it came time to sell the house I'd have the carpet taken up for the sale. People expect wood flooring in today's real estate market, and will commonly ask for a flooring allowance without it.

Last edited by duke944; Today at 12:06 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or