U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-27-2019, 02:53 PM

16,359 posts, read 13,994,164 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by iSudo View Post
We live in a very pet friendly city. Dog parks, patios that allow dogs, etc. It's mind blowing that anyone would take issue with this considering how many animals live around us or have lived where we live now. We only have a cat, but I can tell you she'll be our last pet adoption after she's gone because of this experience.
Your going to deny yourself the pleasure of pet ownership because one person (who probably has issues upstairs) had an issue with it?

Seriously?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-27-2019, 02:56 PM

127 posts, read 32,460 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by boxus View Post
Your going to deny yourself the pleasure of pet ownership because one person (who probably has issues upstairs) had an issue with it?

Seriously?
Have you read some of the comments here? I feel like a pariah for having a pet. These people telling me my house probably smells like a litter box, and I can't do anything about it since we're allegedly "nose blind".

To answer your question, no, probably not. I was mostly being facetious, but frustratingly so. This experience has made me feel and think a lot of things that are not typical of me.

Old 09-27-2019, 03:48 PM

6,356 posts, read 3,553,810 times
iSudo... Try not to hold comments against us! None of us have any actual facts about your home. All we can really do is blindly speculate.

If you're right though, it is one good example though of why supposed buyer feedback is only marginally useful... it can lead to the seller obsessing on the wrong thing, based on one person's feedback opinion.

Old 09-27-2019, 04:00 PM

866 posts, read 277,235 times
I would take it off the market until spring and then try again with a better agent. We have had crappy agents and sometimes there is no way to tell in advance. Spring is the best time to sell. Using pets for a discount is stupid. Even back when I didn’t have any and I am very allergic to cats it didn’t matter because we always pull up all the carpet.

Old 09-27-2019, 06:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diana Holbrook View Post
iSudo... Try not to hold comments against us! None of us have any actual facts about your home. All we can really do is blindly speculate.

If you're right though, it is one good example though of why supposed buyer feedback is only marginally useful... it can lead to the seller obsessing on the wrong thing, based on one person's feedback opinion.
Thanks for giving some perspective, Diana! You are right about that last statement. As I’m sure you can imagine, this has been an emotionally frustrating experience.

Thank you though to those who genuinely tried to help. There were some very informative comments across a few of my threads.

Old 09-27-2019, 06:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teacher Terry View Post
I would take it off the market until spring and then try again with a better agent. We have had crappy agents and sometimes there is no way to tell in advance. Spring is the best time to sell. Using pets for a discount is stupid. Even back when I didn’t have any and I am very allergic to cats it didn’t matter because we always pull up all the carpet.
Yeah, this is exactly what we’ll be doing. We’re also going to get a quote to build off the additional bedroom to make us more competitive. Hopefully it’ll draw more buyers looking at our price point, which is still a relative bargain in our area. Aside from some condos in the area, we were one of the cheapest on the market.

Old 09-27-2019, 07:47 PM

6,356 posts, read 3,553,810 times
Quote:
Yeah, this is exactly what we’ll be doing. We’re also going to get a quote to build off the additional bedroom to make us more competitive. Hopefully it’ll draw more buyers looking at our price point, which is still a relative bargain in our area. Aside from some condos in the area, we were one of the cheapest on the market.

Building out to three bedrooms is smart. It will put you in a whole 'nuther search from two bedrooms. Even if yours is convertable... many will balk at doing the work and even if they are willing, they'll over-estimate the amount it will cost, and expect a discount to do it.

Old 09-27-2019, 08:11 PM

16,359 posts, read 13,994,164 times
You must live in one hell of a buyer market.

Old 09-28-2019, 10:56 AM

5,634 posts, read 5,044,250 times
Quote:
In our recent home selling experience, I've noticed a trend in people expecting deep discounts because of the way you've decorated a home, or the furniture you've arranged, or the fact that you own a pet. Keep in mind, all of these things are temporary attributes inside the home and would be leaving with the owner once they move out. Even as it pertains to the pets, it's not as if the home has taken on damage from the pets; it's their mere existence that provokes this request. Obviously, we'd be open to offering minor credits at closing for any cleaning/repairs that may be required as result of our own doing.

I've had a number of people tell me I should drop the price significantly because of these factors. Is this normal behavior? As someone with more of an engineer mindset, this seems completely impractical and unreasonable to me. These are not things being sold with the home; the home itself is what is being sold and should be valued based on its own condition. Am I crazy for thinking this way?
Furniture placement? Won't the sellers be taking their furniture with them??

Old 09-28-2019, 12:07 PM

7,374 posts, read 4,068,724 times
Quote:
V

Did you bother reading the OP?

The “problems with my house” do not warrant deep discounts. Decor, furniture, and pet odors do not warrant deep discounts. Small credits, sure. Deep discounts, no.

We are likely priced too high relative to comps, and that can be fixed with a minor price reduction. There are no “problems” with our house other than that, and we’ve come to this conclusion over time since. A big problem is that early on we received feedback from other agents that we were priced right. My realtor hasn’t much done anything about giving us feedback in the last few weeks. He’s merely told us to “hold tight, it’s a matter of finding the right buyer”.

In the meantime, with the lack of proper feedback, our minds have been running crazy figuring out why nobody is making any offers after the showings. Our house is in good shape, it’s been updated, we have decent professional photos. So yeah, it’s frustrating that we are shooting in the dark trying to pinpoint the issue.

I apologize that our distress and confusion irritates you. We are not real estate professionals. In fact, we are very inexperienced with a lot of things in life, and we have very little resources available to us to provide us with guidance with these decisions. None of our friends or family have sold a house in the past 30+ years. Maybe this wasn’t the correct forum to post on.
It seems that you have come to grips with the idea that your house is overpriced and the lack of offers is not due to perceived irrational ideas of those who have seen it. Congratulations. You can now get about selling it without worrying about how much your furniture is dragging down its value.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or