U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old Today, 12:59 PM

2,589 posts, read 1,313,013 times

Advertisements

https://www.housebeautiful.com/home-...tub-vs-shower/

People still want tubs.

Showers are not relaxing. I love a good sauna where I can sit and sweat but a showers like a punishment. Prisoners don't get baths. They are forced to take showers. Locker rooms have showers. A bath is a pleasant relaxing experience. A soak is excellent for skin, sore muscles and just time to yourself.

It doesn't hurt that my mate is half Japanese and grew up with a mom who was obsessed with a good tub. He rarely takes a shower and will only do so if he's in a huge hurry.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old Today, 01:07 PM

1,002 posts, read 266,014 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by emotiioo View Post

People still want tubs.

Showers are not relaxing. I love a good sauna where I can sit and sweat but a showers like a punishment. Prisoners don't get baths. They are forced to take showers. Locker rooms have showers. A bath is a pleasant relaxing experience. A soak is excellent for skin, sore muscles and just time to yourself.

It doesn't hurt that my mate is half Japanese and grew up with a mom who was obsessed with a good tub. He rarely takes a shower and will only do so if he's in a huge hurry.
Or....you're lounging in a vat of dirty water.

Meh. To each their own.

Old Today, 01:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by djsuperfly View Post
Or....you're lounging in a vat of dirty water.

Meh. To each their own.
I'm not sure about you but if and when my water was ever "dirty" my soaker has this thing called a "drain" that lets the water out. And I'm also not sure if you realize there's a billion dollar industry devoted to luxury soaps, salts and bath scrubs that help to deep clean the skin and care for it. But maybe it's just that whole locker room hose blast action that's appealing with showers that keep people engaged.

Old Today, 01:31 PM

21,565 posts, read 12,198,723 times
Quote:
The FIRST thing you did after she died was to destroy her beloved bathtub? Some serious issues here. Cold cold cold.
wow, that may be the rudest thing I've ever seen you post, and that's saying something.

We get it, you like baths. But the reality is that most people don't, but they enjoy a luxurious shower. To suggest that someone is unfeeling because he let his wife have what she preferred but then changed it to his preference after she died is beyond ridiculous.

Old Today, 01:31 PM

1,657 posts, read 1,091,824 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Serious Conversation View Post
I have never understood the appeal of the standard fiberglass tub beyond cost or washing an animal/object in the tub.

They generally do not make good showers and they certainly don't make good tubs. The tubs tend to be way too small for the average person, especially a man, to comfortable use. My condo has two tubs. I planning on ripping out that master tub and going for a shower at some point.
I don't even use the tub for the dog. If she needs to be washed, I just pull her into the shower with me. I find it much easier and I am already wet, so no big deal and I don't have to drag a 75# struggling dog over the tub side. Leaning over a tub trying to bathe a dog while trying not to get soaked is a lot harder, IMO.

Old Today, 01:34 PM

10,210 posts, read 4,782,581 times
Quote:
I'm not sure about you but if and when my water was ever "dirty" my soaker has this thing called a "drain" that lets the water out.

And leaves behind a film of dirt thus the need to scrub the tub periodically.

Old Today, 01:35 PM

1,002 posts, read 266,014 times
Quote:
I'm not sure about you but if and when my water was ever "dirty" my soaker has this thing called a "drain" that lets the water out. And I'm also not sure if you realize there's a billion dollar industry devoted to luxury soaps, salts and bath scrubs that help to deep clean the skin and care for it. But maybe it's just that whole locker room hose blast action that's appealing with showers that keep people engaged.
Or...maybe it's just me and I said "to each their own," despite your post completely disparaging shower takers.

It's cool, but your truth is your truth and not truth for all.

Old Today, 01:43 PM

1,657 posts, read 1,091,824 times
Quote:

People still want tubs.

I find a good shower very relaxing.

Old Today, 01:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by emm74 View Post
wow, that may be the rudest thing I've ever seen you post, and that's saying something.

We get it, you like baths. But the reality is that most people don't, but they enjoy a luxurious shower. To suggest that someone is unfeeling because he let his wife have what she preferred but then changed it to his preference after she died is beyond ridiculous.
I'm sorry but if I died and the first thing my spouse did was destroy the bathtub that was a must have during my life I would hope that he was called out. He's a "happy camper" now with his big shower remodel (and dollar amount was quoted so we can all be impressed)? That is one of the worst most unfeeling posts I have seen on this board. It was offensive. Clearly he resented not having his special shower as that was the "first" thing he had done. That post reads as "I compromised because my wife just HAD to have something. Sigh. But she's dead so I couldn't wait to spend money on what I wanted all along! I'm so happy! She's gone and I can do what I want!"

When we lost a child you better believe we didn't go around crowing about how we were going to remodel behind her, or spend money on travel because we were suddenly no longer parents. We didn't start tallying up all the sacrifices and compromises we didn't have to make anymore or how much money/time we were going to spend on "adult" things we couldn't have before. So again I say that post was offensive and there are obviously some issues there.

Last edited by emotiioo; Today at 02:09 PM..

Old Today, 01:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by djsuperfly View Post
Or...maybe it's just me and I said "to each their own," despite your post completely disparaging shower takers.

It's cool, but your truth is your truth and not truth for all.
It's not a truth that baths are "dirty" as you stated even with a disclaimer. It's also not a truth that everyone takes a shower and baths are obselete. It is true that showers are the preferred bathing methods of prisons....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or