Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-08-2020, 11:23 AM

31 posts, read 24,877 times

Advertisements

I signed a broker-buyer agreement with a buyer's agent. I also got per-approval from a bank on the loan.

Last month, I found a house I really liked, after a tour asked the broker to put in a bid. Although the house was on the market for many months, somehow another person bid at the same time and got the house instead of me. The agent could give me no details about what happened. I was suspicious that maybe he didn't put in my bid as he was trying to steer me towards some deals where he was the both buyer and seller's agent.

Now, I've found a second home and asked the agent to put in a bid. The process is different though, as now there is a "purchase agreement" for me to sign, listing details about the offer and home, down payment, etc. I do not see anything suspicious about being asked to sign this document, but am concerned I never saw or was asked to sign this document for the first house and suspicious that he never actually put in our bid. Should there have been such a document for the bid on the first home?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-08-2020, 11:29 AM

14,483 posts, read 12,114,400 times
The exact contents of the offer vary widely by region... so without knowing where you are, I don't know what should be included... but you're right, they will be roughly the same for all offers.

And I think you're right that if you didn't sign anything before, you didn't really make an offer before.

Our offers are the whole contract, including terms, contingencies, dates, and must be signed by you went sent, and by the seller when accepted.

Old 01-08-2020, 11:36 AM

In your offer, is the offer only signed by both the buyer and seller after its accepted? Is there something the buyer should sign when placing the offer to buy?

Old 01-08-2020, 12:01 PM

14,483 posts, read 12,114,400 times
In our contracts, buyer signs the Purchase and Sale agreement when sent, yes.

If/when the seller signs, that's when it's accepted.

Old 01-08-2020, 06:20 PM

15,577 posts, read 40,434,848 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hop-frog View Post

In your offer, is the offer only signed by both the buyer and seller after its accepted? Is there something the buyer should sign when placing the offer to buy?
Yes, you need to sign something when making an offer to buy. Verbal offers are not enforceable in court so all offers and subsequent contracts have to be in writing and signed by both parties.

Old 01-08-2020, 07:01 PM

3,444 posts, read 2,819,181 times
It might not have been handled properly, there's no way to really know. I suspect that your agent called the listing agent to say an offer was forthcoming and was informed that an offer had already been accepted, so no written offer was done. Sounds like your agent could have communicated things better to you.

Old 01-08-2020, 07:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by goldenlove View Post
It might not have been handled properly, there's no way to really know. I suspect that your agent called the listing agent to say an offer was forthcoming and was informed that an offer had already been accepted, so no written offer was done. Sounds like your agent could have communicated things better to you.
If it the case, would the agent tell me the problem? He instead told me I'd know in a week or two if my offer was accepted.

Last edited by Hop-frog; 01-08-2020 at 07:32 PM..

Old 01-08-2020, 07:48 PM

8,620 posts, read 5,652,717 times
Ask your agent for a copy of the purchase agreement for the first house (for your records).

That ought to bring anything out of the woodwork.

And the agent should have some response as to what happened.

Old 01-08-2020, 08:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nobodysbusiness View Post
Ask your agent for a copy of the purchase agreement for the first house (for your records).
Is there a possibility he could have just filled the purchase agreement out and sent it without needing us to sign it? Is that standard practice?

Old 01-08-2020, 08:05 PM

8,620 posts, read 5,652,717 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hop-frog View Post
Is there a possibility he could have just filled the purchase agreement out and sent it without needing us to sign it? Is that standard practice?
No, I would not believe that would be "standard practice," but I am in California, so can't say. It would make no sense to me, though.

Now that you have seen a purchase agreement, you can see what is necessary for a sale.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate