U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-24-2019, 08:11 PM

30,799 posts, read 47,986,660 times

Advertisements

Our neighbors had a water pipe in foundation burst (no basements in our part of the country)
They had significant water damage in their master bath and bedroom and other first floor rooms
They were at work and came home to find water in first floor
Took the plumbing company long time to find/fix the leak—they had to jack the floor (concrete foundation w/tile bathroom floor) and make serious hole to get to it...
They were w/o water — had to go to motel—
Had two kids and labradoodle puppy

Big fix—-big claim
Nothing they did wrong

We had foundation leak in previous house but the plumber could cut off the hot water line (water heater in attic) and run a second PVC line across attic floor and down wall to feed into the guest bathroom line
We got lucky
Didn’t file insurance claim

In our state now, most home insurance deductibles are based on % of the home’s insured value—so if home is insured for 350K then your deductible is % of that
2% is 7K—
Don’t remember what ours is
But paying 1K deductible for house that is fairly expensive is just not happening in my part of TX
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-24-2019, 08:17 PM

30,799 posts, read 47,986,660 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by David_2019 View Post
Farmers was the only company that stated that the water damage claim followed the property. The other insurance companies stated that it didn't follow the property, so I was able to get good quotes from the other companies.

The seller still has a day or two to provide the disclosures and I have the inspection scheduled for later this week.

As for my comment about it being suspicious, it was in regards to the house being listed for sale within a few months after the water damage claim.
They had a baby AND they had a water intrusion leak—
Two separate events—
It could have been the baby that prompted the desire to move initially even w/o any water damage

Their balcony was not designed to divert water and likely it overflowed into the interior
I would worry that it happened more than one time—maybe just not as severe

I would want to know what they/whoever did the repairs do to prevent any future water trapping/flooding—how is water/melting ice draining away from vs into the house’s interior now—what did they do to prevent future issues? New downspout—waterproof the balcony interior (what is it made of anyway?)—
Any outdoor balcony should be constructed to drain AWAY from the main house—
Just like a niche in the shower wall should tilt every so slightly INTO the shower vs be level—
So the water it catches drains OUT vs standing-

Are they sure the water damage was ONLY in the master bedroom—what about other 2nd floor rooms?
What about the room underneath—
Water spreads—meets resistance—finds another way to go—
So one leak can cover a large area—especially if it is an upper leak to start with because then gravity aids it

I would want the rooms adjacent to that leak tested for water/damp w/a sensing meter
And I would want to see photos of the damage
I know the insurance adjusters likely took photos—
They did when we had water damage from toilet that overflowed at our FL house
And they went the extra step and took all wallpaper off two rooms where there was water damage to lower drywall—behind baseboards...
They wanted to ensure there was no water/damp trapped behind wallpaper to grow mold later...

Old 09-24-2019, 09:54 PM

819 posts, read 265,554 times
I would walk away and buy something else.

Old 09-24-2019, 10:11 PM

255 posts, read 54,892 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mathjak107 View Post
Something is wrong with that answer ..... your clue report is like the credit reporting agency for insurers ...it lists every unreimbursed claim you got on your home and auto as well as certain claims track the property regardless of who actually filed ...every insurer access’s clue ......the property is either flagged or it isn’t in that report .....how an insurer scores that information in your insurance score is a separate issue ...but there is no such thing as one company saying it followed the property and two said it did not since it is either flagged in clue or it isn’t..

Your clue report or the property clue report are just one of the factors insurance companies use to create an insurance score which like a credit score is used to price you
There are many carriers that do not charge for single-issue claims on an address within the rating period, provided the named insured is not the same.

The OP's answer was absolutely correct.

Old Yesterday, 12:25 AM

2,410 posts, read 909,981 times
You can get a copy of the insurance adjuster report/estimate from the buyer as well as a copy of the repair bill from the contractor. It will show you exactly what was damaged, and what was done to repair it. No need to wonder. Then provide those to your inspector. Make sure inspector uses thermal imaging/moisture meter in walls adjoining where leak was.
You could also get a mold test for presence of mold spores in air.

Old Yesterday, 01:28 AM

73,574 posts, read 73,400,278 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skipito View Post
There are many carriers that do not charge for single-issue claims on an address within the rating period, provided the named insured is not the same.

The OP's answer was absolutely correct.
no , the op's answer was not correct ... you did not comprehend what i said if this is your reply .

the property is either flagged in clue or it isn't ..whether an insurer charges you more is at their discretion . you do know what a clue report is i hope.every single paid out claim goes in to clue ... whether they flag the property or not or just ding the claimant is something you can look and see .

but just because it is reported to clue does not mean the insurer has to surcharge it .

in fact many road side assistance programs that the insurers offer report to clue ... when you shop for insurance if you have to many jumps or tows that can portray you to an insurer as driving an ill maintained car .. run out of gas or lock your keys in the car ? that can portray you as not a very aware driver . all which can and have been surcharged when shopping ... whether or not an insurer will hold it against you or not is up to them ...

my jeep buddies found out how clue works when they got dropped for to many windshield claims and shopped for a new insurer.

all those windshields that were put in , here in ny cannot be surcharged by law by YOUR EXISTING COMPANY . however you can be dropped and all those windshield payments were all logged in their clue reports . the rates other insurers quoted them was very very high because of it because they can charge you while your own company can't .

so don't confuse what an insurer does with the fact you or the property may be accumulating dings in what amounts to your insurance credit report .

Last edited by mathjak107; Yesterday at 01:45 AM..

Old Yesterday, 09:24 AM

1,535 posts, read 2,288,547 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spottednikes View Post
You can get a copy of the insurance adjuster report/estimate from the buyer as well as a copy of the repair bill from the contractor. It will show you exactly what was damaged, and what was done to repair it. No need to wonder. Then provide those to your inspector. Make sure inspector uses thermal imaging/moisture meter in walls adjoining where leak was.
You could also get a mold test for presence of mold spores in air.
This is excellent advice!

Old Today, 12:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spokaneinvestor View Post
$5000 isn’t an unusual deductible at all in my market. The deductible on my primary home is $7500 and secondary home is $11000 with State Farm.
It is extremely high in many markets. Insurance is very state-dependent.

Old Today, 12:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mathjak107 View Post
no , the op's answer was not correct ... you did not comprehend what i said if this is your reply .

the property is either flagged in clue or it isn't ..whether an insurer charges you more is at their discretion . you do know what a clue report is i hope.every single paid out claim goes in to clue ... whether they flag the property or not or just ding the claimant is something you can look and see .

but just because it is reported to clue does not mean the insurer has to surcharge it .

in fact many road side assistance programs that the insurers offer report to clue ... when you shop for insurance if you have to many jumps or tows that can portray you to an insurer as driving an ill maintained car .. run out of gas or lock your keys in the car ? that can portray you as not a very aware driver . all which can and have been surcharged when shopping ... whether or not an insurer will hold it against you or not is up to them ...

my jeep buddies found out how clue works when they got dropped for to many windshield claims and shopped for a new insurer.

all those windshields that were put in , here in ny cannot be surcharged by law by YOUR EXISTING COMPANY . however you can be dropped and all those windshield payments were all logged in their clue reports . the rates other insurers quoted them was very very high because of it because they can charge you while your own company can't .

so don't confuse what an insurer does with the fact you or the property may be accumulating dings in what amounts to your insurance credit report .
Trust me when I tell you that you’ve convoluted some points here.

I don’t want to derail the OP’s thread and I’d be glad to take this to another one if you’d like.

Old Today, 02:13 AM

73,574 posts, read 73,400,278 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skipito View Post
Trust me when I tell you that you’ve convoluted some points here.

I don’t want to derail the OP’s thread and I’d be glad to take this to another one if you’d like.
then take it to another thread because what i said is spot on about clue .
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or