U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-22-2019, 02:02 PM

24,530 posts, read 18,267,023 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveinMtAiry View Post
Boy I don't know about that. Anyone who has closed knows there is a ton of paperwork and it's unreasonable for the buyer to understand and confirm everything they are signing off on. That is the agent's job, to walk the buyer through the contract and make sure everything is OK.

As for the FB post yeah I'd be pissed too. Totally out of line, especially seeing as SC was not happy with her work. Tell her to remove it and unfriend her, I would also explain to her just what your issues were with regard to the service she provided you.
There was an amendment to the initial contract for $1,500 more because the seller paid some of the closing costs. That amendment was never passed to the lender, so they underwrote for $1,500 less. I had to come up with that to close. It's not a ton of money, but neither agent took responsibility. Someone got it wrong.

I did have her remove the address.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-22-2019, 03:17 PM

819 posts, read 265,554 times
I had something similar happen and after closing contacted the broker and agent giving them 10 days to pay me 500 or I was going to the real estate board. I received my money within a few days.

Old 09-22-2019, 03:20 PM

6,285 posts, read 3,529,858 times
Collection of topics and my two cents:

RE: Posting the Agent's name and address on facebook as some kind of retaliatory measure. I would guess that horse has long ago left the barn. It would just be free advertising and appreciated. As Realtors who use facebook a lot, our own privacy is long gone, our phone number is published all over, and most people in our small town know exactly where we live. The Realtor in this OP may have forgotten that not everyone lives that way. People are all over the board on this. Lots of people post links to their own home's listings and the homes they're considering on facebook, sometimes asking what their friends think or which they like best, or announcing when they've made an offer. Very common. I don't think there was any malice intended here, after all, she invited the OP to be her fb friend and see what she'd posted. She needed a reminder that some people are more private, and I think she got one.

RE: Reporting her to the brokerage, or the state licensing board. It's really not in their scope. As Realtors, we are, for the most part, independent businesses. We are not employees of the brokerage. Once through with basic training, they don't manage or oversee the day to day business operations of agents. How we run our marketing and our client communications is really up to each agent or team. This lesson is hers to learn. She's not breaking any laws here that warrant intervention by the brokerage or the state, imho.

RE: Lockbox and sign still being there.... I would assume those belong to the listing agent, not the buyer's agent, and they may be picked up any time in the week after close. Some agents do this themselves, some hire a sign service. I am sure buyer's agent would be happy to remind listing agent to come get it... or call listing agent yourself... particularly the lockbox.

BTW, OP - Not sure if your agent covered this, but you should rekey all the locks immediately anyway. No way to ever know who might have keys to the existing locks. Rekeying is not expensive, call a locksmith and do this at the earliest opportunity.

I think that's all the issues I'd seen that were as-yet unanswered.

Old 09-22-2019, 03:56 PM

1,156 posts, read 314,751 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Diana Holbrook View Post
Collection of topics and my two cents:

RE: Posting the Agent's name and address on facebook as some kind of retaliatory measure. I would guess that horse has long ago left the barn. It would just be free advertising and appreciated. As Realtors who use facebook a lot, our own privacy is long gone, our phone number is published all over, and most people in our small town know exactly where we live. The Realtor in this OP may have forgotten that not everyone lives that way. People are all over the board on this. Lots of people post links to their own home's listings and the homes they're considering on facebook, sometimes asking what their friends think or which they like best, or announcing when they've made an offer. Very common. I don't think there was any malice intended here, after all, she invited the OP to be her fb friend and see what she'd posted. She needed a reminder that some people are more private, and I think she got one.

RE: Reporting her to the brokerage, or the state licensing board. It's really not in their scope. As Realtors, we are, for the most part, independent businesses. We are not employees of the brokerage. Once through with basic training, they don't manage or oversee the day to day business operations of agents. How we run our marketing and our client communications is really up to each agent or team. This lesson is hers to learn. She's not breaking any laws here that warrant intervention by the brokerage or the state, imho.

RE: Lockbox and sign still being there.... I would assume those belong to the listing agent, not the buyer's agent, and they may be picked up any time in the week after close. Some agents do this themselves, some hire a sign service. I am sure buyer's agent would be happy to remind listing agent to come get it... or call listing agent yourself... particularly the lockbox.

BTW, OP - Not sure if your agent covered this, but you should rekey all the locks immediately anyway. No way to ever know who might have keys to the existing locks. Rekeying is not expensive, call a locksmith and do this at the earliest opportunity.

I think that's all the issues I'd seen that were as-yet unanswered.
What some people/clients post on their own facebook pages does not give another person license to publish their personal information. THis realtor needed a reminder to get permission before posting any client information regardless of what a client may or may not post on their own. It's not about some people are more private.

Of course there is no malice, why would there be malice. What the realtor did was probably thoughtless but that's no excuse.

Anywhere I was employed we always got permission to even publish clients names. Respecting a client's privacy is the right thing to do and a client should not have to be sending a realtor an e-mail reminding them of that.

So is the brokerage indemnified if there is any harm caused by the realtor's actions?

Old 09-22-2019, 05:10 PM

8,056 posts, read 11,087,166 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Diana Holbrook View Post
I bet if you sent the agent a note or better yet to be sure she sees it - call her with your objection - she would remove it immediately without a big public to-do that might draw more attention to it.

Do that first… Then decide if any more is warranted, based on how she responds to that!
Since they’re Facebook friends they can send it right via Messenger! ��

And I’ll agree with your further advice to have the locks changed. There are many locksmiths that can come out and do it all mobile. Should take a hour or so.

Old 09-22-2019, 06:33 PM

9,637 posts, read 8,581,256 times
I represent one particular buyer who buys and sells a lot of properties that are over a million dollars.

His family are long time family friends, over 40 years.

I don't post anything about what he buys and sells as I feel like it would put his personal wealth out there too much.

If he would like to do this is one thing but I certainly would not.

Old 09-23-2019, 06:28 AM

24,530 posts, read 18,267,023 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xelfer View Post
All of the other things you mentioned (keys, sign, etc) are indeed things that are annoying and beyond your control. But the contract is yours and you should read it thoroughly before signing. Discovering that “someone screwed it up” after it’s already gone to underwriting is your responsibility as much as it is anyone’s.
Yes, I should have noticed it and brought it up, but with everything else going on, it got overlooked.

Old 09-23-2019, 07:00 AM

9,664 posts, read 8,180,276 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by old_cold View Post
And yet you accepted her Friend request AND said Thank You?
I bet that will discourage her from doing it again

Couldn't rep you again, yet.

You can FB message people you aren't "friends" with. I would have un-tagged myself, declined her invite, then FB messaged her (and followed up with an email) requesting that she remove the address from the post. If she didn't remove the address, I would report it to FB.

Old 09-23-2019, 10:34 AM
Bo Bo won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Tenth Edition (Apr-May 2014). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

16,881 posts, read 33,487,966 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bo View Post
I closed on the sale of my house in Texas earlier this year, with a fledgling, big-city agent who we felt was barely adequate, but was assigned to us by a third-party service that gave us a rebate for using her.
Someone asked me in a rep message which third-party service we used that assigned us to this agent. It was this one.

Old 09-23-2019, 01:48 PM

4,552 posts, read 2,686,098 times
We left the listing agent's sign and lock box on the side of our garage for over a month before we finally pitched both. We gave notice several times. I don't have a shred of guilt over it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or