U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old Yesterday, 06:27 PM
 
Location: Denver CO
21,566 posts, read 12,204,357 times
Reputation: 32979

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarnivalGal View Post
I don't understand why so many people think it's an either/or thing. Like either you can have a large, walk-in shower OR a tub. I have both - a large jetted tub and a large walk in shower. I also have 2 sinks and a large linen closet. All in my master. And I'm pretty sure I'm not the only one. I don't live in a luxury home or anything. But we do have a really big kitchen and really big master bath. It's one of the reasons we bought this house.
I'm curious how large your house actually is? Mine is 1800 sq ft, and it's enough room but the reality is that the bathrooms are not that big. Based on space, my options were a bathroom with a shower/tub combo, a bathroom with a large soaking tub but a very small stall shower and no linen closet, or a one with a large-ish shower (the same size that the tub/shower combo would have been which makes for a much larger shower given all the space the tub itself takes up) and a generously sized linen closet. And of course there is a tub in the house, in the hall bathroom so it's not like there isn't one at all.

While I recognize that there are some theoretical buyers down the road who will exclude my house because there is no tub in the master bath, there was no chance in hell that I was going to with the preferences of this theoretical buyer instead of my own, and I put in what I wanted and have been enjoying for the 5 years so far, with another decade or more anticipated. I think in reality, it will actually have minimal impact on resale because most people are quite happy with a luxurious shower and no tub. And those who aren't will need to choose from the houses where the original owner made a different choice than I did given the options that were possible with the space and the builder I used.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old Yesterday, 06:32 PM
 
1,002 posts, read 267,067 times
Reputation: 2255
Quote:
Originally Posted by emotiioo View Post
It's not a truth that baths are "dirty" as you stated even with a disclaimer. It's also not a truth that everyone takes a shower and baths are obselete. It is true that showers are the preferred bathing methods of prisons....
"You" may not believe that baths are "dirty." I, for one, do. I know that I'm probably wrong, and it's all in my head...but that's how I feel about it. Just as your "truth" is that "baths are awsome; showers suck." But just because it's "right" for you doesn't necessarily make it "right" in an objective sense, especially since the vast majority disagree with you.

The point is: You're not just casually saying, "This is what I prefer." You're being pretty disparaging of people who disagree with you even though there is no objectively "right" answer to this.

Since that's how you want to be, I take back the "to each their own." Tubs suck
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old Yesterday, 06:52 PM
 
Location: Knoxville, TN
1,713 posts, read 697,953 times
Reputation: 2161
Quote:
Originally Posted by djsuperfly View Post
"You" may not believe that baths are "dirty." I, for one, do. I know that I'm probably wrong, and it's all in my head...but that's how I feel about it. Just as your "truth" is that "baths are awsome; showers suck." But just because it's "right" for you doesn't necessarily make it "right" in an objective sense, especially since the vast majority disagree with you.

The point is: You're not just casually saying, "This is what I prefer." You're being pretty disparaging of people who disagree with you even though there is no objectively "right" answer to this.

Since that's how you want to be, I take back the "to each their own." Tubs suck
Lol, even a jacuzzi tub with a bunch of jets? I don't mean builder grade cheap.

We have one and I hardly ever use it but I would never trade it for anything.

I'll never have to buy a hot tub for outside.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old Yesterday, 07:11 PM
 
2,589 posts, read 1,315,031 times
Reputation: 5556
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mister 7 View Post
Lol, even a jacuzzi tub with a bunch of jets? I don't mean builder grade cheap.

We have one and I hardly ever use it but I would never trade it for anything.

I'll never have to buy a hot tub for outside.
These shower only people really do not understand the joys of a good soak. And they take away the choice from those if us who do.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old Yesterday, 07:14 PM
 
2,589 posts, read 1,315,031 times
Reputation: 5556
Quote:
Originally Posted by djsuperfly View Post
"You" may not believe that baths are "dirty." I, for one, do. I know that I'm probably wrong, and it's all in my head...but that's how I feel about it. Just as your "truth" is that "baths are awsome; showers suck." But just because it's "right" for you doesn't necessarily make it "right" in an objective sense, especially since the vast majority disagree with you.

The point is: You're not just casually saying, "This is what I prefer." You're being pretty disparaging of people who disagree with you even though there is no objectively "right" answer to this.

Since that's how you want to be, I take back the "to each their own." Tubs suck
Baths and bathing are synonyms for cleaning.....not dirtying.

If you are so covered with filth on a regular basis that you require a hose down, sure a shower makes sense. But I personally don't have that issue.

Showers are for those in a hurry with very little inclination to relax, reflect or contemplate. They are uncivilized.

I count no one in my circle of close friends who does not enjoy and own a bathtub which they use often. I abhor this shower only trend. It's really one of those line in the sand issues for me. I can't get along with people who don't understand why baths are superior. They just do not get life. And they are encouraging cheap builders to ignore a long standing bathroom norm in favor of a trend. I still have a shower in my master bath even though I don't use it. Because this house won't always belong to me. Don't take away a pleasure from someone else in your "not forever " home. It's short sighted.

Last edited by emotiioo; Yesterday at 07:40 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old Yesterday, 07:15 PM
 
Location: Knoxville, TN
1,713 posts, read 697,953 times
Reputation: 2161
Quote:
Originally Posted by emotiioo View Post
These shower only people really do not understand the joys of a good soak. And they take away the choice from those if us who do.
I mean, I don't care, but yeah I don't get it either. I don't think I'll ever have to go without a tub, but yes, a jacuzzi for our house was an essential. I went without other things I wanted (wood burning fireplace instead of gas log BS) to have my jacuzzi tub.

My father just bought a $10,000 outdoor hot tub....the thing is ridiculous...crazy....but I feel the exact same way (soothed, relaxed, massaged) when I get out of my bathtub. A jacuzzi tub is virtually maintenance free. Outdoor hot tub? Not so much.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old Yesterday, 07:21 PM
 
1,002 posts, read 267,067 times
Reputation: 2255
Quote:
Originally Posted by emotiioo View Post
Baths and bathing are synonyms for cleaning.....not dirtying.

If you are so covered with filth on a regular basis that you require a hose down, sure a shower makes sense. But I personally don't have that issue.

Showers are for those in a hurry with very little inclination to relax, reflect or contemplate. They are uncivilized.

I count no one in my circle of close friends who dies not enjoy and own a bathtub which they use often. I abhor this showed only trend. It's really one if those line in the sand issues for me. I can't get along with people who don't understand why baths are superior. They just do not get life.
I've made several posts that have to deal with the passive-aggressiveness and condescension of your posts.

But, please keep talking about dirty baths
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old Yesterday, 07:36 PM
 
12,073 posts, read 20,632,712 times
Reputation: 19698
Quote:
Originally Posted by emotiioo View Post
The FIRST thing you did after she died was to destroy her beloved bathtub? Some serious issues here. Cold cold cold.
Not at all. You have no idea what memories that bathtub may hold. They may be something completely negative and every time he looks at it itís anguish. You should never make those kind of value judgments ó you donít know, you werenít there.

Sorry if this comes off a little harsh but Iím experiencing a very fresh ďbeen there, done thatĒ in my life. The best thing I did was get rid of my husbandís chair, not cold decision at all, I needed it to go for my mental health.
__________________
Solly says ó Be nice!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old Yesterday, 07:40 PM
 
Location: Asheville, NC
11,918 posts, read 27,097,599 times
Reputation: 4625
Quote:
Originally Posted by goldenage1 View Post
There seems to be a trend to eliminate the option of a tub in the master bath in favor of a large luxury shower. This is true in Active Adult communities as well as all-ages communities.

As an older person, I am distressed by the lack of a bathtub in the master. I sometimes need a good soak in order to relieve arthritis. I also like to hand-wash sweaters and lingerie in the bath tub.

Yes, I know I could usually do those things in the guest bath, but I am distressed that major mid-range builders are no longer offering choices in the master bath.
I prefer a tub to soak in as well. A luxury shower would not be my choice.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old Yesterday, 07:41 PM
 
2,589 posts, read 1,315,031 times
Reputation: 5556
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallysmom View Post
Not at all. You have no idea what memories that bathtub may hold. They may be something completely negative and every time he looks at it itís anguish. You should never make those kind of value judgments ó you donít know, you werenít there.

Sorry if this comes off a little harsh but Iím experiencing a very fresh ďbeen there, done thatĒ in my life. The best thing I did was get rid of my husbandís chair, not cold decision at all, I needed it to go for my mental health.
I'm sorry for your loss. But I stand by my reaction. That post read as exceedingly cold hearted IMHO.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top