U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-20-2019, 07:08 AM

25 posts, read 5,031 times

Advertisements

I was just telling my work mates yesterday how a house in the mountains and total seclusion with a fresh food garden and farm animals is my dream... but to be honest Id need kids and a husband before id even think of doing that cause Im a major league ScardyCat, id be so spooked alone.

Its a nice idea but the reasons you mentioned and other reasons are abit frightening
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-20-2019, 07:46 AM

5,894 posts, read 4,315,834 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Destar Menen View Post
I was just telling my work mates yesterday how a house in the mountains and total seclusion with a fresh food garden and farm animals is my dream... but to be honest Id need kids and a husband before id even think of doing that cause Im a major league ScardyCat, id be so spooked alone.

Its a nice idea but the reasons you mentioned and other reasons are abit frightening
I live in a forested area, but not "totally secluded", so I'm fine. We have a very secluded cottage 1.5 miles from our nearest cottage neighbor on another lake and who is not always there.

I could never stay at our cottage alone either. I'd never go without hubby or someone else coming with me.

Old 09-20-2019, 08:32 AM

1,614 posts, read 600,123 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MTSilvertip View Post
My nearest neighbor is a mile and a half away. Nobody within 5 miles on the other three sides. It's 6 miles to a paved road, and only 3 houses in that 6 miles.
I have 160 acres, the 3 ranches that border me are all at least 3 square miles. I couldn't be happier. Nobody bothers me, nobody watching every move, nobody bellyaching if I sight in my rifle.
I have deer, elk and antelope for neighbors. The coyote pack serves as the local hoods. Nearest town of 2500 people is 40 miles away

I'm completely off grid with solar power, my own well and a live stream for water no power bill, no water or sewer bills, it's GREAT!!!

Would I buy a place with vacant land next door? I did and it's a dream come true.
This is the dream scenario for buying land in the country, but a property surrounded by trees could also be harboring poorly kept houses, local hoods, rusting cars and piles of junk. Due diligence in making sure that the vacant land won’t turn into a tract development is also a good idea.

Living with only animals for neighbors sounds good, but in the real world, a lot of woodlands is sure to mean atv’s roaring through, hunters, druggies, and the assorted lowlifes that every small town harbors. A way to get around that would be living next to private ranches as MTSlivertip mentioned. Good cell phone service along with good neighbors, makes woodlands living pretty safe, but it all depends on the area.

Last edited by Taz22; 09-20-2019 at 08:50 AM..

Old 09-22-2019, 07:09 AM

10,356 posts, read 5,696,263 times
One nice thing about being surrounded by a forest is that I don't worry about how much I am wearing when I step out on my back porch, when I am walking through the house.

Old 09-22-2019, 11:09 AM

3,475 posts, read 2,427,229 times
After 3 decades of annoying, trashy neighbors, we look forward to being away from neighbors. LOL But that's just us. The only concern about having some vacant land nearby is that you never know when someone is going to buy it and put something on it that you don't want to live next to. Or they might be your new annoying, trashy neighbors. All in all, I would talk land/woods over neighbors at this point in my life. YMMV

Old 09-22-2019, 12:33 PM

5,055 posts, read 7,744,270 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LoriNJ View Post
After 3 decades of annoying, trashy neighbors, we look forward to being away from neighbors. LOL But that's just us. The only concern about having some vacant land nearby is that you never know when someone is going to buy it and put something on it that you don't want to live next to. Or they might be your new annoying, trashy neighbors. All in all, I would talk land/woods over neighbors at this point in my life. YMMV
There are plenty of annoying and trashy neighbors that live in the country and woods. They might be a bit farther away from you but they can amp up their annoyance and trashiness level that sometimes it will overcome that distance.

Give me a compact lot in an area completely developed so you know what you getting into with city zoning and ordinances and great neighbors that follow the rules or have consequences if they don’t.

Old Today, 08:40 PM

266 posts, read 215,125 times
Even though it's a few miles away, I don't really know much about that area. I do know it's zoned residential only, but I wouldn't expect homes to pop up there anytime soon. What I've heard is it was a planned subdivision in the 70s that didn't happen other than a few homes built more recently.

What makes the house itself attractive is even though the inside needs quite a lot of work, the "basics": roof, central air system and water heater are all new. And the house being built in the 1990s is not particularly old.

It definitely needs a lot of work inside (paint, flooring, possibly new cabinets due to some drawers and doors missing, etc). So it's definitely not anywhere move in ready. But I would have time to fix up the interior, slowly. Doing a good deep clean and painting doesn't cost that much. Things like kitchens and bathrooms do though.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or