U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old Yesterday, 05:04 PM

27 posts, read 3,041 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grlzrl View Post
??? How is she forcing anyone?
She will only sell it to her daughter at a discount. She refuses to sell to a private buyer. She has all the legal documents . Iím not really knowledgeable in estate law and real estate. The posts have made me a little smarter.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old Yesterday, 05:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spottednikes View Post
Get an appraisal and 3 market analysises by realtors and use the number in the middle/between middle and low value. Let sister buy all of you out for that amount and she can sell to daughter for whatever she wants.
We tried but she doesnít have the means to buy out the rest of us. She is giving all of us the guilt trip. She cries every time we talk about selling the house .

Old Yesterday, 05:22 PM

15,951 posts, read 27,121,343 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadrun1 View Post
She will only sell it to her daughter at a discount. She refuses to sell to a private buyer. She has all the legal documents . Iím not really knowledgeable in estate law and real estate. The posts have made me a little smarter.
Well bless her heart. The only control that she has is the control the remainder of you give her. Each of you are entitled to see the documents for the home. Each of you are entitled to your portion of the value of the home.

Old Yesterday, 06:02 PM

4,136 posts, read 2,163,063 times
Quote:
We tried but she doesnít have the means to buy out the rest of us. She is giving all of us the guilt trip. She cries every time we talk about selling the house .
Oh pooh. She's playing on your feelings, but she's had 10 years of living in the house already to "keep the memories alive". It's time for the rest of the family to engage the services of a local estate attorney, remove her as the executor, and force the sale of the house on the open market at fair market value. I don't tolerate bullies, and your sister is using tears and family ties to emotionally and financially bully all of you.

Old Yesterday, 06:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bungalove View Post
Oh pooh. She's playing on your feelings, but she's had 10 years of living in the house already to "keep the memories alive". It's time for the rest of the family to engage the services of a local estate attorney, remove her as the executor, and force the sale of the house on the open market at fair market value. I don't tolerate bullies, and your sister is using tears and family ties to emotionally and financially bully all of you.
I agree with you

Old Yesterday, 06:47 PM

Thank you for all the info. It is a lot to take in all at once especially to someone who is ignorant of the legal process . I have to share this with my other siblings

Old Yesterday, 07:00 PM

808 posts, read 261,580 times
I would get a lawyer and force a sale. 10 years is ridiculous. Waiting until the niece sells for the rest of the money is stupid. The parents wishes need to be honored.

Old Yesterday, 07:01 PM

4,870 posts, read 2,655,790 times
Quote:
Thank you for all the info. It is a lot to take in all at once. I have to share this with my other siblings .
Hold on. What state is this? It may be that by letting your sister live there for ten years rent-free that you and your siblings have lost your rights to this house.

I'm with Mike in that I would not let this tear up my family.

Other things, possibly, but not money. No way.

Old Yesterday, 07:12 PM

3,649 posts, read 1,447,385 times
Quote:
Sorry for the mistake. We actually don’t have a will. The deed has all our names. I just checked with my sister . I was confused because my eldest sister has all the documents
Will or no will, the estate still needs to go through the probate process. There is a default procedure for the courts to follow in the event of no will -- chances are it will be similar to what is already structured in the house deed (equally divided among siblings).

Quote:
Originally Posted by SFBayBoomer View Post
I'm with Mike in that I would not let this tear up my family.

Other things, possibly, but not money. No way.
That ship left the port roughly 10 years ago when the executor of the estate declined to initiate the probate process. Plus it sounds like the other siblings are fundamentally in agreement with the OP, so the one most at risk of being "torn" from the family is the one who is the source of consternation to begin with.

Last edited by Bitey; Yesterday at 07:26 PM..

Old Yesterday, 07:27 PM

32,593 posts, read 37,248,330 times
Settle this soon or if some of the siblings die and they pass it to their kids you'll never get it settled.

Eight becomes 20 to deal with.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate