U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-23-2019, 04:26 PM

1,550 posts, read 708,655 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by volfan4life87 View Post
Wow did I count that correctly, 6 pending sales (6th being successful)? That indeed must've been hell.
It got to the point where their listing said "will entertain all reasonable offers." I am not sure what the problem was. Their fence looked like it needed to be replaced (as did mine when I bought here), but it is a nice house and the price was in range for the neighborhood. That is a roller coaster no one wants to ride.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-23-2019, 05:21 PM

15,003 posts, read 8,798,453 times
OP, I'm in TX, so I can only give you a Texan's perspective, but if I can recall correctly, Tennessee real estate is pretty reasonably priced like ours is. Anyway, I wouldn't buy your home because all the bedrooms are upstairs. The master down is a lot better if you buy a two story. So that's a major strike against you. Also, that dark paint in the bedrooms is kind of ugh, but that's just personal observation. Fencing the backyard might be worth it. Any dog owner or concerned parent of small kids might see the unfenced yard as a negative.

Don't assume people are turned away because of new construction. A lot of people don't like new homes, which may not be built as well as older homes. Your home looks beautiful. I think it may come down to dropping the price a small amount. Oh, and the RE agent should write a better description. That one is not detailed enough. Your home has a lot to offer. I don't think the bathrooms are dated personally. And no open floor plan? Turn that into a positive, because it is one. Closed floor plan homes are quieter than open floor plans. I much prefer them. The sound doesn't carry. Hope that helped!

Old 09-23-2019, 05:37 PM

4,925 posts, read 2,677,182 times
Quote:
I've done the math and this is definitely something I'd consider, but it's hard for her to believe I'll follow through unless it is court ordered. I'd like to avoid that at this stage.
Well, you know, you have the option of selling your portion of the house (whatever the two of you decide) to your wife. You can draw up a quitclaim (or whatever is appropriate in Tennessee) and the two of you would go to a title company (or however it is done in Tennessee) to transfer title and monies, i.e. she would have to give you a check for your portion of the proceeds. Then the document gets recorded and you are off the hook.

Keep in mind that you will probably net less this way, since it means all the future risk is hers.

This might be attractive for her if she is at all interested in living in the house, at least temporarily, and maybe even if she isn't.

Old 09-23-2019, 05:39 PM

44,815 posts, read 43,292,845 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ted Bear View Post

You have so far seen the looky-lookers. None of them are real buyers.

Be patient. It will take six months to see a real buyer, and they likely will vaporize for one reason or another. Up to a year you might go to contract with another buyer, and that might close. At 18 months you will likely have done a deal. That is the life of these things.

You cannot make things happen. Your presentation is good. Your price is proper, and now you just play the time game.
This ^^ is not how things work here in Middle TN. Looky-loos don't schedule showings, and homes typically go under contract within about 30 days if they are priced correctly.

Old 09-23-2019, 05:41 PM

119 posts, read 136,644 times
Based on your neighborhoods sales and prices and comps I'd be priced at 299k and I'd guess you'd be under contract in 6 0days. It's hard looking at comps over the summer and trying to use them in the fall. The market is already slowing in many areas. Overall the listing looks decent though.

Old 09-24-2019, 02:10 AM

7,377 posts, read 4,077,042 times
Quote:
More than likely she would, shes afraid of giving up negotiating room. I'm afraid we're not even getting offers which means we're far above where we need to be priced *if* we want to sell quickly. I do feel if we sat around long enough or put it back on the market at the opportune time of year, we could get what we're asking or close. But I don't wanna be around that long..
Has the market in Murfreesboro been sufficiently robust to support appreciation of over twenty percent in the five years since you've owned the house or are you overextended on the property and trying to get more out of it than it's worth? Certainly the carpet, which many don't want, and minimal flooring upgrades cannot justify your asking price of sixty thousand more than you paid. Even if those improvements were brand new the return on that expense would be minimal.

Old 09-24-2019, 04:31 AM

10,715 posts, read 12,238,793 times
The kitchen is too dark. I don't see a window. I don't like the shape of a galley kitchen. The color theme is bland. Nothing jumps out at you. I do love the window visible from the stairway. I happen to like your bathrooms, old school with the long vanities.

Old 09-24-2019, 07:05 AM

1,025 posts, read 276,099 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scooby Snacks View Post
Don't assume people are turned away because of new construction. A lot of people don't like new homes, which may not be built as well as older homes.
When talking about better build quality for "older" homes, though, we're generally going to be looking at homes built long before 2005. I mean that was pretty much the height of the bubble. At least in my area, every builder was just throwing up anything they could on any available piece of land.

And that's one of the problems. For me a house built around 2005 puts it in the sweet spot of badness. It's new enough to be competing directly with new construction, but old enough that major systems like roofing and HVAC would need to be addressed sooner rather than later, never mind all the other smaller items that may begin to wear.

Old 09-24-2019, 07:26 AM

831 posts, read 498,567 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by djsuperfly View Post
When talking about better build quality for "older" homes, though, we're generally going to be looking at homes built long before 2005. I mean that was pretty much the height of the bubble. At least in my area, every builder was just throwing up anything they could on any available piece of land.

And that's one of the problems. For me a house built around 2005 puts it in the sweet spot of badness. It's new enough to be competing directly with new construction, but old enough that major systems like roofing and HVAC would need to be addressed sooner rather than later, never mind all the other smaller items that may begin to wear.
Are they not putting 30 year roofs in anymore? I'm genuinely curious because I've never had a home newer than late 1980's, and only just replaced the original roof...

Old 09-24-2019, 07:55 AM

654 posts, read 1,396,580 times
Your agent comes off as being inexperienced. The description is really boring and poorly worded (i.e. "you can actually park"...sounds like he's talking to a buddy, not professional at all). The photos don't highlight the home very well (i.e. the oversized sectional photo makes the room look too small). You can lower the price, or pay for some staging assistance (it looks lifeless now) and better photos
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or