U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old Yesterday, 03:59 AM

64 posts, read 14,849 times

Advertisements

My brothers and sisters still believe we can salvage the relationship with my eldest sister. Some are still confident that we can come to a resolution without a lawyer. I donít feel the same . They are begging me not to hire a lawyer.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old Yesterday, 04:07 AM

34,070 posts, read 59,260,161 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadrun1 View Post
My brothers and sisters still believe we can salvage the relationship with my eldest sister. Some are still confident that we can come to a resolution without a lawyer. I don’t feel the same . They are begging me not to hire a lawyer.

Let them buy you out.
Pick a number.
$150,000?
$125,000?

Let them fix things to suit themselves while you grill pork chops or watch the game.

Old Yesterday, 04:57 AM

29,217 posts, read 63,522,945 times
Quote:
Some are still confident that we can come to a resolution without a lawyer.
No one with any sense... let alone experience.
I'll repeat: You seem to prefer to continue to go out of your way to NOT solve the problems.

Old Yesterday, 05:06 AM

3,674 posts, read 1,460,186 times
Quote:
My brothers and sisters still believe we can salvage the relationship with my eldest sister. Some are still confident that we can come to a resolution without a lawyer. I don’t feel the same . They are begging me not to hire a lawyer.
Oh for Godsake.

Let's cut through the hand-wringing and lay out your options in painfully stark terms. Those options are as follows:
  1. Let your sister get away with guilt-tripping you out of your fair share of the property
  2. Hire a lawyer
  3. That's really it.
Stop making excuses, make your decision already, and start making peace with whatever decision you make.

Old Yesterday, 06:04 AM

545 posts, read 288,214 times
Quote:
My niece is well off . She will buy it in cash without a mortgage.
So the niece could buy everyone out?

Old Yesterday, 06:12 AM

8,068 posts, read 3,607,514 times
I agree with the lawyer up group. She has had a free ride for 10 years. Now, she wants you all to give the equity to her daughter by almost giving the house to her. No thanks. I donít care how attached she is to the house. She can get attached to another house that sheís paying a mortgage on.

Old Yesterday, 06:47 AM

10,725 posts, read 12,642,032 times
Quote:
So whats the problem?

Get it appraised and tell her the price is $_________.

Old Yesterday, 07:05 AM

819 posts, read 637,097 times
free rent for ten years??? she is trying to take advantage of them unless she helped her mom a lot financially.

As siblings grow older and lead increasingly separate lives from their brothers/sisters and may only get together at Thanksgiving or Christmas, it is not that difficult to disagree.
Then you factor in when they were younger and lived in the same area, one or more of the siblings may have been jealous of a sister/brother who was favored over the rest. Now all this pent-up jealousy is unleashed later in life once the Mother or Father passes. They don't care what their sis/bro thinks as long as they get something to make their lives better.

Old Yesterday, 07:55 AM

1,406 posts, read 2,109,267 times
Quote:
Well that certainly adds a whole new wrinkle to this entire drama (IMHO), I think you should have lead with this tidbit.

Unless I'm misunderstanding something, we've gone from:

'Poor oldest sister wants to stay in the house she has lived in a significant portion of her life and keep the house in the family to pass down to her daughter but can't afford it so she wants her sibs to sacrifice their portion of the inheritance to make it happen'

To:

'Poor oldest sister wants her sibs to sacrifice their portion of their inheritance to secure a massive discount on the house for herself and her millionaire daughter'?

Am I reading this situation correctly?

I would think it would go without saying that if that's the case, the eldest sister is acting in an unconscionable manner and that your other sibs are willing to enable her is truly mind boggling.

I know it's easy to be an internet jockey and pontificate without ramification, but, again if I'm understanding things correctly, but if I were you, I'd stick to your guns, get the thing resolved and then simply distance yourself from these people. Easier said than done (the latter esp.) I totally get it, but a good person surrounded by bad people even for good reasons usually doesn't end well for the good person. If I've missed something, then just ignore my ramblings.

Old Yesterday, 10:57 AM

20,455 posts, read 10,649,117 times
Quote:
If the niece can afford $600k cash she can get a mortgage for the full $1.2M. She is trying to get a very steep discount at your expense.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate