Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-19-2019, 01:33 PM

2,194 posts, read 1,139,646 times

Advertisements

A number of other posters have mentioned it, but you haven't responded to it: If there is a glut of inventory at your price range in the area, especially if much of that glut is brand-new construction and especially considering your layout issues, then you are probably overpriced.

Most people want brand new, even if your home is relatively new. It is what is. My market is very similar.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-19-2019, 01:43 PM

34 posts, read 27,437 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by djsuperfly View Post
A number of other posters have mentioned it, but you haven't responded to it: If there is a glut of inventory at your price range in the area, especially if much of that glut is brand-new construction and especially considering your layout issues, then you are probably overpriced.

Most people want brand new, even if your home is relatively new. It is what is. My market is very similar.
I don't think there are that many new-new homes per say, but there are definitely newer homes at my price point that have more popular features in the places it matters most. I just ran through the list of homes priced between $275k-$335k and there were probably 4 other homes at my price or just a little higher I would buy before mine were I shopping. I believe that answers that.

Old 09-19-2019, 04:53 PM

8,590 posts, read 12,347,410 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by carnivalday View Post
Only thing I can add is that the pictures are just awful. Im somewhat surprised that a realtor would put pictures like that up, if he was worth his salt. It seems people are coming to look at it, tho, so something, once people get there, are turning people off. Its not price, if people are coming; but if theres no offers after people see it, then it is price. You may have to lower it to where people think, well I really dont like this about this house, but at that price, I can live with it.
OP--I agree with this. To find that "right" family you need to get more people through the front door. Another poster familiar with Murfreesboro mentioned the large number of houses on the market. That translates to lots of options for buyers. You need to compete. The pictures do nothing that would inspire me to make an appointment to see the house if I had lots of other choices. More than half the pictures seem to emphasize the ceilings unnecessarily.

The other thing I noticed is the two very large sectionals. Both seem to be blocking doors. Can you pull out a section of each so the doors aren't blocked? You don't have an open plan as you know and those sectionals are doing nothing but make it seem more closed off. I'd also add some colorful pillows or throws or flowers or something. All the gray and beige just dulls the senses.

BTW--I'm familiar with Murfreesboro. My brother had to sell a new house (less than a year old) there in 2008. Talk about a rough time to sell...

Old 09-19-2019, 06:15 PM

4,985 posts, read 3,966,169 times
in response:

1 - there's really no drop-dead date, but my firm goal is to be out of the home before Thanksgiving.
"out" or sold or you have the money in hand from the sale?

2 - not sure what you're asking, could you please elaborate?
is there anyone other than yourself and the buyer who would have to agree to complete the sale?

3 - the terms of my mortgage require that I be the resident; that aside, it's not something I'd consider anyways because I would like the proceeds from the sale to pay off some outstanding debts I have.
thank you.
that eliminates one option.

Old 09-19-2019, 06:58 PM

10,609 posts, read 5,647,123 times
I've seen billboards for:

https://www.homevestors.com/

https://www.webuyuglyhouses.com/how-does-it-work/.

I do not know anything about them, nor do I know anyone who has contacted them.

Given your sense of urgency, it might be worth contacting them.

Old 09-19-2019, 07:10 PM

7,709 posts, read 5,454,906 times
Quote:
I would revise this to "most people who have never owned a house before want brand new."

When I was very young, it never even occurred to me to look for anything other than brand new. Most inventory in my area was new or in some stage of being built. Model homes were everywhere.

Where I lucked out was that houses were generally very well built back in "the good old days." Since that time, though, I have seen extremely shoddy construction in many new house subdivisions.

Now my interest has shifted away from new construction to quality existing homes which nearly always are in the best parts of the best towns, closer to amenities. Location, location, location.

Old 09-19-2019, 07:29 PM

2,194 posts, read 1,139,646 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SFBayBoomer View Post
I would revise this to "most people who have never owned a house before want brand new."

When I was very young, it never even occurred to me to look for anything other than brand new. Most inventory in my area was new or in some stage of being built. Model homes were everywhere.

Where I lucked out was that houses were generally very well built back in "the good old days." Since that time, though, I have seen extremely shoddy construction in many new house subdivisions.

Now my interest has shifted away from new construction to quality existing homes which nearly always are in the best parts of the best towns, closer to amenities. Location, location, location.
Meh. You live in a pretty unique real estate market that is probably much more dissimilar to the rest of the nation than it is similar. So, while your first sentence statement may be true for you or even your market, I certainly don't see it in mine. I also definitely don't see you last paragraph being true in my market either.

Old 09-20-2019, 04:02 AM

34,090 posts, read 82,975,811 times
Quote:
Meh. You live in a pretty unique real estate market that is probably much more dissimilar to the rest of the nation than it is similar. So, while your first sentence statement may be true for you or even your market, I certainly don't see it in mine. I also definitely don't see you last paragraph being true in my market either.
It's posts like this which point out how important offering some location information is.
Look up and right.

On the points though... I'll give the points to SFBayBoomer.

Old 09-20-2019, 05:33 AM

586 posts, read 554,726 times
It’s so dull looking and the pics don’t do you any favors. (A pic of a railing—really)?

You should have the house restaged with some colorful stuff in it, and pics retaken on a sunny day. One thing you are going to have an uphill battle with is the yard. For $325k, I would expect a nice deck or patio or something that will allow me to entertain outside, especially since your price point is to younger people and it’s Tennessee, which has 900 sunny days a year.

And Boomer is spot on. New construction is getting overlooked because builders just don’t listen half the time and make stupid decisions, then wonder why their product won’t move.

Old 09-20-2019, 07:30 AM

21,932 posts, read 9,498,367 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by volfan4life87 View Post
Completely agree, but with that said the other homes with offers that have some of those features are priced at $134-$149/SF whereas we're at $131/SF. I don't know if the competing inventory and time of year just means they're going to sell first and we have to wait a bit longer, or if we're priced wrong. A $10-15k drop in price will only change your mortgage by about $50-$60, the annual escrow change can fluctuate more than that lol. So feels like dropping anything less than ~$20k wouldn't do a thing. Maybe I'm just being impatient..
YOu said people said the kitchen is small. Is it smaller than the comps? Have you had any second showings?

I would also have it staged and have professional photos. Those photos are terrible. Odd angles.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate