U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old Yesterday, 03:35 AM

20,169 posts, read 20,274,805 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Serious Conversation View Post
I thought her work was sloppy to a point of being borderline negligent. She then doesn't ask me if I wanted to be on her page, just finds my Facebook, tags me, then posts my address, all without my consent, then sends the friend request. I accepted the request, just said "thank you," but this really grinds my gears.

And yet you accepted her Friend request AND said Thank You?
I bet that will discourage her from doing it again
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old Yesterday, 07:03 AM

1,146 posts, read 310,730 times
There should be privacy training for any marketing use of personal data. Aside from the misleading implication that client was satisfied with service, there are serious implications from such postings. What if client had an abusive ex and didn't want new home purchase, address, etc. publicized not to mention all kinds of issues related to identity theft.

I suspect this was done on a personal page as the OP will now get suggested friend requests from realtor's friend network and vice versa.

OP you can also flag the post as a facebook violation.

Old Yesterday, 07:28 AM

6,122 posts, read 5,045,657 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by luv4horses View Post
I would post as a reply on that picture. “Please remove my personal information. I did NOT give permission for this post.” If she wants to delete your comment she will need to delete the parent comment of hers.
I would have posted this^^^^ and continued with "Not only are you violating my privacy, but I was pretty unhappy with the quality of your service and am NOT recommending you." That will get it taken down by her pretty quick.

Old Yesterday, 08:47 AM

508 posts, read 295,211 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Serious Conversation View Post
One of them also screwed up the contract
All of the other things you mentioned (keys, sign, etc) are indeed things that are annoying and beyond your control. But the contract is yours and you should read it thoroughly before signing. Discovering that “someone screwed it up” after it’s already gone to underwriting is your responsibility as much as it is anyone’s.

Old Yesterday, 09:12 AM

44,582 posts, read 43,075,481 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheShadow View Post
I would have posted this^^^^ and continued with "Not only are you violating my privacy, but I was pretty unhappy with the quality of your service and am NOT recommending you."
Quote:
Originally Posted by petsandgardens View Post

I would contact the agent's broker, the agent herself, even the local board of realtors ...
There's no need to employ a nuclear option.

OP knows how to handle this. He can untag himself, message or email the realtor and resolve it without further embarrassing anyone, including himself.

Old Yesterday, 09:56 AM

337 posts, read 216,162 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by luv4horses View Post
I would post as a reply on that picture. “Please remove my personal information. I did NOT give permission for this post.” If she wants to delete your comment she will need to delete the parent comment of hers.
This seems like a good middle-of-the-road response...not "nuclear" as someone mentioned, but way more appropriate than being irritated yet still saying thanks and accepting her friend request. Then if she does not delete the comments, you can take it to the next level.

Personally, I'd be pissed. I value my privacy maybe more than others, so I'm not on Facebook other than for finding groups/kid activities/events in my area we may want to attend.

To the OP, thanks for posting this. I now know to tell any realtors we work with (buying and selling) that they don't have our permission to use our personal info on their Facebook pages. Seems like any professional would know to ask before they did so, but clearly not, as your experience proves.

Old Yesterday, 10:04 AM

3,943 posts, read 2,715,561 times
Yikes...

No.

I'll post a picture of the house once closed and just say "happy my clients got this awesome house in xyz neighborhood/area" but that's it.

The picture is one taken at final-walkthrough day-of-closing (if you are the buyer's agent you cannot use the listing photo) where the buyers are ASKED "do you mind if I post this to social media; no address and no names?" The only objection I've had is "no; tag us in it too and take our picture signing!"

But full name, address, identifying picture of client?....and ALL without consulting said client first? No... not at all.

You should definitely reach out to the agent and tell them to remove your personal information from the post.

Old Yesterday, 10:20 AM

1,146 posts, read 310,730 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ImmerLernen View Post
This seems like a good middle-of-the-road response...not "nuclear" as someone mentioned, but way more appropriate than being irritated yet still saying thanks and accepting her friend request. Then if she does not delete the comments, you can take it to the next level.

Personally, I'd be pissed. I value my privacy maybe more than others, so I'm not on Facebook other than for finding groups/kid activities/events in my area we may want to attend.

To the OP, thanks for posting this. I now know to tell any realtors we work with (buying and selling) that they don't have our permission to use our personal info on their Facebook pages. Seems like any professional would know to ask before they did so, but clearly not, as your experience proves.
The OP has raised awareness that is helpful to you but if she only contacts realtor to delete this one comment what prevents this realtor and others from repeating this with other clients. Is it incumbent upon the client to proactively tell a realtor they do not have permission? No, this is backwards.

It is not nuclear to contact the broker to advise them of a privacy breach to insure realtors are better informed. I agree with you about privacy and I worked in an industry where protection of personal information was taken very seriously. The realtor's embarrassment is immaterial.

However, OP I do not advocate public shaming as it will only draw more attention to the post.

Last edited by Maddie104; Yesterday at 10:35 AM..

Old Yesterday, 10:27 AM

44,582 posts, read 43,075,481 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maddie104 View Post
However, OP I do not advocate public shaming as it will only draw more attention to the post.
Exactly.

Old Yesterday, 10:47 AM

9,990 posts, read 7,522,099 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TarHeelNick View Post
Yikes...

No.

I'll post a picture of the house once closed and just say "happy my clients got this awesome house in xyz neighborhood/area" but that's it.

The picture is one taken at final-walkthrough day-of-closing (if you are the buyer's agent you cannot use the listing photo) where the buyers are ASKED "do you mind if I post this to social media; no address and no names?" The only objection I've had is "no; tag us in it too and take our picture signing!"

But full name, address, identifying picture of client?....and ALL without consulting said client first? No... not at all.

You should definitely reach out to the agent and tell them to remove your personal information from the post.
pretty much this.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or