U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old Today, 03:48 AM

73,574 posts, read 73,400,278 times

Advertisements

for those interested in clue here is a brief explanation as well as how to utilize it

“You can’t pull someone else’s home CLUE report, but you can request that the seller pull it and provide it for you,” Adams said. “If you get the report and you see a lot of burglary claims or damage that seems to persist, that would be a red flag.”

Is it covered? Check your car/home insurance IQ

And even if you don’t see anything big on a CLUE report that deters you from purchasing, remember that insurance companies may penalize you for the claims history of the property. That means if there have been a lot of little claims on your new home, you can expect to pay more for insurance even after the property changes hands.

“The prior owner of a property could influence the rate that you pay for insurance,” Adams said. “I don’t think many people realize that.”
"

https://www.usatoday.com/story/money...ates/94291646/
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old Today, 06:05 AM

10,699 posts, read 12,620,063 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by David_2019 View Post
I would like some opinions on my current situation:

Seller as accepted offer but I have not received their disclosures yet. I should be getting them in a couple of days. In the meantime, I started getting a quote for hazard insurance the day after the offer was accepted to make sure that it was not crazy high. The insurance company informed me that there was an $18K water damage claim in the middle of February 2019.

I spoke with my realtor and he checked with the listing realtor, and he stated it was a water leak on the 2nd Floor Master Bedroom Balcony. Since the current owners had a baby, they repaired and replaced everything in that section to make sure it was fixed properly and that there would be no mold.

The interior of the house was also repainted; therefore, there was no visible water damage or staining.

Timeline:

February 18, 2019: Water Damage Claim (~$18K)

May 8, 2019: House Listed for Sale

Besides reviewing the disclosures, the house inspection and mold inspection, what other inspections should I have done?

Anyone think the timeline, repainting the interior and listing the house for sale in such a short window means that the sellers are hiding something? Or am I reading too much into it?

$18K in water damage seems to be a significant amount; especially, for a balcony, unless the water pipes were going underneath it to the rest of the house.

I have the inspection scheduled this week but since this is the first "used" housed I have purchased, I am pretty much a "first time home buyer". The previous two houses, I purchased were new construction.

What are some things, I need to make sure to look out for? Would love to get opinions, recommendations and insight.

Thank you

18K seems minor to me...........A neighbor had a water supply pipe break under the slab, flooded the first floor. Her claim was almost 100K.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or