U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-18-2019, 05:35 PM

7,079 posts, read 3,886,100 times

Advertisements

I love the idea of a house by itself. The only thing that would keep me from it is it's only half an acre. There will be other houses there before long. When we bought our current house it was an acre, half forested with a few houses around and corn and bean fields for neighbors. Loved it. Then the fields sprouted houses instead of corn and I'm ready to move but my wife has spent so many years in this house she doesn't want to leave.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-18-2019, 05:45 PM

2,512 posts, read 3,196,450 times
My Ozarks home was 2 miles to the closest neighbor, we were at the end of the road, surrounded by government land....loved it. I worked on the road a lot, so I taught my spouse to shoot a 16 ga pump from the hip... only had to rack a shell one time.
That sound alone will deter all but the most determined.

Regards
Gemstone1

Old 09-18-2019, 05:46 PM

344 posts, read 79,062 times
That's a huge positive for me.

Old 09-18-2019, 05:59 PM

1,114 posts, read 861,620 times
I already live like that. -- been retired here for 16 years, lol

On 25 acres, on a 1+ lane road, that people have told me music from Deliverance should be playing as they start up the hill, lollollol

Nothing is further from the truth. There are 18 properties on this old farm road, some of them third generation farmers.

I was raised on a dairy farm waaaay off the state highway. We had big watch dogs. Dad had a gun or two. He taught me how use to them. I also have BIG watchdogs that live in the house.

That said, if this 25 acres was in a certain area of the other side of my county, someone else would be living on it. As another poster commented --- it depends where the property is located.

OP, if the property is only two miles from you, then you know the area and you know whether or not you want to set yourself up for success or failure by buying in what is already familiar territory to you

Old 09-18-2019, 06:04 PM

4,371 posts, read 1,883,877 times
I’m not sure it would appeal to me, only because I worked in an office surrounded by woods/unused land and it was a haven for homeless people setting up camp. For a while we saw mattresses set up, another area had discarded coolers, etc. The neighborhood itself was on the higher end, but with the lack of affordable housing nearby, people just set up in there. The point is, you can’t always tell based on the neighborhood what sort of issues you might have.

Old 09-18-2019, 09:19 PM

11,413 posts, read 8,668,107 times
Big dog. Compared to the half acre I lived on in the city of Memphis that sounds like paradise! But I never had trouble. Big dog.

Old 09-19-2019, 05:18 AM

10,356 posts, read 5,696,263 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Normashirley View Post
I already live like that. -- been retired here for 16 years, lol

On 25 acres, on a 1+ lane road, that people have told me music from Deliverance should be playing as they start up the hill, lollollol

Nothing is further from the truth. There are 18 properties on this old farm road, some of them third generation farmers.

I was raised on a dairy farm waaaay off the state highway. We had big watch dogs. Dad had a gun or two. He taught me how use to them. I also have BIG watchdogs that live in the house.

That said, if this 25 acres was in a certain area of the other side of my county, someone else would be living on it. As another poster commented --- it depends where the property is located.

OP, if the property is only two miles from you, then you know the area and you know whether or not you want to set yourself up for success or failure by buying in what is already familiar territory to you
That is sort of like me, one lane road, properties on either side, mostly hobby ranch size (10ish acres).

I often say that I am living the fantasy life as a Red Riding Hood witch, but your description reminds me of another fantasy, of the ex spy living in the Virginia mountains with a few white Bengals that a ruler gave him for services rendered.......until eco terrorists broke into his land, killed the tigers, and forced him back into the business (it's some book like that).

Fantasies, be it our own or those created by another, is another "reason" to have woods.
Quote:
Originally Posted by RamenAddict View Post
I’m not sure it would appeal to me, only because I worked in an office surrounded by woods/unused land and it was a haven for homeless people setting up camp. For a while we saw mattresses set up, another area had discarded coolers, etc. The neighborhood itself was on the higher end, but with the lack of affordable housing nearby, people just set up in there. The point is, you can’t always tell based on the neighborhood what sort of issues you might have.
Well, one of the things I do is let the land stay wild. There are patches of cactus everywhere, I don't put down poison for fire ants, and I am sure out past the house footprint, there is a nice collection of snakes that bite. Further, I have seen black widows.

Part of it comes from that I don't want to put poison down on my land. I use a professional service to keep things, like scorpions, out of the house and it does cost me a pretty penny, but I want their specialized stuff for certain things, not stuff that kills anything.

Part of it is that I want my ranch to be a preserve for wildlife, whether for Steward reasons or....living another fantasy.

And, of course, part of it is for defencive reasons.

But....on the other side of the coin, I have a heaping big insurance package just in case someone trespasses on my land, gets bitten by a rattlesnake, and tries to sue me about it.

It does go both ways.

Old 09-19-2019, 08:06 AM

1,072 posts, read 736,085 times
Sounds like a damn dream come to true to me. As others said vacant lots can be built. I am building on a vacant lot rite now. Neighbor behind me had complete privacy, ripped out all trees and will plant new. Now my house casts a shadow on there yard. Houses next to me are 1300 sq ft. I built a 3300 sq ft home. I assure you neighbors aren't happy. It's my land and I did what I wanted w/o violating zoning laws. This town the avg listing is 1m and 90% of houses are between 3k-8k sq ft. This one small section is the only area with small houses. Vacant lots are nice, you can't predict what will happen. A person around the corner told me, everyone always assumed that land was part of the existing house. It was until it was sub divided 11 years ago!

Old 09-19-2019, 08:07 AM

2,589 posts, read 1,320,527 times
It's such a personal question.

I don't mind having visible neighbors. But some people want to retire from social interaction and go nuts if they can see another living soul. OP if you are uncomfortable with the house why are you considering it? Only thing you can't change about a property is location....

Old 09-19-2019, 08:36 AM

11,037 posts, read 5,161,083 times
As a single woman, no I wouldn't want to buy a house there. Now, like someone already mentioned, if it backed up to a protected area maybe but I like knowing my neighbors and we watch each other's property. I have what is standard in my city, an 80x125 foot lot. If I was younger and married I would like to have more property, at least a acre or two but not anymore.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or