Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-24-2019, 02:41 PM

19,024 posts, read 27,585,087 times

Advertisements

My rental property is adjacent to a private road with 4 mobile homes on it.
Dead end home owner did a garage sale about 2 months ago and then just left "stuff" as is.
Now that rainy season is back in our state of WA, plus fall storms, all the leftovers are getting marinated in the rain, tents torn by wind, plastic covers and small light items flying everywhere.
Neighbor across that street, good pal of mine, talked to that owner few times asking her to clean up the street. No response, she said "I'll be doing another g sale" and that's it.
They called sheriff office, deputy finally showed up, talked to owner, turned around and "advised" to "have this resolved with the neighbor".
When asked, if it will be Ok to bring pickup truck and just clean it themselves, he replied that it will be illegal and they can't do it.
Now my buddy is stuck with street that looks like dump and non responsive owner who simply ignores them.

Any functional suggestions? County and municipality will not get involved as "this is private road and civil matter".

They are trying to keep the street clean and plan on moving out and renting their mobile home. Of course, with street looking like that, renting becomes problematic. They do not have access blocked to their property, though neighbor once did put barricades across the street claiming it as "private proprty do not enter" but removed them when asked to do so.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-24-2019, 02:47 PM

Visual aid.
Her property line is where you see red lines, or right at the container edge. Though she claims it to be much more into the street.
It's been left like this for weeks.
Attached Thumbnails
Private road maintenance conundrum-capture.jpg  

Old 09-24-2019, 02:48 PM

34,088 posts, read 82,953,336 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ukrkoz View Post
My rental property is adjacent to a private road with 4 mobile homes on it.
Dead end home owner did a garage sale about 2 months ago and then just left "stuff" as is.
County and municipality will not get involved as "this is private road and civil matter".
The fellow landowners of Mr DeadEnd need to have a chat with him.
If they show up for that chat with empty pick up trucks...

Old 09-24-2019, 03:00 PM

Problem is, one owner over is smoke buddy with dead end owner woman. Yes, that smoke. Owners go like this: from arterial in - newly moved in couple, don't care, on the opposite end from them>smoke buddy female> my buddy with 3 kids who turned dump he bought into modern nice place> dead end owner who "has issues". Once searched by police for 6 hrs. Yes. That type. Talking does not go far with them.
Sheriff deputy clearly said - don't touch their crap.
Besides, talking was already done.

Last edited by ukrkoz; 09-24-2019 at 03:10 PM..

Old 09-24-2019, 03:10 PM

14,472 posts, read 12,101,318 times
I think there's one question that still needs to be asked....

You asked her to clean it up, and she hasn't...
You asked the Deputy if you could just go in and clean it up (without permission), and were told no....

But have you asked her for permission for you to clean it up?

Even if she doesn't want to junk all of it, folding up the umbrellas and stacking them neater would help... and keep them from taking flight in our first winter wind storm. Maybe she'd give permission to do that and break the tables down and tidy it up.

Old 09-24-2019, 03:12 PM

23,281 posts, read 18,810,120 times
Quote:
Problem is, one owner over is smoke buddy from dead end owner. Yes, that smoke. Owners go like this: from arterial in - newly moved in couple, don't care, on the opposite end from them>smoke buddy female> my buddy with 3 kids who turned dump he bought into modern nice place> dead end owner who "has issues". Once searched by police for 6 hrs. Yes. That type. Talking does not go far with them.
Sheriff deputy clearly said - don't touch their crap.
Besides, talking was already done.
Then I guess you're done. Unless you can prove some sort of code violation (dumping waste, hazardous contamination leaching into the soil, attractive nuisance for scavengers or vandals). It is their stuff on their property. You do not own it nor do you own the property you live on. You should inform your LL, but if they're not bothered...

Old 09-24-2019, 04:00 PM

34,088 posts, read 82,953,336 times
Quote:
Problem is...talking was already done.
Talk some more.
Come with empty pick up trucks.

Old 09-24-2019, 04:02 PM

Truly, "stuff" is not in her property, it's in the private road. About 20 feet past her property line.
But, as this is "private road", authorities refuse to take any action - unless it's "some sort of code violation (dumping waste, hazardous contamination leaching into the soil, attractive nuisance for scavengers or vandals)".
I agree. I had a neighbor across my property (one with fence and gate) who had pile of rubbish windows high and 80 feet or so in diameter, including oil cans, paint cans, just household waste - he didn't have waste service and simply dumped everything out the window. County did step in and wrote him up but about same time he was foreclosed and place flipped.

So yes, that's what I told my buddy. You are pretty much at mercy of a neighbor who "has her rights", making your place look like dump, including. Free country.

Old 09-24-2019, 04:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrRational View Post
Talk some more.
Come with empty pick up trucks.

Brother, you can't take her stuff. It's theft.

Old 09-24-2019, 04:13 PM

14,472 posts, read 12,101,318 times
Have you actually asked her if you can haul or tidy up any of it?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate