U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-26-2019, 07:37 AM

132 posts, read 33,084 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by markjames68 View Post
It was clear that the market dictated staging a home appropriately. Yet neither agent - both ones with many previous sales and "top producers" - thought to suggest it.
Same with our agent. He barely walked through the home the one time he was here. Made absolutely no suggestions about how to better present our home both in person or through our pictures. He hasn’t been to our home since over a month ago. Everything we learned about staging and decluttering, we’ve picked up online. But even then, there are so many different opinions about staging. Some argue that a minimalist perspective is optimal, while others argue that you need to give them ideas of how furniture and decor would look in the home. At the end of the day, they’re highly subjective, personal opinions. Nobody has yet to produce a statistical analysis to me about the benefits of one version of staging over another.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-26-2019, 07:42 AM

6,775 posts, read 3,747,180 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by iSudo View Post
Same with our agent. He barely walked through the home the one time he was here. Made absolutely no suggestions about how to better present our home both in person or through our pictures. He hasn’t been to our home since over a month ago. Everything we learned about staging and decluttering, we’ve picked up online. But even then, there are so many different opinions about staging. Some argue that a minimalist perspective is optimal, while others argue that you need to give them ideas of how furniture and decor would look in the home. At the end of the day, they’re highly subjective, personal opinions. Nobody has yet to produce a statistical analysis to me about the benefits of one version of staging over another.
From what I've seen it's very much market-dependent.

The furniture style, artwork, etc. has to match the market expectations.

Modern works in one area, traditional another, beachy a third, etc. You wouldn't do ultra dark/traditional in a beach community, nor would you do a beach look in a suburban HOA community far inland.

Ironically our home's style and look would have been perfect, except for 2 things - one, we were gone (and with our furniture) so it wasn't around and two, with 2 children the bedrooms didn't match what the market's expectations were (largely retirees).

I think your point about "how furniture and decor would look in the home" is spot on. My wife has an amazing eye and when we bought our current home which was 95% empty she knew exactly what would go where. And she was right. But it was on the market for a year despite price reductions (we were VERY pleased for a change with our purchase) and I suspect many buyers couldn't visualize things.

Old 09-26-2019, 08:22 AM

19,057 posts, read 21,038,402 times
The buyers need to understand that if they want a house with all the things they want to start with they need to go buy a new house and have the inside done to their taste. Otherwise you’re stuck with whatever design the seller has. Once you buy it you can paint change and do as you please. But it’s idiotic to expect a significant price drop because you don’t like the flooring or wall color. I mean why are you even contemplating buying it?

When I bought our newest house the carpet was baby blue and baby pink. Cheap clearance tile in the bathrooms, kitchen was original down to the stove. None of that made any difference. I would prefer a empty house. Now you can see all the issues uncluttered by furniture drapes, posters etc.

Old 09-26-2019, 08:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Electrician4you View Post
The buyers need to understand that if they want a house with all the things they want to start with they need to go buy a new house and have the inside done to their taste. Otherwise you’re stuck with whatever design the seller has. Once you buy it you can paint change and do as you please. But it’s idiotic to expect a significant price drop because you don’t like the flooring or wall color. I mean why are you even contemplating buying it?

When I bought our newest house the carpet was baby blue and baby pink. Cheap clearance tile in the bathrooms, kitchen was original down to the stove. None of that made any difference. I would prefer a empty house. Now you can see all the issues uncluttered by furniture drapes, posters etc.
100% agree with you. This is a rational viewpoint. But I've discovered that many humans are wildly irrational when it comes to buying a home. Whenever I have walked into a home I was considering purchasing, I paid no attention to any of their personal items, furniture, pets, or decor. The only thing that matters is the condition, updates - what am I going to need to do to get this updated, and square footage. Everything else is up to me to change to my personal preference once I move in.

Old 09-26-2019, 02:11 PM

6,775 posts, read 3,747,180 times
Quote:
100% agree with you. This is a rational viewpoint. But I've discovered that many humans are wildly irrational when it comes to buying a home. Whenever I have walked into a home I was considering purchasing, I paid no attention to any of their personal items, furniture, pets, or decor. The only thing that matters is the condition, updates - what am I going to need to do to get this updated, and square footage. Everything else is up to me to change to my personal preference once I move in.
Blame HGTV - first time buyers expect gray subway tile, barn doors, stainless everything and shiplap. Plus I think most aren't handy enough to tackle any tasks themselves, so they get sticker shock pricing out the renovations (nobody works cheaply like those guys on HGTV).

Old 09-26-2019, 02:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by markjames68 View Post
Blame HGTV - first time buyers expect gray subway tile, barn doors, stainless everything and shiplap. Plus I think most aren't handy enough to tackle any tasks themselves, so they get sticker shock pricing out the renovations (nobody works cheaply like those guys on HGTV).
I blame people for thinking that they're going to get the home they've dreamed up in their minds, in the booming location they want, that no other living soul has lived in, from anything other than a new build that they've helped design.

Old 09-26-2019, 07:02 PM

3,856 posts, read 9,400,924 times
Quote:
I blame people for thinking that they're going to get the home they've dreamed up in their minds, in the booming location they want, that no other living soul has lived in, from anything other than a new build that they've helped design.
Yup, champagne taste and beer money.

Old 09-26-2019, 08:15 PM

19,057 posts, read 21,038,402 times
Quote:
Exactly. The house had everything I wanted. 3 car garage RV access 1/2 acre good size kitchen 4 bedrooms tons of room for everything. The carpet tile and paint...could of cared less. I was worried about structural issues,old AC system. The kitchen....I knew t was gonna be torn out in a year or two. We just got done with the kitchen and tile. He only carpet to replace is in the bedrooms. That’s gonna be done beginning of the year.

But yes you’re right people are irrational.

Old 09-27-2019, 06:38 AM

567 posts, read 214,016 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bande1102 View Post
The ability to sell a house (from my perspective as a home seller). As simple and complicated as that, in no particular order:

1) the ability to accurately price a house
2) the ability to understand market indicators
3) the flexibility to adapt to the market
4) the ability to sell benefits and features instead of a "house" and this should be reflected in a good listing write-up
5) great follow-up skills
6) an amazing network of other agents, handymen, contractors, etc
7) a good reputation, ethical, honest
Absolutely this^

We've used so many agents both buying and selling and agents that fit this list are rare.
And of course we don't know who is bad until it's almost too late so we always add a "get out" clause to our listing agreement so we can dump a bad one (and have done do).

We're signing a new "sell" listing very soon and for the first time are using the same agent because he proved himself a year and a half ago when he sold another small property. Fantastic communication, good advice, always calm and always on top of what's happening. Intelligent. Not lazy as so many are after they get the listing.

At last sale at the very last minute the buyers mortgage broker required specific things be done and our broker stepped up to get it done at no cost to us, helped the buyer in other words. Later that year he was named "Realtor of the Year" for our area but when we hired him he was relatively new.

Old 09-27-2019, 08:06 AM

6,012 posts, read 6,887,371 times
Lots of good notes in this thread.

I would add people who are good in the "back office' stuff. Getting the details taken care of behind the scenes. Grunt work , but the things which make a deal happen as opposed to finding out at closing that certain things weren't taken care of, paperwork is incomplete, or final numbers are inaccurate.

Phone calls returned promptly. Ability to message and email. Full time (it's a job and NOT a hobby or Christmas money source).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or