U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-22-2019, 10:48 AM

1,881 posts, read 667,120 times

Advertisements

Right. I don't mind Mike's, Shadow's, luv4's ideas at all.

Not old old school nuclear, nor even old school. I think even appropriate by today's definition if one wants to continue on the nuclear theme.

No one has a right to reveal a person's location and economic dealings publicly.

Revealing one's economic status, revealing what they are spending via what they buy, revealing a person's home address....none of that is right. Who knows what could go wrong. I don't even know anyone who puts their own address publicly on fb. Unwise, thoughtless at the least. Dangerous at the worst.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-22-2019, 10:59 AM

44,621 posts, read 43,132,051 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by petsandgardens View Post

No one has a right to reveal a person's location and economic dealings publicly.
So why make the fight public by responding on the FB post?? That makes no sense for someone who really does value their privacy.

Address it immediately and directly without making your old high school friend you haven't seen in 25 years and your dogwalker and your neighbor you friended have to watch it unfold on their timeline.

Old 09-22-2019, 11:14 AM

18,995 posts, read 20,971,586 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Serious Conversation View Post
To piggyback off the recent "are realtors worth the money" thread, I had something interesting to bring up.

I used a realtor for buying a townhome. Simple transaction and she was personable, but her and the listing agent were both very sloppy, and that caused a very near miss on closing. One of them also screwed up the contract - neither admitted fault, and I had to come up with extra cash to close to prevent the loan from needing to go back to underwriting. Neither had keys at closing. I closed last Friday, and there is still a lockbox on the porch with keys in it, as well as a set of chairs on the deck I don't want (the owner said they weren't his). The sign was still on the front of the unit until I set it on the back, propped up against my trash can. If they don't pick it up by Tuesday, it's going into the trash.

I got a notification last night on Facebook that she tagged me with a picture of us at closing in the sale of the home on her personal Facebook page that isn't affiliated with the brokerage, and publicly posted my name, new address, etc., publicly, with over 4,000 friends. It was essentially "Congratulations SC for closing on <address>. I'm so happy for you!" She then sent me a friend request.

I thought her work was sloppy to a point of being borderline negligent. She then doesn't ask me if I wanted to be on her page, just finds my Facebook, tags me, then posts my address, all without my consent, then sends the friend request. I accepted the request, just said "thank you," but this really grinds my gears.

Is this typical practice of an experienced realtor? She's nearly 50 with over a decade of local experience.
I would of contacted her asking to remove ANY reference to the sale including my personal info, and I would of posted a description of her incompetency and additional costs you incurred on her Facebook page. I would also call her broker.

I hire a agent because I need a person who can do a sale or a purchase. I don’t need a friend or to be bothered with referrals. In turn I expect the transactions facts, figures and information to remain as private as possible. Which means keep your mouth shut

Old 09-22-2019, 11:17 AM

34,041 posts, read 59,208,210 times
I figure that my clients who desire exposure on FB are capable of posting themselves.
It isn't all that hard, you know?

Old 09-22-2019, 11:18 AM
Bo Bo won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Tenth Edition (Apr-May 2014). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

16,881 posts, read 33,487,966 times
I closed on the sale of my house in Texas earlier this year, with a fledgling, big-city agent who we felt was barely adequate, but was assigned to us by a third-party service that gave us a rebate for using her. She posted our picture on Facebook and tagged us, with our permission. We didn't comment on her post or like it, because she was not someone we would recommend to people we know.

Our purchasing agent, on this end of the move, was terrific and does a lot of business in our small town. She never asked for a recommendation or posted about us on social, that we know of. We would have gladly given her a recommendation on social media, but she doesn't appear to need it.

Old 09-22-2019, 11:50 AM

6,288 posts, read 3,529,858 times
I bet if you sent the agent a note or better yet to be sure she sees it - call her with your objection - she would remove it immediately without a big public to-do that might draw more attention to it.

Do that first… Then decide if any more is warranted, based on how she responds to that!

Old 09-22-2019, 11:56 AM

2,410 posts, read 909,981 times
You could post on your own page.." x(name)" Realtor who lives at "x(address) sold me a home recently." Along with a photo of her.
Lol. JK.

Old 09-22-2019, 12:25 PM

822 posts, read 265,554 times
I would post under the pictures that she did a terrible job and didn’t have your permission to post. I then would call the broker and real estate board. I would throw away the sign. If you don’t want the patio set put it up for free on Facebook.

Old 09-22-2019, 12:51 PM

10,708 posts, read 6,129,747 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xelfer View Post
All of the other things you mentioned (keys, sign, etc) are indeed things that are annoying and beyond your control. But the contract is yours and you should read it thoroughly before signing. Discovering that “someone screwed it up” after it’s already gone to underwriting is your responsibility as much as it is anyone’s.
Boy I don't know about that. Anyone who has closed knows there is a ton of paperwork and it's unreasonable for the buyer to understand and confirm everything they are signing off on. That is the agent's job, to walk the buyer through the contract and make sure everything is OK.

As for the FB post yeah I'd be pissed too. Totally out of line, especially seeing as SC was not happy with her work. Tell her to remove it and unfriend her, I would also explain to her just what your issues were with regard to the service she provided you.

Old 09-22-2019, 01:12 PM

5,384 posts, read 2,085,251 times
OMG, so many people into drama.

OP: You were passive aggressive in accepting her friend request and saying "thank you."

Now, if you would like to remedy your faux pas (and hers), pm her and ask her to remove the post and if you wish, tell her you did not want your name or address published. No need to go into any drama.

Enjoy your new home and move on.

Last edited by nobodysbusiness; 09-22-2019 at 02:35 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or