U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old Yesterday, 09:36 PM

24,480 posts, read 18,224,127 times

Advertisements

To piggyback off the recent "are realtors worth the money" thread, I had something interesting to bring up.

I used a realtor for buying a townhome. Simple transaction and she was personable, but her and the listing agent were both very sloppy, and that caused a very near miss on closing. One of them also screwed up the contract - neither admitted fault, and I had to come up with extra cash to close to prevent the loan from needing to go back to underwriting. Neither had keys at closing. I closed last Friday, and there is still a lockbox on the porch with keys in it, as well as a set of chairs on the deck I don't want (the owner said they weren't his). The sign was still on the front of the unit until I set it on the back, propped up against my trash can. If they don't pick it up by Tuesday, it's going into the trash.

I got a notification last night on Facebook that she tagged me with a picture of us at closing in the sale of the home on her personal Facebook page that isn't affiliated with the brokerage, and publicly posted my name, new address, etc., publicly, with over 4,000 friends. It was essentially "Congratulations SC for closing on <address>. I'm so happy for you!" She then sent me a friend request.

I thought her work was sloppy to a point of being borderline negligent. She then doesn't ask me if I wanted to be on her page, just finds my Facebook, tags me, then posts my address, all without my consent, then sends the friend request. I accepted the request, just said "thank you," but this really grinds my gears.

Is this typical practice of an experienced realtor? She's nearly 50 with over a decade of local experience.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old Yesterday, 09:44 PM

44,563 posts, read 43,053,316 times
No, it's not typical.

Untag yourself, message her and request that she remove your address, and unfriend her.

Old Yesterday, 09:53 PM

4,228 posts, read 7,497,196 times
I’d be a bit miffed, and would ask her to please delete the post since you don’t want your address plastered all over Facebook. I bet she never even thought of that. Good thing it wasn’t “Glad I could close the sale at 123 Main Street for SC before s/he left on vacation to Cancun!”

If she wants to trumpet her sales, the best would be “Congratulations to Serious (first name only) for closing on a beautiful home in The Meadows of Oak Tree Manor Estates.” And only with the buyer’s permission.

I’d unfriend her, too.

Old Yesterday, 09:55 PM

6,268 posts, read 3,507,809 times
This seems to be two issues really. One is do most Realtors market and talk about their closings on facebook, and I bet most do.... The other should be whether we should find out if our client is happy with us before putting them on the spot in public! And I think so!

I usually post celebratory posts about closings on both my business and personal page, but I do always ask permission and I never tag people to first post (which puts it on the person's wall and news feed) without permission. I think it's a bit presumptuous.

For most of our clients, we're facebook friends already by closing, but not always. If they're amenable to it, I try to take their picture, either on the front porch or at the signing table, or both. I let THEM share it to their own page to share the news with their friends if they want, I don't tag them.

For those who I know don't share a lot on facebook, I may not even ask to take their picture. I will just make any posts about their closing very discreet. I may post a photo of the home or some feature of the home, and I thank the client perhaps with first names only, as well as the lender, inspector and other agents we worked with, if they were good. But I never post the address.

I post quite a bit about our Real Estate life on our personal page... when we're out looking at homes I often show that, or take pictures of scenery along the way. I post and share our listings and when we go under contract and pass other milestones. But I do try to be sensitive to the client and I hopefully don't put them on the spot if they're not comfortable.

Old Yesterday, 10:07 PM

24,480 posts, read 18,224,127 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Diana Holbrook View Post
This seems to be two issues really. One is do most Realtors market and talk about their closings on facebook, and I bet most do.... The other should be whether we should find out if our client is happy with us before putting them on the spot in public! And I think so!

I usually post celebratory posts about closings on both my business and personal page, but I do always ask permission and I never tag people to first post (which puts it on the person's wall and news feed) without permission. I think it's a bit presumptuous.

For most of our clients, we're facebook friends already by closing, but not always. If they're amenable to it, I try to take their picture, either on the front porch or at the signing table, or both. I let THEM share it to their own page to share the news with their friends if they want, I don't tag them.

For those who I know don't share a lot on facebook, I may not even ask to take their picture. I will just make any posts about their closing very discreet. I may post a photo of the home or some feature of the home, and I thank the client perhaps with first names only, as well as the lender, inspector and other agents we worked with, if they were good. But I never post the address.

I post quite a bit about our Real Estate life on our personal page... when we're out looking at homes I often show that, or take pictures of scenery along the way. I post and share our listings and when we go under contract and pass other milestones. But I do try to be sensitive to the client and I hopefully don't put them on the spot if they're not comfortable.
I looked at this transaction as nothing but business. I'm not a friend of hers anymore than I am of a random vendor at my office. I didn't mentioned at closing as I was just ready to be done, but I thought she was careless and an airhead.

I didn't mind the picture to be featured as "Congrats <first name> on your new home purchase." on a brokerage website or even her personal Facebook. I didn't think she would spill my full name, address, etc., on a personal page that is obviously piggybacking a business advertisement, without ever discussing that with me. I didn't friend her before that, and I wouldn't have.

I keep my Facebook mostly personal. Lots of realtors have "John Smith - REALTOR" as a separate business page. She doesn't have one.

I find it all a bit weird.

Old Yesterday, 10:14 PM

44,563 posts, read 43,053,316 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Serious Conversation View Post

Sounds like it's yet another in a long string of bad decisions on her part.

Old Yesterday, 10:32 PM

6,268 posts, read 3,507,809 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Serious Conversation View Post
I didn't mind the picture to be featured as "Congrats <first name> on your new home purchase." on a brokerage website or even her personal Facebook. I didn't think she would spill my full name, address, etc., on a personal page that is obviously piggybacking a business advertisement, without ever discussing that with me. I didn't friend her before that, and I wouldn't have.
Right and that’s where she went off the rails. The feeling wasn’t mutual and she shared more than you were comfortable with.

Quote:
I keep my Facebook mostly personal. Lots of realtors have "John Smith - REALTOR" as a separate business page. She doesn't have one.

Understood… In other relationships we call this level-jumping :-) she level-jumped.

We are good friends with many of our former clients and many of our clients were first our friends but that’s not always the case. Sometimes it is just business! And occasionally maybe they don’t love us... Even if we wish they did. We definitely should know the difference!

Fwiw, We have both a business page and a personal one. I think it’s good to have the business page for the record, most of the interaction and most of the audience is on my personal page.

Some Realtors feel the business page is a waste of time, but if you are going to have paid advertising on Facebook or boosted posts or solicit posted reviews you have to have a business page. And Facebook will ding you if you try to run too much overt business on a personal page. It has to be conversational and not spammy. I do know realtors who have gotten suspended for being spammy on their personal page.

Last edited by Diana Holbrook; Yesterday at 10:43 PM.. Reason: Clarity

Old Yesterday, 10:56 PM

1,876 posts, read 661,319 times
Well violating my privacy and safety by showing my pic and giving out my name, address...those would be big negatives with me. I'd have her delete that post immediately.

Add to that more than implying that you recommend her (which I wouldn't) when you got irresponsible service.

I would contact the agent's broker, the agent herself, even the local board of realtors and say as much. This may sound harsh but this irresponsibility, training not drilled into agents...can cause problems.

Old Today, 12:16 AM

6,722 posts, read 8,269,763 times
I would post as a reply on that picture. “Please remove my personal information. I did NOT give permission for this post.” If she wants to delete your comment she will need to delete the parent comment of hers.

Old Today, 03:24 AM

34,026 posts, read 59,163,587 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by luv4horses View Post
I would post as a reply on that picture. “Please remove my personal information. I did NOT give permission for this post.” If she wants to delete your comment she will need to delete the parent comment of hers.

Yup.
Make the above demand a public comment on the post, and if not complied with within a day or two, comment that the experience was less than you hoped for.
And, call her broker demanding a take down.

She is way out of bounds. This sort of crap is not "typical," but it IS far too common.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or