Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-17-2019, 04:37 PM

496 posts, read 440,810 times

Advertisements

There's a house that's come for sale a couple of miles from where I live now. On half an acre, inside needs a lot of work but brand new roof, central heat/air and water heater, built in 1990s. Surrounding the house is all woods and vacant land. There are a few houses next street over but none nearby on same street.

I realize some might like this idea because no neighbors might be less problems. But I also find it a bit spooky to have nobody around to have an eye on your property in case there's a fire or someone decides to break in. Also the fact there's nobody around to watch, makes it seem like more of an invitation for thieves when you're away. Or wouldn't it be spooky at night to be the only house on a road?

Then there's the fact the road probably doesn't get much traffic, so could possibly attract ATV riders or people wanting to have parties on the weekends.

I've noticed other houses are like this, often the newer homes in the back of subdivisions, where the only vacant land available to build on is at the outskirts.

What do you think about this? Positive or negative?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-17-2019, 04:38 PM

4,985 posts, read 3,918,856 times
yes.

Old 09-17-2019, 05:00 PM

3,576 posts, read 2,168,025 times
I would not want to live there, for all the reasons you stated. I want neighbors so if I scream someone will call 911 or check on me.

Old 09-17-2019, 05:02 PM

9,863 posts, read 13,997,770 times
My only hesitation is that I only own 1/2 acre and not the remaining land. What if someone decided to build a huge eyesore right next to your hours? What is the zoning? Is commercial allowed? Not knowing what will happen with those other acres would be a turn off to me. 1/2 acre is not enough to protect my views/ privacy/ seclusion.

Old 09-17-2019, 05:03 PM

7,287 posts, read 6,863,924 times
It might depend on the neighborhood and the attitude of the local police department.
They would know it there is a history.

Old 09-17-2019, 05:08 PM

3,805 posts, read 9,285,683 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whatsgoingon4 View Post
There's a house that's come for sale a couple of miles from where I live now. On half an acre, inside needs a lot of work but brand new roof, central heat/air and water heater, built in 1990s. Surrounding the house is all woods and vacant land. There are a few houses next street over but none nearby on same street.

I realize some might like this idea because no neighbors might be less problems. But I also find it a bit spooky to have nobody around to have an eye on your property in case there's a fire or someone decides to break in. Also the fact there's nobody around to watch, makes it seem like more of an invitation for thieves when you're away. Or wouldn't it be spooky at night to be the only house on a road?

Then there's the fact the road probably doesn't get much traffic, so could possibly attract ATV riders or people wanting to have parties on the weekends.

I've noticed other houses are like this, often the newer homes in the back of subdivisions, where the only vacant land available to build on is at the outskirts.

Where is it?

Old 09-17-2019, 05:56 PM

3,603 posts, read 7,858,236 times
Thoughts

Just because it's isolated now doesn't mean there won't be houses (or worse) in a few years.

There are some particular hazards near the woods (wildfire, tick-borne diseases,...)

The Amurrican way to feel secure is to buy lots of guns. Then the only hazard is yourself.

Old 09-17-2019, 06:16 PM

18,929 posts, read 43,261,108 times
I would not buy a house with neighbors any closer than 150 feet. So yes, a wooded area would be a plus for me, but unless you also buy the wooded lot there’s no guarantee it’ll stay that way.

Old 09-17-2019, 06:19 PM

22,899 posts, read 18,183,801 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whatsgoingon4 View Post

I always check on the zoning and whatever I can find about the ownership of the surrounding parcels and what their plans for the parcels might be. What it might be like now could be bulldozed in 6 months. I walk them if I can (ask permission if I can locate property owners), to see what sorts of dumping, garbage, ATV/dirt bike trails, signs of bonfires, target shooting, camps, etc. Gives an idea what to expect from other people. I wouldn't want to end up next to the local drunken party spot.

As for your question: Would I buy a house like this?

Yes, whenever they are available and the area around it isn't trashed, polluted, or vandalized. I'm not afraid of illegal activities nearby and can protect my own place. You'll come on my property uninvited at your own risk. No, I don't have guns. There are other ways to protect yourself.

Old 09-17-2019, 07:40 PM

7,215 posts, read 6,989,546 times
Where it is is an important factor.

I grew up on forty acres of woods in CT and never felt unsafe. I would love to have that house and land today.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate