U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old Yesterday, 11:02 AM

11,353 posts, read 20,094,653 times

Advertisements

There seems to be a trend to eliminate the option of a tub in the master bath in favor of a large luxury shower. This is true in Active Adult communities as well as all-ages communities.

As an older person, I am distressed by the lack of a bathtub in the master. I sometimes need a good soak in order to relieve arthritis. I also like to hand-wash sweaters and lingerie in the bath tub.

Yes, I know I could usually do those things in the guest bath, but I am distressed that major mid-range builders are no longer offering choices in the master bath.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old Yesterday, 11:52 AM

2,661 posts, read 5,406,234 times
1. Buy an older house.

2. Find a real custom builder.

3. Keep looking. Few trends are universal.

My master bath has both a large shower and a tub.

Old Yesterday, 12:01 PM

9,557 posts, read 8,151,878 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by goldenage1 View Post
There seems to be a trend to eliminate the option of a tub in the master bath in favor of a large luxury shower. This is true in Active Adult communities as well as all-ages communities.

As an older person, I am distressed by the lack of a bathtub in the master. I sometimes need a good soak in order to relieve arthritis. I also like to hand-wash sweaters and lingerie in the bath tub.

Yes, I know I could usually do those things in the guest bath, but I am distressed that major mid-range builders are no longer offering choices in the master bath.
It all depends on the size of the bathroom, I would think.

I haven't seen any new builds that didn't incorporate a shower and a tub if there was enough room for both.

Our John Wieland house in Pineville, NC had both - a large shower and a soaking tub.

Old Yesterday, 01:10 PM

7,858 posts, read 3,321,884 times
Quote:

The last two houses I owned had two full baths. One or both had tubs. Most baths in houses here aren't large enough for separate tubs/showers. I don't take baths as standard tubs aren't long enough for me to really submerge and they use a heck of a lot more heated water. I prefer a shower in the master as that's what I use most and there's a lower step in height (knees are shot). A tub in the other bath is fine, primarily for soaking/washing large things, for a guest or for resale. If possible, I usually install a utility sink in the garage or laundry room for hand washing clothing. Saves crouching over a tub and there isn't a sopping wet jungle draped over it while drying.

Old Yesterday, 01:16 PM

29,119 posts, read 63,309,531 times
Quote:
There seems to be a trend to eliminate the option of a tub in the master bath
in favor of a large luxury shower.
With a tub in the hall bathroom 20 feet away... most are fine with that.

Quote:
As an older person, I am distressed by the lack of a bathtub in the master.
As for the older persons I've known... a shower was easier to manage.

Old Yesterday, 01:27 PM

2,576 posts, read 1,313,013 times
I agree op. I'm not an older person but I'm really annoyed by shower only masters and see them often. We only buy old/historic housing stock and you would be saddened by the number of people who replace cast iron clawfoot or Deco period deep bathtubs with some ridiculous shower only contraption complete with awful striped tile accents. Shudder.

I feel like all trends this pendulum will swing backward. Baths will again become the thing to have. But until then I feel your pain. A shower only master is a total deal breaker for me unless I plan to do extensive renovations on the house anyway.

Old Yesterday, 01:52 PM

5,504 posts, read 6,782,332 times
I have a big jetted tub in my master bathroom, and I love it. I use it a lot. A house without one would be a deal-breaker for me. And the small tubs in secondary bathrooms don't cut it.

Old Yesterday, 02:47 PM

7,320 posts, read 2,643,140 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by emotiioo View Post
I agree op. I'm not an older person but I'm really annoyed by shower only masters and see them often. We only buy old/historic housing stock and you would be saddened by the number of people who replace cast iron clawfoot or Deco period deep bathtubs with some ridiculous shower only contraption complete with awful striped tile accents. Shudder.

I feel like all trends this pendulum will swing backward. Baths will again become the thing to have. But until then I feel your pain. A shower only master is a total deal breaker for me unless I plan to do extensive renovations on the house anyway.
On the HGTV flip shows, they're always building walk-in showers, and I always think "I just want a tub/shower combo." LOL Granted, I rarely take baths, but heck, when you're sick with the flu and can't get warm, a nice hot bath is the bomb. LOL

Old Yesterday, 02:47 PM

21,560 posts, read 12,198,723 times
I am not sure what "mid range builders" mean - I built new 5 years ago and my builder was one of the least expensive builders for my area, a large planned urban community on the site of the former airport, so there were about a dozen different builders developing various parcels all over the community.

I had the choice of a standard bath with a tub/shower combo, an upgraded bath with a large walk in shower and no tub, or an upgraded bath with a large soaker tub but a very small walk in shower and no linen closet. I went with the middle option and love my luxurious shower. I never take baths, and this was exactly what I wanted. As someone else mentioned from the opposite side, not having a large walk in shower is a deal breaker for me, and I would not buy a house with a tub/shower combo in the master or a small walk in shower, unless I were already planning on doing a complete reno on the bathroom to get it to be what I wanted.

You may be looking at new construction yourself and finding builders in your area are not offering choices, but if you are looking at resale, it's possible that the builders did offer the choice and the original owners just made a different choice than you would have.

Old Yesterday, 02:59 PM

10,203 posts, read 4,782,581 times
Quote:

Then buy a house with a tub. Most people seldom if ever use the tub so it's rather silly to have one in every house.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or