U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old Today, 08:28 AM
 
Location: Tennessee
24,448 posts, read 18,196,063 times
Reputation: 28724

Advertisements

I have never understood the appeal of the standard fiberglass tub beyond cost or washing an animal/object in the tub.

They generally do not make good showers and they certainly don't make good tubs. The tubs tend to be way too small for the average person, especially a man, to comfortable use. My condo has two tubs. I planning on ripping out that master tub and going for a shower at some point.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old Today, 08:31 AM
 
66 posts, read 14,893 times
Reputation: 86
Quote:
Originally Posted by goldenage1 View Post
I sometimes need a good soak in order to relieve arthritis.

I personally do not like baths, and consider them an outdated, disgusting mode of self-cleansing. However, I never thought about it from this perspective.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old Today, 09:50 AM
 
7,886 posts, read 4,485,963 times
Reputation: 10171
Quote:
Originally Posted by iSudo View Post
I personally do not like baths, and consider them an outdated, disgusting mode of self-cleansing. However, I never thought about it from this perspective.
I often take a shower before or after a bath. Soaking in a jetted tub is great for sore muscles, joints, etc as well as just stress relief.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old Today, 09:52 AM
 
12,072 posts, read 20,629,571 times
Reputation: 19698
Quote:
Originally Posted by iSudo View Post
I personally do not like baths, and consider them an outdated, disgusting mode of self-cleansing. However, I never thought about it from this perspective.
Itís also really good to have a good soak for exfoliation. My skin is softer and smoother after a soak. But a shower is far more practical. And a larger shower, curbless is perfect for aging in place.
__________________
Solly says ó Be nice!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old Today, 10:31 AM
 
66 posts, read 14,893 times
Reputation: 86
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallysmom View Post
Itís also really good to have a good soak for exfoliation. My skin is softer and smoother after a soak. But a shower is far more practical. And a larger shower, curbless is perfect for aging in place.
My apologies. What I meant by my comment was not to put others down who bathe in a tub. On the contrary, I've never put much thought into practical health reasons why people may prefer bathing. Arthritis is one example, stress relief is another. While I don't typically take baths, I understand the appeal of a tub from some of these comments.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old Today, 11:13 AM
 
10,209 posts, read 4,782,581 times
Reputation: 13347
Quote:
Originally Posted by iSudo View Post
My apologies. What I meant by my comment was not to put others down who bathe in a tub. On the contrary, I've never put much thought into practical health reasons why people may prefer bathing. Arthritis is one example, stress relief is another. While I don't typically take baths, I understand the appeal of a tub from some of these comments.

Sure. But the OP's complaint wasn't that houses weren't available with a tub but that there wasn't a tub in the master bath. Using a tub in another bath is not good enough. And while everyone is entitled to their preferences and to look for the house with the amenities they prefer, you can't expect builders to put tubs in all baths to please the small minority who still frequently use tubs. The builders are responding to what the customer is looking for. I don't have data but my bet is the percentage of people taking baths versus showers was much higher 50 years ago.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old Today, 11:21 AM
 
66 posts, read 14,893 times
Reputation: 86
Quote:
Originally Posted by oceangaia View Post
The builders are responding to what the customer is looking for. I don't have data but my bet is the percentage of people taking baths versus showers was much higher 50 years ago.
I agree.

I think it's one of those standards that have been in place since a time when taking a bath in a steel tub was the only feasible option. I think the trend is towards showers these days. However, I just never thought about baths (as in tubs) being used as a form of therapy. And that makes sense as well.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old Today, 11:22 AM
 
Location: Columbia SC
9,291 posts, read 8,032,176 times
Reputation: 12909
The only time my wife and were both happy was when the master bath had a garden tub for her and a large shower for me plus a separate toilet room. In my present home, I gave into her as we could only have one or the other. The first thing I had done after her death was rip out the garden tub and put in a large, walking shower to the tune of $5.5K. I am now a happy camper.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old Today, 12:22 PM
 
Location: Boise, ID
508 posts, read 390,160 times
Reputation: 1036
I only need one tub in a house and don't care where it is. The only reason I need a tub is to bathe the dog. Current house has 2 tubs and the one in the master has never been used in the 5 years we have lived here.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old Today, 12:50 PM
 
2,584 posts, read 1,313,013 times
Reputation: 5551
Quote:
Originally Posted by johngolf View Post
The only time my wife and were both happy was when the master bath had a garden tub for her and a large shower for me plus a separate toilet room. In my present home, I gave into her as we could only have one or the other. The first thing I had done after her death was rip out the garden tub and put in a large, walking shower to the tune of $5.5K. I am now a happy camper.
The FIRST thing you did after she died was to destroy her beloved bathtub? Some serious issues here. Cold cold cold.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply

Quick Reply
Message:


Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top