U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-30-2019, 02:20 PM

3,967 posts, read 2,732,694 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ginan View Post
iSudo, would you look for the same things in an agent that was helping you buy a house?

I ask because I am feeling the same way with the person we're using (we're buying though). Not enough guidance, vague suggestions, no real concrete analysis of anything. But sometimes I wonder if I'm expecting too much.
Set some expectations with your agent. Just like there is a wide variety in agents; there is a wide variety in buyers. Some want/need more guidance/input from the agent than others. If you feel your agent is holding back/being too vague....let them know. Many agents will sometimes err on the side of caution of inserting their thoughts/opinions into the search or transaction as long as doing so doesn't conflict with fiduciary responsibilities (IE...if you want to offer asking price or over on a home that is clearly over-priced)...unless it is made apparent otherwise.

If your agent knows their ish...chances are they are holding back to not step on your toes and hopefully when you ask them for more input; they'll happily oblige. If you are finding big surprises with regards to what to expect in a transaction, market conditions, and/or you ask them a specific question and you get a dear-in-headlights reaction (unless answering your question would violate Fair Housing laws)....might be better to move on and find an agent who is a better fit.
Quick reply to this message

Old 09-30-2019, 02:32 PM

511 posts, read 537,350 times
What do you expect from him that makes you feel he is not doing his job?
The reason a property sells is price, location and condition and lastly the effort of the agent.
All 4 are very important. You are right. In days of old, if you had a pulse and a license, you sold enough to make a decent living without any effort or out-of-pocket expenses.
Marketing is key in this day and age. Realtors are notoriously cheap and will not spend their money to market your home, much less market themselves so the buying public beats a path to their door.

Old 09-30-2019, 05:27 PM

6,770 posts, read 3,747,180 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LynnKrause1 View Post
What do you expect from him that makes you feel he is not doing his job?
The reason a property sells is price, location and condition and lastly the effort of the agent.
All 4 are very important. You are right. In days of old, if you had a pulse and a license, you sold enough to make a decent living without any effort or out-of-pocket expenses.
Marketing is key in this day and age. Realtors are notoriously cheap and will not spend their money to market your home, much less market themselves so the buying public beats a path to their door.
Another pet peeve - when an agent makes a big deal about putting up pictures on a website, a video walkthrough or a brochure - all table stakes in today’s digital world.

Old Yesterday, 07:49 PM

102 posts, read 57,475 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TarHeelNick View Post
Set some expectations with your agent. Just like there is a wide variety in agents; there is a wide variety in buyers. Some want/need more guidance/input from the agent than others. If you feel your agent is holding back/being too vague....let them know. Many agents will sometimes err on the side of caution of inserting their thoughts/opinions into the search or transaction as long as doing so doesn't conflict with fiduciary responsibilities (IE...if you want to offer asking price or over on a home that is clearly over-priced)...unless it is made apparent otherwise.

If your agent knows their ish...chances are they are holding back to not step on your toes and hopefully when you ask them for more input; they'll happily oblige. If you are finding big surprises with regards to what to expect in a transaction, market conditions, and/or you ask them a specific question and you get a dear-in-headlights reaction (unless answering your question would violate Fair Housing laws)....might be better to move on and find an agent who is a better fit.
Thanks TarHeeNick.

Right - lately I've been wondering if some of the things I ask he's not allowed to comment on.

For example, I'll ask about certain things that I feel the house is lacking that may be a point / disadvantage at time of resale. One house, for example, had very small closets in the master bedroom. No matter how I asked the question the most I got was something along the lines of "I could see what you're saying about the closets." When I asked for some comps - he sent me basically everything that had been on sale in the same community for the last year. No analysis. No clear guidance. He did tell me a # we should bid at - so I started thinking to myself, well, maybe that's all that counts, that *he* knows the right #. It's just that I would have felt better understanding some of the thinking behind it. And if what I want to offer is unrealistic I'd like them to explain why, and being able to look at the comps helps. We love that he's not pushy and is pleasant and he has pointed out certain things to watch out for (like possible water damage, things like that) but when I look for guidance on specific things the feedback seems vague. At the same time I'd like for him to point out if we're about to pass on something that he deems a good buy - but he doesn't seem to do that either so we're at a loss sometimes. We thought buyer's agents were supposed to offer more guidance like that.

Old Today, 11:42 AM

136 posts, read 51,795 times
We had a pretty poor buyers realtor for our first home purchase 5 years ago. I didn't realize how poor she was until recently. We are in the process of purchasing a second lake home and using a different realtor as the location is 30 miles away from us and in NJ terms, basically a world apart.

The first realtor was a family friend. She tried to steer us to towns we weren't interested in at all. She kind of talked down the places that we were focused on and did like in favor of them. She wasn't the easiest to get in touch with and her schedule just didn't seem to line up with ours. We ended up purchasing a home that we went to an open house for alone and made an offer that same day. In the end, she wasn't really necessary.

This new realtor has been so phenomenal, I keep telling my husband that we will need to recommend her anytime we hear someone plans on moving to that area. I basically contacted her to get in the front door of a lake house I had been following online for years. That one ended up not working out so I initiated the viewing of another house. We are total newbies in this area of septics, wells, lake properties, etc. She has answered every single question, and has dealt swiftly with the selling realtor on many issues that the home has (sellers are currently installing a new septic and fixing the well as test results failed so this process has dragged out for 2 months now). She is easy to reach, texts me with every single update, is proactive with following up and is just all around a helpful person. She has gone out of her way to help us despite the super low price of the home (a full 3% cut would be under $6,000 for her) and we really appreciate it.

We have never sold a home so I have no experience with what makes a good selling agent.

Old Today, 11:47 AM

6,370 posts, read 3,560,114 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wherewhatwho View Post

We have never sold a home so I have no experience with what makes a good selling agent.

IMHO... I would value the same traits you list above for your buyer's agent. Responsiveness and helpfulness. Listening. Problem solving! Can-do attitude instead of reasons they can't do that. No two transactions are alike. I think our most important skill is being able to think and solve the issues you *don't* expect.

Old Today, 11:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ginan View Post
Thanks TarHeeNick.

Right - lately I've been wondering if some of the things I ask he's not allowed to comment on.

The only things we're not allowed to comment on are fair housing issues... we usually can't comment on people... we can usually comment on places and buildings... if we know the answer. Buildings aren't protected.

Old Today, 12:03 PM

136 posts, read 51,795 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Diana Holbrook View Post
IMHO... I would value the same traits you list above for your buyer's agent. Responsiveness and helpfulness. Listening. Problem solving! Can-do attitude instead of reasons they can't do that. No two transactions are alike. I think our most important skill is being able to think and solve the issues you *don't* expect.
I agree! I am hoping that if/when the time comes to sell a house, that our current buyers agent is still around! If not, at least her daughter is in the business too, haha.

The most value she has added has come from the areas where we were just so clueless but was second nature to her because she is familiar with the geographical area. She has a great list of contacts as well and we have been happy with all work done by her recommended vendors. Yeah, loooots of issues with this house.

I also want to add that my in-laws are currently using our first buyers agent as their sellers agent for their home. (She is their friend and how we connected with her). They are not having much success and there is a lot my husband and I think could be changed on the listing She encouraged them to list when they did even though they could have waited until spring and has not listened to too much feedback. I think she's more focused on a large payday (over $25k in this case)

Old Today, 12:20 PM

102 posts, read 57,475 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Diana Holbrook View Post
The only things we're not allowed to comment on are fair housing issues... we usually can't comment on people... we can usually comment on places and buildings... if we know the answer. Buildings aren't protected.
This is extremely helpful to know.

I don't understand, then, why the holding back of specific information when I specifically request it...it's a bit frustrating. We feel that we might have acted quicker on a house we saw (we found out 2 days later when we wanted to make an offer that the seller had already accepted a bid, and shortly after was taken off the market) if we had gotten some indication from him that the house was kind of a good buy for us as it had many of the things we were looking for and one of the best backyards we had seen. 2 days later when we realized on our own it was the closest thing we had seen for what we want, it was too late. I don't know if those couple of days would have made a difference but had he simply said anything, or responded to our email asking for his thoughts the next day who knows.

Old Today, 01:00 PM

I don't know if he's holding back, or just doesn't know.

Figuring out people is one of the hardest parts about this job. You all are not as easy to predict as you think!

I have had clients choose the house I never would have predicted... I've had them pass up on the house I thought was perfect. People are nothing if not funny. But the longer we know a particular client, hopefully, we learn. AND you learn.

Tell me, on the house you wish he'd spoken up about... Did you actually need the Realtor to speak up more... (could he have known better than you it was the one?) OR do you need learn to trust your own instincts more?

I really try not to sell houses. I think the houses should sell themselves. I just try to help the people do what they decide they want to do.

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or