U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-24-2019, 10:24 AM

3,748 posts, read 5,024,110 times

Advertisements

hi everyone,
There's currently a contract we have on a home, and there are two sets of information regarding the square footage listed in MLS and in the pictures/plat. The MLS shows the sq footage at about 7k and there are floor plan images in the listing that show the sq. footage of the home at around 6400 with totals for each of the 3 floors.
Our offer was based on the 7k sq footage of course as that's the one plastered everywhere in all the ads. but from the beginning, i kept thinking how this doesn't feel like 7k....and everyone said i was crazy. now, we noticed that the floor plan images have a count for the sq footage of each floor, effectively showing the total as 700 fewer sq feet.

i know some will look at this and say mehh......not a big deal....it's still "huge"....but I personally think it makes a difference. An appraisal was done recently, but we don't know the outcome yet. i know they "measure" during the appraisal, but i'm not sure they'll do a thorough job doing so to get to the bottom of it, since all they're going by is the 7k noted in the docs, and as long as 'it's close enough', i feel like they'll just mark is as OK.

any advice would be appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-24-2019, 10:44 AM

1,617 posts, read 2,185,352 times
What’s the tax record state?

Old 09-24-2019, 10:48 AM

131 posts, read 62,201 times
To get the correct and exact square footage you have to go by the public records which you can look up online by the county you are purchasing in. Everyone goes based off of the square footage on public records. A 700 square foot difference is not off by that much. It would be concerning if it was a few thousand square feet off. Also, fyi basements are not considered part of the square footage on public records but a lot of realtors just like to add in the square footage of the finished basement but appraisers do not count/include finished basements in their reports.

Old 09-24-2019, 10:49 AM

4,254 posts, read 7,516,298 times
What jumps out to me is a typical 3 car garage is about 700 sq feet. So this might be there the confusion lies. The garage should not be counted.

Old 09-24-2019, 10:50 AM

2,669 posts, read 5,421,878 times
Since anything in the MLS listing is "best info" but not guaranteed...OP should get out his ruler, measure himself, and either make the offer accordingly or pass on the property.

OR he could do a search for "square footage" and read the numerous discussions of the different (often equally valid) ways of measuring square footage, and the other numerous discussions of whether it matters anyway.

Personally I buy steaks by the pound and carpet by the square yard but I buy houses by the unit.

Old 09-24-2019, 11:20 AM

346 posts, read 218,776 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rational1 View Post
Personally I buy steaks by the pound and carpet by the square yard but I buy houses by the unit.
@rational1, your name suits you!

Old 09-24-2019, 11:22 AM

9,171 posts, read 18,270,077 times
See how the appraisal comes back and go from there. I know most MLS' have a +/- allowed for error on SF. Ours is 10% so that will fall within the allowable error. I've never known an agent to intentionally be off on that by such a significant amount, but sometimes errors happen. I like to work off of a previous appraisal if there is one with a measurement or tax records if not.

Old 09-24-2019, 11:22 AM

14,119 posts, read 33,337,099 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by possibleyou View Post
To get the correct and exact square footage you have to go by the public records which you can look up online by the county you are purchasing in. Everyone goes based off of the square footage on public records. A 700 square foot difference is not off by that much. It would be concerning if it was a few thousand square feet off. Also, fyi basements are not considered part of the square footage on public records but a lot of realtors just like to add in the square footage of the finished basement but appraisers do not count/include finished basements in their reports.
Yes appraisers include basements in their reports and give credit to finished basements. They just aren't considered part of the above-ground square footage which is what gets listed as the square footage on an appraisal. Real estate agents generally used finished square footage in their marketing as what we do is different than what appraisers do.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Okey Dokie View Post
What jumps out to me is a typical 3 car garage is about 700 sq feet. So this might be there the confusion lies. The garage should not be counted.
This is what I was going to say. It almost sounds like the advertised square footage is the gross square footage which includes the garage.

Old 09-24-2019, 11:40 AM

10,050 posts, read 7,550,961 times
If there was a sketch/layout performed by a measuring service, that should be accurate.

I'd say the tax-reported square footage, when a layout exists, is NOT accurate; even if that's what's used locally by the MLS. ie, there ARE MLS' which just use the tax figure, but a separately drawn layout with exterior measurements should be accurate since you know someone pulled a tape. The one thing you do NOT do is add up room spaces.

I *doubt* garage space is included, but that would be a local MLS rule.

Old 09-24-2019, 11:58 AM

3,748 posts, read 5,024,110 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Silverfall View Post
Yes appraisers include basements in their reports and give credit to finished basements. They just aren't considered part of the above-ground square footage which is what gets listed as the square footage on an appraisal. Real estate agents generally used finished square footage in their marketing as what we do is different than what appraisers do.

This is what I was going to say. It almost sounds like the advertised square footage is the gross square footage which includes the garage.
that may be.....but the listing SPECIFICALLY says: above grade finished sqft: x below grade finished sqft: y totaling to 7k.

then, in the floor layout pictures, it says first floor, a, second floor b, basement c......totaling to 6300.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or