U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-24-2019, 07:06 AM

4,140 posts, read 2,167,840 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bpollen View Post
I wouldn't buy a house w/well water. The well will run out of water at some point, or have health issues. If you tie into public water, you have to pay to the point of tie-in.

Septic systems are okay, if not toooo old. I prefer city systems, though, and would avoid septic, unless there's some reason to buy in that area.

I have a septic system. That's what in the area I chose. It's totally fine. But I'm single, so it's easy to keep it healthy. Not an overload of laundry or kids throwing things down the toilet or anything.

When I sell the house, I'll need to pay for pumping it out, though. About $400, I think. And cost of a health certification required by my district (about $100, I think?).
You can't sensibly state that "the well will run out of water at some point". I know loads of people who have deep or artesian wells that were drilled 30-40 years ago that are going strong and have never run out of clean pure water even during droughts like the one this year. Now, if you buy a house with a shallow, dug well then you're setting yourself up for a lot of worry from the git-go, but that's the buyer's ignorance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-24-2019, 08:50 AM

453 posts, read 1,524,896 times
I've always had municipal water/sewer until my current house which has a septic but still on city water. So far, I've had to have some pipes that lead to the drainfield replaced due to the previous owner planting some trees too close-cost about $3k but also included replacing the tank cover and pumping. We are a family of three and the septic company recommends to pump every 3-5yrs at around $400. Our water bill is half what it use to be though due to not paying for city sewer which more than covers the 3-5yr pump out. I'd still prefer city sewer if it were available in our area, just one less thing to maintain.

Old Today, 09:52 AM

28 posts, read 9,122 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ImmerLernen View Post
Thank you ALL for your detailed answers! Super helpful. At this stage of our lives, I think we'll stick to looking at homes on muni services as was our original plan.
I'm late to the party but happy to see you arrived at this point. My question for you would've been how long you intended on staying at your next home. I'm an engineer at a water utility district and I frequently see the struggles of homeowners whose septic system has failed (and the health dept. is requiring they connect to sewer) or whose well water has gone dry or been contaminated. It's an astronomical expense and almost always comes out of nowhere. There's a reason the properties do not have water/sewer either due to topography and/or proximity to water/sewer.

Old Today, 10:09 AM

1,993 posts, read 687,347 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bungalove View Post
You can't sensibly state that "the well will run out of water at some point". I know loads of people who have deep or artesian wells that were drilled 30-40 years ago that are going strong and have never run out of clean pure water even during droughts like the one this year. Now, if you buy a house with a shallow, dug well then you're setting yourself up for a lot of worry from the git-go, but that's the buyer's ignorance.
Exactly correct in disputing the statement that a well will run out of water at some point!

Drilled wells tap into underground veins that have a constant supply of water ( underground aquifers ) and many municipal water systems obtain all of their water from drilled wells. So your piped in municipal water could be from a series of drilled wells.

Perhaps shallow hand dug wells could dry up depending on water table fluctuations!

Old Today, 04:03 PM

345 posts, read 218,204 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by volfan4life87 View Post
I'm late to the party but happy to see you arrived at this point. My question for you would've been how long you intended on staying at your next home. I'm an engineer at a water utility district and I frequently see the struggles of homeowners whose septic system has failed (and the health dept. is requiring they connect to sewer) or whose well water has gone dry or been contaminated. It's an astronomical expense and almost always comes out of nowhere. There's a reason the properties do not have water/sewer either due to topography and/or proximity to water/sewer.
We intend for our next home to be ours for at least 10 years.

I would certainly consider connecting to muni water and sewer if that were an option, but I'm guessing that's not possible for some of the properties I've seen with private well & septic.

Here's a listing which gives an example of what I'm talking about. It's not what I'd characterize as rural, but it does not have the muni services:

https://www.realtor.com/realestatean...7_M40783-31262
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate