Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-21-2019, 11:23 AM

25,116 posts, read 16,215,541 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sand&Salt View Post
Not to depress you, but it took us 3 YEARS to sell our place. Eventually dropped from $235,000 to $150,000 basically the price of the land. Tired of waiting.

ETA, also why I joined C-D, as well. Lots of good advice here.
where was this house again?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-21-2019, 11:57 AM

25,116 posts, read 16,215,541 times
there's some good input from current R/E professionals, a little bit from consumers, and some anecdotal "personal opinion" advice. But ...

tiny price drops mean nothing, other than if agents/buyers get automatic price updates on homes like yours, they'll get an email.

someone doesn't understand how to price a house.

someone doesn't understand how to photograph a house. Maybe your agent bought a Matterport camera and is a DIY'er? Any "professional" that provided those photos should be fired or forced to retake them until they're able to get them right. Why in the heck are the blinds closed in EVERY shot unless you're hiding the outside? (btw, I know that's not the answer, the answer is the photog doesn't know how to shoot the light)

someone doesn't know how to describe a house - "Clean blank slate"? In R/E-speak that means "this home isn't updated, but if you're willing to, come on in!"

if a fence is important, then why not get a free quote for one, so you know what the cost is, and you can provide some info/pictures, etc and use that as a CONCESSION (meaning you'd pay for it at closing, and no $$ out of pocket now)?

The BEST post I read asked - how many homes have sold since you hit the market, and what are average (I'll add median) DOM in your neighborhood or Zip?

Old 09-21-2019, 09:21 PM

2,538 posts, read 1,910,756 times
In the photo of the backyard, you can barely see there is a patio. I'd get a couple of colorful plastic Adirondack chairs from Lowe's with a little table in between and some potted blooming plants to give that area some life. Don't just open the blinds, but pull them up unless you are hiding the view. Do you have under cabinet lights? If so, turn them on. The kitchen seems dark. Overall, it is a very nice, traditional house. When my daughter sold her house earlier this year, looker after looker said they loved her house, but wanted a bonus room, which she didn't have. Then came along a buyer who didn't care about the lack of a bonus room and offered full price. Your buyer is out there somewhere.

Old 09-21-2019, 09:31 PM

14,483 posts, read 12,114,400 times
I have been busy and have only quickly looked at the pictures of this home.

I think everyone has the negatives all handled... I will admit, they aren't the best pictures.

But I have to say I am impressed with what a pretty house this is, with pretty finishes and details, and I am AMAZED at how much house you can buy for $322K in Tennessee! So affordable compared to here. This house here would not be brick and would be well over $422K. Nearly twice that in some parts, depending on its placement. It makes those of us in other far away markets not feel real helpful on what may be lacking in your listing.

I do wish you luck though and I hope you keep us posted!

Old 09-21-2019, 09:35 PM

49,927 posts, read 59,944,601 times
Yes, the photos make the home look dark and cramped.

I agree with those who said the time of year is hurting you, and the fact that you are in Murfreesboro, which is the fastest-growing market for new homes in Tennessee. Plus the area has a lot of rentals.

All those showings but no offers means the price is too high. Based on the sold comps, if you want to sell it SOON, drop it closer to $300K.

Old 09-21-2019, 10:07 PM

1,449 posts, read 1,148,432 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by carnivalday View Post
Only thing I can add is that the pictures are just awful. Im somewhat surprised that a realtor would put pictures like that up...
I agree with this 100%. The pictures are way too close-in (can't get an idea of room sizes or layout), oddly cropped, and are completely frustrating. The only thing saving the listing, photos-wise, is the 3D walk-through -- it's very nice -- but I'm not sure everyone will take the time to get that far, so you're probably losing potential buyers right there.

I don't agree with the critiques that the kitchen and baths are dated. You have a nice, neutral color scheme going, and everything looks clean and well-maintained. Sure, it's not brand new, but not everyone wants today's trendy features or a totally open concept. Just make sure the home isn't priced as if it were brand new! (I can't tell as I'm not familiar with your market.)

If this were my home, I would insist that my agent re-do those awful pictures...immediately!

One final question: Could there be a smell problem? Pets, mildew, smoke, cooking, teenage boys, air fresheners, etc.? I'm highly sensitive to smells, and they can be a big turn-off. Everyone's house has a "smell," and it's usually not noticeable to those that live there.

Old 09-22-2019, 12:39 AM

11,025 posts, read 7,840,537 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by volfan4life87 View Post
Hey everyone, I'm trying to sell my home in probably not the most ideal time of year but I really need it to sell quickly due to some personal issues. My home has been listed for 3 weeks and has had two open houses, lots of showings (I've lost count, probably closer to 20 than 10 but I'd say under 20) but not a single offer. I already know the first thought is PRICE but my home is priced very comparably to current listings and previous sales in my area of Murfreesboro. I'm extremely anxious to sell, again, due to personal reasons but obviously don't want to just start dropping the price and give the house away. The downstairs HVAC is 5 years old, split-unit is 4 years old, 3 year old 3/4-inch hard wood flooring in all the downstairs, 2 year old thick padded, high quality carpet in every other part of the home that isn't a bathroom. I haven't received any feedback that the home is priced high, but have received feedback that the kitchen is somewhat small (it is) and that buyers do not like that all of the bedrooms are upstairs.

Ideally I'd like to be under contract before the end of this month or early October before we hit the dead period/holiday season. Any ideas where I should go from here? There are other homes in the area that have listed around the time that my home listed and are already listed as contingent on Redfin, which was a bit depressing to see.

Listing below:

https://www.redfin.com/TN/Murfreesbo.../home/60850429

https://www.realtracs.com/listings/2...rt=defaultDesc

https://www.zillow.com/homedetails/2...d/?view=public
The things you view as assets are not necessarily viewed as assets by buyers. See the thread elsewhere on this site about carpet vs. wood floors for greater insight. Most responses there point out the problems with carpet. They don't care if it's "thick padded," that might even make it worse. That might add to the value in your mind but might not translate to the market in general. Your wood flooring may appeal to you but color, grain and edge treatments are a matter of personal taste, as are the colors and wall finishes in every area of the house. I'm not a fan of the cumulonimbus color palette.

The AC units are not going to add much value because people expect serviceable units. A twenty year old unit will have more impact on price than a two year old unit. Don't let the things you value because you've spent money on them in the past few years convince you that the market shares your views.

Edited to add: The pictures are not taken well and the order of their presentation appears to be totally random rather than logical. Your agent needs to do a much better job with them even if it means hiring a photographer to accomplish. A kitchen always rates more than one photo and the angle on this one is terrible. It seems like a view from the refrigerator area towards the sink would connect it to the next area and not make it look so closed in.

Last edited by kokonutty; 09-22-2019 at 01:10 AM..

Old 09-22-2019, 07:57 AM

4,374 posts, read 11,229,260 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Okey Dokie View Post
If I’m not “feeling the love” looking at a property, the fact that my agent is going to get a bigger payday isn’t going to get me to like it any more. Maybe less...I might be suspicious s/he was really pushing this house just because of the commission rate.

I’d take that 3% and lower the price instead.
This is not designed to make people who wouldn't buy it want to buy it, it's designed to have more agents show it (trust me it works) so that the person who LOVES it sees it sooner and it sells faster.

OP, I'd go at least 4.5% to selling agent to make a BIG splash, it you raise it in small increments again there is no real impact, just like dropping the price slowly - you want shock value.

Whoever said not to increase the listing agent's commission, that is NOT what I suggested, just increase the selling agent's commission.

Old 09-22-2019, 10:54 AM

12,847 posts, read 9,055,079 times
Ok, I'm not a real estate agent, just another homeowner here in TN. Look at my comments as coming from a disinterested consumer.

a. Everyone is talking about the pictures being poor quality. To me it's not the quality of the pictures but what they are pictures of. The rooms just don't look very inviting to be in. Now I'm a big lover of trim and woodwork, but this woodwork seems out of place, like it was added for bling bling, not solid design.

b. Cabinetry looks like standard stock. Not that they are bad in and of themselves, but just jump out in contradiction to the tilework, countertops and woodwork. Again making everything look cold and uninviting bling bling.

c. Room layout seems awkward. Doors and openings don't seem to flow well. Seems to be a problem in a lot of over designed modern homes including the one we live in now.

Some of these things are lessons learned from our own house so they stand out to me when looking at other houses.

Paint color? Meh, I can repaint easily.

All told, I think you're in a market with a lot of new build going on at a bit lower price point. If I can get basically the same livability in a new house that doesn't have the bling bling and save $35K, that's where I'd look. Sorry, just my opinion of houses here in TN.

Old 09-22-2019, 10:58 PM

9,891 posts, read 11,766,452 times
There is another factor to consider. It is such a trend, that NRA is bringing it to the attention of Realtors. Your home is in the size and price range that is turning off millennial and many other buyers, making it difficult to get the price that sellers think their home should sell for.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate