U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-25-2019, 08:51 AM

202 posts, read 121,296 times

Advertisements

CPA: "Land is never depreciable, although buildings can depreciate"

Does that mean land is more valuable than the building?

Is it true land never depreciate therefore making it a "fixed" asset?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-25-2019, 09:03 AM

11,401 posts, read 8,097,971 times
Never say never, it can depreciate if they find something toxic on it or if they find a sink hole.

Land can depreciate if no one wants to buy it or if the area becomes bad. Or if they force you to put city water and sewer on it and get rid of well and septic

I would not say never I would say generally doesn't depreciate.

Land is not more valuable than the building. We have lots in my area for about $10K that's all it's worth, If you build a small $100K home it's now worth $110K or more.

Also depreciable may not be the same as depreciates. Depreciable to me means it can not be deducted as a losing asset.

Old 09-25-2019, 09:17 AM

168 posts, read 37,361 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LifeIsGood01 View Post
Never say never, it can depreciate if they find something toxic on it or if they find a sink hole.

Land can depreciate if no one wants to buy it or if the area becomes bad. Or if they force you to put city water and sewer on it and get rid of well and septic

Land is not more valuable than the building. We have lots in my area for about $10K that's all it's worth, If you build a small $100K home it's now worth $110K or more.

Also depreciable may not be the same as depreciates. Depreciable to me means it can not be deducted as a losing asset.
See first bolded section above = that event would be considered an impairment not depreciation. Depreciation, in tax accountancy parlance, means a scheduled decrease in value each accounting period based on wear.

See second bolded section above = Land can be much more valuable than the building ... NYC, SF and Seattle come to mind where a small city lot with a old unstable building can fetch tremendous value for the land and tear down value for the building.

For tax purposes, land never depreciates however its value can be impaired by any number of events. Impairment is not something that can be deducted as depreciation. However, if the land is impaired and the resulting amount realized when sold is less, the seller may have a capital loss.

Last edited by Spokaneinvestor; 09-25-2019 at 10:41 AM..

Old 09-25-2019, 10:24 AM

10,044 posts, read 7,545,625 times
the actual value of land can certainly go up and down.

your CPA is trying to explain to you accounting terms ... probably for an investment property. When depreciating an investment property, there's a schedule for the building, one for personal property, one for "landscaping"/exterior items, and then no schedule for land to be depreciated

Old 09-25-2019, 10:30 AM

6,293 posts, read 3,533,791 times
In accounting terms he's right. Roughly translated, in accounting, depreciation means "the cost of wearing out". Depreciation is a schedule where an item of value has a purchase price and a life span, and you depreciate the purchase price over the life of the item. Land doesn't "wear out". It will not be worn out in 5 or 10 or 50 years and need to be replaced. The buildings on it, might.

It may go up or down in value, but that's not the same thing... in accounting terms.

Last edited by Diana Holbrook; 09-25-2019 at 10:41 AM..

Old 09-25-2019, 12:36 PM

2,282 posts, read 6,049,716 times
In some neighborhoods,the land portion is assessed for tax purposes higher than the dwelling.

Old 09-25-2019, 02:03 PM

10,044 posts, read 7,545,625 times
anywhere popular that the dirt is limited and the houses are old, I bet there's a great % where land value > building value.

Old 09-25-2019, 04:21 PM

2,041 posts, read 1,423,078 times
Until you have a flood.

Old 09-25-2019, 04:45 PM

6,049 posts, read 1,546,222 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LifeIsGood01 View Post

You haven't been to California much, right? It's ALL land value there. Except newer, bigger home. But even then a lot of the value is in the land.

Old 09-25-2019, 05:27 PM
DKM

3,118 posts, read 1,113,257 times
Land cannot depreciate but it can be impaired.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate