Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-27-2019, 02:24 PM

43 posts, read 21,271 times

Advertisements

I would like to sell my home, but I am having issues with the realtor. I told him where I needed to be, he said we should be able to get there. He asked what's my bottom dollar, I told him, he said we should be able to get there. It's been online 60 days, not one visit, yet online there's been 54 saves and nearly 10k in views, yet no inquiries. I thought that was weird, so I asked my sister (different last name, same State) to show interest thru Trulia. That was two weeks ago, he never contacted her to follow up. I asked him for a video walkthrough as that was what a lot of neighbors are doing, he said we didn't need it. I then asked him to re-arrange the pictures online this week, he said sure, but hasn't done it yet. The first pic is a picture of the backyard, and you cannot even see the home.

He then tells me he doesn't like that we have no interest and says our interests are not on the same page. He said we need to cut the price by 20%. I said, I cannot do that and I told you what my min. was and you agreed. Then he sent me some text messages stating that my house is great, but needs 75k in repairs in landscaping and a finished basement. No name on the text or reference on the address, but other one's liked the house, just not the neighborhood. Here's the thing, the landscaping is taken care of weekly and is immaculate. I showed that text to others and they looked puzzled too. In addition, the text said the basement needed finishing.. Interesting when the basement is completely finished with a wet bar, kitchen, couch and entertainment area. It was done in 2015. So I do not know what this guy is talking about. I think he just through the IM as it was dated two days later than when he asked the person the question.

Any suggestions on what to do?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-27-2019, 02:37 PM

571 posts, read 321,541 times
Look at your listing agreement to find out if there are any formal requirements for terminating. Ask to have your listing removed. Ask your agent to terminate your listing agreement. If they are difficult, ask their broker to terminate your listing agreement.

I just went through this recently, and it was met with no resistance by my agent. He probably knew we were on this path for some time now though.

Old 09-27-2019, 03:02 PM

4,612 posts, read 7,529,570 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by iSudo View Post
Look at your listing agreement to find out if there are any formal requirements for terminating. Ask to have your listing removed. Ask your agent to terminate your listing agreement. If they are difficult, ask their broker to terminate your listing agreement.

I just went through this recently, and it was met with no resistance by my agent. He probably knew we were on this path for some time now though.
Another option is to contact the broker and ask that your listing be moved to another agent in their office that would be a better fit for you, one that is more aggressive about marketing.

If that is not an option, then yes, I would ask the broker to terminate the listing so that you and the broker can part amicably. Most brokers would rather release a listing than have an unhappy seller complaining to others on the internet.

For your next listing agent, I would suggest having an in depth conversation with them about what you want to see in the way of marketing. If you have specific things you want done, such as professional listing photos, then have them added into your listing contract as an additional term. Or have the agent's written marketing plan for your home added as an addendum to your listing contract. Then there are no misunderstandings later about your expectations from your new listing agent.

Old 09-27-2019, 03:59 PM

49,932 posts, read 59,901,366 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TeacherMichael View Post

I told him where I needed to be...

He said we need to cut the price by 20% I said, I cannot do that and I told you what my min. was ...
You don't decide what your home is worth. The market does.

No showings at all means it's overpriced. Your agent should have done a market analysis to know what similar homes in your area are selling for, and then you set your price according to that, taking into account the condition of your house.

He may be a bad agent, but it sounds like you don't understand the home selling process either.

Old 09-27-2019, 05:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BirdieBelle View Post
You don't decide what your home is worth. The market does.

No showings at all means it's overpriced. Your agent should have done a market analysis to know what similar homes in your area are selling for, and then you set your price according to that, taking into account the condition of your house.

He may be a bad agent, but it sounds like you don't understand the home selling process either.
Two older homes sold on my block for more than what I am asking. Mine was priced within comps, but thanks for your feedback.

Old 09-27-2019, 06:06 PM

Quote:
Two older homes sold on my block for more than what I am asking. Mine was priced within comps, but thanks for your feedback.
"Older" isn't always a bad thing, at least in terms of historic homes. Were those older homes more updated than yours?

People are seeing your listing. They are noting your home, but something about it makes them not even want to schedule a showing.

So what could it be that they are seeing on the listing? Unless you have some glaring environmental issue next door, price is the leading factor.

Old 09-27-2019, 06:25 PM

25,118 posts, read 16,198,148 times
you should contact his managing broker, which is relatively easy to find. Meet with the managing broker. Ask for your release, or demand a different agent that you meet with and approve of.

if HE'S the managing broker, then simply ask for your release before you find it necessary to rate him negatively online, or to report him to the state Real Estate Commission.

Old 09-27-2019, 06:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BirdieBelle View Post
"Older" isn't always a bad thing, at least in terms of historic homes. Were those older homes more updated than yours?

People are seeing your listing. They are noting your home, but something about it makes them not even want to schedule a showing.

So what could it be that they are seeing on the listing? Unless you have some glaring environmental issue next door, price is the leading factor.
I think the issue that some people are missing is the agent is not responding to interested buyers. That's my issue. Again, after six weeks of no interest, we had someone some a request for information on the property, the agent never responded.

Old 09-27-2019, 06:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoBromhal View Post
you should contact his managing broker, which is relatively easy to find. Meet with the managing broker. Ask for your release, or demand a different agent that you meet with and approve of.

if HE'S the managing broker, then simply ask for your release before you find it necessary to rate him negatively online, or to report him to the state Real Estate Commission.
I'd hope it not come to that. I rather not have to give ultimatums. Not sure what else to do.

Old 09-27-2019, 07:16 PM

Quote:
I think the issue that some people are missing is the agent is not responding to interested buyers. That's my issue. Again, after six weeks of no interest, we had someone some a request for information on the property, the agent never responded.
Sure, he could have replied. I agree that he obviously sounds unmotivated. But that's not usually the way most buyers operate, emailing agents based on an internet listing. But an online query is just that - another form of looky-loo.

Buyers' agents should be scheduling showings. Is your house listed on the MLS???
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate