Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-21-2019, 08:10 PM

4,378 posts, read 2,873,002 times

Advertisements

I’m talking maintenance, things breaking, etc. Not home payments and taxes.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-21-2019, 09:09 PM

4,640 posts, read 11,869,519 times
About $5,000: $1500 roof repair, $1000 plumbing, $500 electric, $1000 flooring, less than $1000 (can't remember) on drywall repair (I couldn't reach it so had to hire out). And this was actually not a bad year. I'm not done yet as I need to have a tree trimmed.

The plumbing thing really drives me nuts because hot water heater went out, on a weekend, in the middle of winter so I had to pay extra to get it fixed after hours.

I lost track of landscaping and other minor repairs.

Old 09-22-2019, 06:12 AM

7,087 posts, read 8,585,304 times
Well I’ve had two houses this year so had to do some minor work to the first (2015) before selling it, drywall repair and landscaping out back. It wasn’t expensive, about $2,000 total.

The new house, new construction, everything. It’ll end up being maybe $140,000 in work from repainting the interior white (except the game room, dark gray), adding recessed lighting to 4 rooms, upgraded master closet, whole home water softening system and RO system for the kitchen, epoxy garage flooring, smart switches throughout the home (4 bedrooms, hallways, loft, living room, kitchen, garage, 3 bathrooms; only guest bedroom was left untouched), blinds and Lutron smart blinds, pool / hot tub / fire pit / landscaping, upgraded mirror frames, 8 ceiling fans installed, gym flooring installed, and more work upcoming like soundproofing several rooms, soundproof window for one bedroom, soft close cabinets, smart irrigation system, smart garage door opener, upgraded light switch plates, and I’m hoping glass and steel balcony railing instead of the metal that’s there (obstructs the view).

Old 09-22-2019, 07:23 AM

28,396 posts, read 16,236,420 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Berteau View Post
Just bought a new-to-us 1957 ranch. Buckle up:

~$3500 for tree removal (a dozen mature trees)

~$4K for sewer line repair

~$4K for plumbing a new pump for the utility sink in the basement (which the washing machine drains into)

~$3K For new concrete walk on the side of the carport

~$2500 for new 6" gutters/downspouts/drain tile

~$3K for wood replacement (siding and fascia)

~$4750 for exterior paint

~$1500 for new front door and install

~$700 for chimney repair

Add in another ~$2500 in landscaping/plantings we've done, plus the crawlspace encapsulation we have scheduled for Nov/Dec and we've gone WAY over our projected budget for this year.

The extra kick in the gut is that we haven't even gotten to do any "fun" stuff like new floors or kitchen and bath renos (all of which are on the list - thankfully the baths are small )

Old 09-22-2019, 07:23 AM

4,085 posts, read 2,516,929 times
Outside of yard/garden maintenance supplies, I've only spent $125 on round #1 of gutter cleaning (the upper gutters are far higher than I can reach on my own.) I usually have my gutters cleaned between three and four times a year.

However, I am about to spend big money on maintenance and repairs for my house. Annual chimney inspection (I have a wood burning fireplace, so this is an annual "must-do" maintenance item. Costs $150). Boiler inspection ($125) New garage door opener (will do myself and still am in the process of shopping for a new one). Renting a power washer so that I can repaint my front porch ($25). Paint for the porch to be determined. I am replacing the Pittsburgh potty in the basement as well as replacing and reconnecting the faucet that goes to the small hand sink that is outside the toilet/shower cubicle. (Will cost me the supplies and my time.)

I am getting ready to call a leak detection company to help me to find the source of three leaks in my house. I cannot figure out where water is coming from when it rains "just right." (The windows on either side of the fireplace leak badly.) It's either coming from faulty flashing around the chimney, the attic vents, or through masonry (which also needs to be repaired!).

There is also a slow leak in the garage ceiling that I strongly suspect is coming from the kitchen, but I figure that I might as well have the leak detection person look at that as well simply to confirm my suspicions. Due to past experiences, I've found that using a leak detection company is money well spent rather than having different contractors from different specialties point fingers at one another (or in the case of the garage leak, so that I can make the repair myself.)

I also need to have to have a structural engineer out to the house to see if it's time to get on the docket of our local foundation repair company. Some minor cracks have widened over the five years since I bought the house, so it's definitely time to have them addressed.

I also need to have my gutters re-pitched (again. *sigh*) Prior to my purchase of this house, the gutters emptied directly into the storm sewer. Due to EPA regs, they had to be disconnected from the storm sewer drains and I've had nothing but problems getting the water properly redirected, hence the changes in my foundation. (The clay soil that is omnipresent in my area combined with the monsoon-like storms have not helped, either.) The gutters are brand new, but the installer did a very poor job of pitching them (among other things--he was by far the worst contractor with whom I've ever dealt in my years as a homeowner.)

After the foundation has been addressed, I need to have a new double retaining wall built. The original one finally gave up the ghost after weeks of off and on heavy rain last spring.

I'm guessing that this whole combined adventure (just the foundation, gutters, and retaining walls alone) is going to run me somewhere between $15,000-25,000, if not more.

I consider it money well-spent as I have no plans on leaving this house and it's an investment in my peace of mind, if not my wallet.

I also knew what I was walking into when I bought a house with a lot of deferred maintenance. (Third time as a homeowner; grew up in an old house that my parents spent a lot of time getting up to speed, so to speak.) I've only had a few nasty surprises with it. Most repairs and replacements have been on my "punch list" since I did my initial walk-through before I even made an offer on the house.

All houses are money pits; older ones just suck out money in different ways.

Last edited by Formerly Known As Twenty; 09-22-2019 at 07:33 AM..

Old 09-22-2019, 07:25 AM

9,196 posts, read 7,182,913 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Berteau View Post
So far, I guess about $7000 in necessary repairs. Although in all fairness, it’s a prewar cottage. It’s old, and the previous owner didn’t do a very good job maintaining the electrical, heating, and plumbing for a good 5-10 years. Probably another $3000 in non-essential, but badly neglected, cosmetic issues.

I’m anticipating spending about the same next year.

Old 09-22-2019, 07:39 AM

9,434 posts, read 4,197,686 times
Our home is about 50 years old and we budget 10k per year for maintenance. Could be a new deck, new furniture, major landscaping, major appliances, paint job. I know what I am doing in the next 3 years. Next year is power wash and restrain cedar siding, we did it ourselves 10 years ago and it took 3 months of nights and weekends to bring it back to it’s beautiful natural cedar color. Year after next is new mattresses and redo master bedroom with some electrical work. 2 years from now will probably be new hvac as it will be close to 20 years old.

Old 09-22-2019, 09:23 AM

8,228 posts, read 14,153,001 times
Painting window trim, new front storm door, pumping septic, fixing wood and painting shed, new furnace and ac
So feeling quite broke
Still need new gutters and some other stuff but it will have to wait

Old 09-22-2019, 03:56 PM

289 posts, read 221,302 times
If we are talking just maintenance not capital improvements on two homes I spend about $10,500 on landscape maintenance and snow removal, $2800 on window cleaning and high ceiling dusting and $7600 on house cleaning services. Repairs and routine maintenance (HVAC, security, pest control,etc) add another $4000 or so every year. Capital improvements this year are a new dock including jetski ports @ $24,000 and new HVAC system at $12,000.

Old 09-22-2019, 04:03 PM

11,048 posts, read 23,862,202 times
1911 house, no maintenance, no costs. Was a rental, sold it and bought a fixer upper in a better location.

1974 house, no maintenance other than the yard service which is covered by the renter's payment.

1952 house, washing machine repair, $40 part, fixed it ourselves.

1953 'new' fixer upper, dropped about $2K on it so far for various supplies. Will take another $2K to get it finished, no doubt. ROI on that should be about four months once it's rented. Guess I should get offline and go fix and up so it can be rented soon.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate