U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-25-2019, 08:09 AM

118 posts, read 25,000 times

Advertisements

I've only worked with one, and we've only continued with him because of our success and experience in the past. But I'm suspecting that much of that success was attributed to a fire hot real estate market where everything happened so quickly that there was no time to sit back, analyze, and troubleshoot. As I've worked with him during a slower market, I'm beginning to realize things I don't like about him. Essentially, he has listed our house on the MLS and held a couple of open houses that I wasn't wild about to begin with. But he has provided little to no other services or expertise beyond that.

I work in the brokerage/consulting world in another industry, but we go miles above and beyond in service to our clients. We're not just pushing them towards products or services we like or have relationships with, we are researching and analyzing and producing data and insights to them about their options so they can make informed decisions.

I feel like my agent has been nothing more than a glorified admin assistant or project coordinator, but not my adviser/consultant during this process. But granted, maybe this is the norm rather than the exception.

So what should we expect from an agent going forward? What separates the great from the mediocre?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-25-2019, 08:28 AM

9,171 posts, read 18,267,837 times
My list in no particular order. Others may disagree.

1-Having a combination of intelligence, knowledge, experience, and good problem solving skills
2-Caring/desire to help
3-Honesty
4-Good marketing platforms and equipment (need to have the income to budget and spend on these things)
5-Good communication skills
6-Good attitude and demeanor
7-The ability to handle stress. I've seen agents that possess the other attributes fall apart when they get stressed.

Old 09-25-2019, 08:37 AM

34,043 posts, read 59,218,308 times
Willing to listen to what is important to you.

Willing to inquire what is important to you.

Is your current agent failing in either or both of these attributes?

Old 09-25-2019, 08:39 AM

3,951 posts, read 2,723,771 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brandon Hoffman View Post
My list in no particular order. Others may disagree.

1-Having a combination of intelligence, knowledge, experience, and good problem solving skills
2-Caring/desire to help
3-Honesty
4-Good marketing platforms and equipment (need to have the income to budget and spend on these things)
5-Good communication skills
6-Good attitude and demeanor
7-The ability to handle stress. I've seen agents that possess the other attributes fall apart when they get stressed.
I'd second all of this and add....humility.

Humility is the trait I see many agents, especially a lot of the "top producers", lacking.

The ability to genuinely listen to others and admit when one's own initial plan isn't working and to adjust plans and adapt accordingly. I think that specific trait separates quality agents with more integrity than most. JMHO.

Last edited by TarHeelNick; 09-25-2019 at 08:57 AM..

Old 09-25-2019, 08:53 AM

3,843 posts, read 9,389,136 times
The ability to sell a house (from my perspective as a home seller). As simple and complicated as that, in no particular order:

1) the ability to accurately price a house
2) the ability to understand market indicators
3) the flexibility to adapt to the market
4) the ability to sell benefits and features instead of a "house" and this should be reflected in a good listing write-up
5) great follow-up skills
6) an amazing network of other agents, handymen, contractors, etc
7) a good reputation, ethical, honest

Old 09-25-2019, 08:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeJaquish View Post
Willing to listen to what is important to you.

Willing to inquire what is important to you.

Is your current agent failing in either or both of these attributes?
Yes and no. I get the impression that he hears us, but I don't think he has been honest or transparent with us about what we have asked for in the current process.

Old 09-25-2019, 09:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bande1102 View Post
The ability to sell a house (from my perspective as a home seller). As simple and complicated as that, in no particular order:

1) the ability to accurately price a house
2) the ability to understand market indicators
3) the flexibility to adapt to the market
4) the ability to sell benefits and features instead of a "house" and this should be reflected in a good listing write-up
5) great follow-up skills
6) an amazing network of other agents, handymen, contractors, etc
7) a good reputation, ethical, honest
This right here hits on several key concerns.

I think he was excited and eager to get us listed, but he did not help us better understand points 1-4. On point 5, he's generally pretty good. On 6, I think he struggles with this. I have not seen it to be true whenever we've needed additional services. On 7, we've caught him in a suspected lie recently when he told us over the phone that he had an interested party in our home and would get back to us that evening. He called back later and said they backed out and offered their feedback. He then sent over the same feedback from the email he received from the interested agent, and it was time stamped from much earlier that afternoon. While maybe he had good intentions to drum up our anticipation, it demonstrated to us that he probably can't be trusted.

Old 09-25-2019, 09:38 AM

7,978 posts, read 8,045,997 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by iSudo View Post
This right here hits on several key concerns.

I think he was excited and eager to get us listed, but he did not help us better understand points 1-4. On point 5, he's generally pretty good. On 6, I think he struggles with this. I have not seen it to be true whenever we've needed additional services. On 7, we've caught him in a suspected lie recently when he told us over the phone that he had an interested party in our home and would get back to us that evening. He called back later and said they backed out and offered their feedback. He then sent over the same feedback from the email he received from the interested agent, and it was time stamped from much earlier that afternoon. While maybe he had good intentions to drum up our anticipation, it demonstrated to us that he probably can't be trusted.
If your trust in him is gone, the relationship is essentially over. You should be totally confident in the fact that your agent is honest, ethical, and is a strong advocate for your interests. Part of the problem with the industry is that it encourages and rewards divided loyalty. Things like dual agency and paying an agent a higher commission for representing both sides of the transaction.

So I would rate ethics as the number one factor, followed by demonstrable knowledge of pricing, followed by spending money on all the marketing tools such as professional photography, staging, drones, 3D tours, etc. Attention to detail and immediate response to developing problems should also be on the list of desired traits.

Old 09-25-2019, 09:39 AM

10,044 posts, read 7,545,625 times
rightly or wrongly, your relationship with your agent has been poisoned.

you mistrust him, because he received an email but told you he was waiting for feedback. It is entirely possible that he hadn't checked his email. Though we all learn one way or another how immediately folks expect us to be on top of everything.

you got some great ideas also in your other topic.

I'll summarize and repost; piggybacks on what MikeJ said above:

COMMUNICATION

Quote:
here's an issue - expectations and communication - an issue common in this topic.

For all, presumably the agent showed you some comps (and the other agents showed you some comps).

Please understand by nature - to clients' benefits - we are optimists. we are fortune tellers. we are trying to predict 30-90 days from now, not 60 days to 6 months ago. And we also want to meet our clients needs.

"I want to sell for the most possible." is understandably what we EXPECT the Sellers want. But it is incumbent upon us to ASK. Some Sellers - like the OP - want the FASTEST sale.

Highest price comps and fastest selling comps are sometimes different homes. Or, to compare your home to either has to occur. "We want top dollar" = "we're willing to spend money to get the condition 'perfect'". "We want to sell quickly" = "what did similar homes that did sell quickly do?" and "is there a seasonality or inventory difference from then to now" AND "what is our competition, and how do we price to entice someone to buy US over THEM"

When there's enough activity for a reasonable # of comps, and the ability to see seasonal trends, then your agent should be able to compare the season you're selling in to recent year(s) season.

And your agent should always be able to say "Here's how long we should expect it to take to sell"

Old 09-25-2019, 09:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoBromhal View Post
rightly or wrongly, your relationship with your agent has been poisoned.
There are compounding factors contributing towards this. There have been a number of times I've had to correct information on our listing or contracts. For instance, he didn't get our square footage correct on the contract and I had to ask him to update. Not a big deal, but there's more. Just recently, I had to help his marketing coordinator re-write our description 'blurb because there had been so many grammatical errors in the original description they crafted. Even after asking for those corrections before, they botched the update, and printed the botched update in a brochure for the open house. So I said 'screw it!' and re-wrote it for them.

He, in our humble opinion, has been careless and lackadaisical during this experience. He has not taken initiative on a lot of things; we've had to drill it out of him only after getting feedback and advice from friends & family, industry blogs, articles, and real estate forums. His method of selling seems to be in accordance with the 'post and pray' method. And I hate to be a nuisance of a client, but we don't generally hear from him about strategy or progress until we reach out to him and request it. I guess I just want someone who is going to take more command of this transaction rather than rely on us to do everything. I'm hired him expecting to receive consulting services, but he's basically been our admin asking us for direction around every corner.

My apologies for the vent.

Last edited by iSudo; 09-25-2019 at 10:09 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or