U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-17-2019, 07:10 PM

6,252 posts, read 3,496,743 times

Advertisements

There are people who want to be where they can't see any neighbors. If that bothers you, then a neighborhood with other neighbors is probably a better idea.

The only thing puzzling about your scenario is it's only a half acre lot. Usually lots are surrounded by like-size lots. Is this not? Is it a subdivision where others will be building around you eventually?

Most people who actually want to live surrounded by woods buy larger parcels where they can control more of the space around them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-17-2019, 07:18 PM

2,732 posts, read 1,442,729 times
We live in almost that kind of situation, but our town is a VERY unique place that is ultra safe and almost gated. Generally I would really not like to live where there are no neighbors and where vandals or other likely lads could be checking it out without anyone noticing. Also, you have the added question mark of the neighboring lots. What might happen to them? You might end up living in a very different situation than when you bought the house.

Old 09-17-2019, 07:24 PM

42,386 posts, read 3,231,560 times
It would not appeal to me, but if you like it, go for it. Life is all about making your own choices ( including living)

Old 09-17-2019, 07:37 PM

430 posts, read 49,591 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whatsgoingon4 View Post
There's a house that's come for sale a couple of miles from where I live now. On half an acre, inside needs a lot of work but brand new roof, central heat/air and water heater, built in 1990s. Surrounding the house is all woods and vacant land. There are a few houses next street over but none nearby on same street.

I realize some might like this idea because no neighbors might be less problems. But I also find it a bit spooky to have nobody around to have an eye on your property in case there's a fire or someone decides to break in. Also the fact there's nobody around to watch, makes it seem like more of an invitation for thieves when you're away. Or wouldn't it be spooky at night to be the only house on a road?

Then there's the fact the road probably doesn't get much traffic, so could possibly attract ATV riders or people wanting to have parties on the weekends.

I've noticed other houses are like this, often the newer homes in the back of subdivisions, where the only vacant land available to build on is at the outskirts.

What do you think about this? Positive or negative?
Heck yes!! We are looking for property right now and one of the deal breakers is no visible neighbors, minimum 5 acres or so.... You need to be able to protect yourself anyway since the police won't get there for several minutes at the best....

Old 09-17-2019, 08:37 PM

3,389 posts, read 6,255,651 times
I grew up on a 25 acre farm with no neighbors within eyesight from my house. I loved it and would happily do it again. It all depends on your personal opinion/needs. Some like it and others will not.

Old 09-17-2019, 08:43 PM

1,730 posts, read 499,781 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Parnassia View Post
I always check on the zoning and whatever I can find about the ownership of the surrounding parcels and what their plans for the parcels might be. What it might be like now could be bulldozed in 6 months. I walk them if I can (ask permission if I can locate property owners), to see what sorts of dumping, garbage, ATV/dirt bike trails, signs of bonfires, target shooting, camps, etc. Gives an idea what to expect from other people. I wouldn't want to end up next to the local drunken party spot.

As for your question: Would I buy a house like this?

Yes, whenever they are available and the area around it isn't trashed, polluted, or vandalized. I'm not afraid of illegal activities nearby and can protect my own place. You'll come on my property uninvited at your own risk. No, I don't have guns. There are other ways to protect yourself.
This sounds interesting. Like a Netflix movie.

Old 09-17-2019, 09:43 PM

10,909 posts, read 10,406,027 times
No. Hello new home subdivision at your back fenceline. Hello road going past the back of your house.

No. No. No.

I'll only buy in built out established communities.

Old 09-17-2019, 10:08 PM

855 posts, read 407,126 times
I would do some extra research. We have some lots near us that back up to national Forest land, if it was a situation like that, then I'd buy that property in a heartbeat. Not having any neighbors would be wonderful to me, and keeping it that way even better. I'm sick of having neighbors with their dogs that poop on my yard, their eyesores for from yards that have a ton of broken down vehicles all over the place, the dogs that bark all night or at me when I'm in my own yard, and the light pollution from their backyard porches. I do have some nice neighbors who I do like, but I'd rather just be by ourselves isolated and away from all the annoyances of living in a neighborhood.

Old Yesterday, 06:21 AM

5,942 posts, read 1,512,076 times
My question would be why? Is this a subdivision that was started and then one one finished? If so, the reasons would concern me. Will those lots eventually be built on? Did the developer go belly up? I would vote no. I don't like my neighbors being on top of me but I wouldn't want to be completely isolated either.

Old Yesterday, 07:18 AM

5,878 posts, read 4,304,487 times
I have lived in rural areas surrounded by forests since I was 23 years old. One place was 30 miles from the closest town, and our second place is in town, but in a heavily forested area also. Hubby would never have agreed to living in a busy residential area, and I was fine with that. Never once was I afraid to have no neighbors in sight. We've never had trouble of any kind.

We don't even lock our doors half the time (and have NO guns in the house like most people I know)

I guess it's all what you're used to or what makes you comfortable.

We live on a hill overlooking a beautiful cemetery that we can see in the winter when the leaves are off the trees. It never bothered me. I imagine some people wouldn't like that either, but all I can say to that is that we have very quiet neighbors he he he.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or